Can science prove God ?

cornel

Science proves God?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Science proves or increases the chance for a God to exist?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • Is something that science can't properly explain
    • Science disproves God

6 minutes ago, EWyatt said:

agree with most of your comments, but "afterlife" isn't really what I wrote about.  My point was that if we are here now, why not again.  If physics can get us here this time, why not again?

In the OP afterlife is mentioned.

It seems extremely unlikely. The cosmological model for the observable universe from the earliest known periods through its subsequent large-scale   evolution is what formed this solar system. And one planet (Earth) in this solar system had the correct composition for abiogenesis which developed/evolved humans.  Our history is what forms us.

In what way can all of this happen again?

On 1/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, Silvana said:

What would it take to convince a skeptic to believe, or a believer not to believe?

I have to be careful I'm not jumping to the wrong conclusions, but I am guessing based on the story labeled doubting Thomas that it would only take an act or leap of faith on the new believers part. If my assumption is accurate, I'm wondering why science's approval would even be sought by a believer? Now for a believer not to believe, nothing more than anger, frustration, and sorrow. Based on personal experience. Otherwise perhaps peer pressure?

first, you have to give us more info. but any definition of god I have heard cannot be true. like the there was nothing then there was nothing if god was real it would line up with our laws and most likely with the vast majority of our theories on how the world works which he does not. but if someone can tell me how I would love to hear.

also when someone says stuff, like I am a believer, can sci prove/disprove they don't change their view they become defensive.

57 minutes ago, peterwlocke said:

first, you have to give us more info. but any definition of god I have heard cannot be true. like the there was nothing then there was nothing if god was real it would line up with our laws and most likely with the vast majority of our theories on how the world works which he does not. but if someone can tell me how I would love to hear.

also when someone says stuff, like I am a believer, can sci prove/disprove they don't change their view they become defensive.

I'm anxious to see your evidence for that assertion. It sounds suspiciously faith-based to me.

21 hours ago, zapatos said:

I'm anxious to see your evidence for that assertion. It sounds suspiciously faith-based to me.

conservation of mass-energy by Antione Lavoisier then built upon to be the first law of thermodynamics by Julius Robert Mayer. says (paraphrasing) that nothing can poof into existent so how could God be real if he just creates stuff. at least the big bang comes from a super dense point.

p.s. you made it sound like I believe in god(which I don't).

Edited by peterwlocke

19 minutes ago, peterwlocke said:

conservation of mass-energy by Antione Lavoisier then built upon to be the first law of thermodynamics by Julius Robert Mayer. says (paraphrasing) that nothing can poof into existent so how could God be real if he just creates stuff. at least the big bang comes from a super dense point.

p.s. you made it sound like I believe in god(which I don't).

What I'm asking for is your evidence that a "real" God would be bound by the same laws that we are as you asserted.

Just now, zapatos said:

What I'm asking for is your evidence that a "real" God would be bound by the same laws that we are as you asserted.

well, you have a point there why would God be bound to the same laws as us. I will think of a reason but my reply for know is idk.

6 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

not what you asserted.

I did not say God was good in my first post you brought it up actually and look at all the bad things that have been done in gods name even the bible has some bad stuff in it it is an outdated way of thinking.

1 minute ago, peterwlocke said:

I did not say God was good in my first post you brought it up actually and look at all the bad things that have been done in gods name even the bible has some bad stuff in it it is an outdated way of thinking.

no shit... :doh:

On 3/24/2019 at 11:37 AM, Itoero said:

In the OP afterlife is mentioned.

In what way can all of this happen again?

Not "all of this to happen again" but our self awareness (self conscious being, our life!) could happen again.  It only seems logical: if our self-conscious life happened once due to pure physics, why not again in another time, another universe perhaps, given the right prescription of physics again. 

26 minutes ago, EWyatt said:

Not "all of this to happen again" but our self awareness (self conscious being, our life!) could happen again.  It only seems logical: if our self-conscious life happened once due to pure physics, why not again in another time, another universe perhaps, given the right prescription of physics again. 

context is important... ;)

life could happen again but my life wont.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it highly unlikely that a God actually exists.

Look at the human body for instance. Surely if God created the human body then he could have created something much stronger and durable. The human body is far from perfect and this is why there are so many diseases, disorders, extreme pain, infirmities and other bad things happening with our body all because the human body is very far from perfect.

Also look at the vastness of space. If God really created the universe and everything then he will surely make it so that Interstellar/intergalactic travel would be possible for humans. But what the evidence shows is that interstellar/intergalactic travel is impossible for humans so it's highly unlikely that a God engineered things to work this way, like making fast-than-light travel to be impossible for humans, for instance.

Edited by seriously disabled

18 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

Look at the human body for instance. Surely if God created the human body then he could have created something much stronger and durable.

Our species would have overrun the planet by now if we didn't die off. Building in our own obsolescence also helps the species evolve more vibrantly.

21 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

Also look at the vastness of space. If God really created the universe and everything then he will surely make it so that Interstellar/intergalactic travel would be possible for humans.

This assumes two things. One, that this god wanted species from one system to interact with those from others. Perhaps it prefers keeping its lab samples separated?

And two, you assume this wasn't a challenge we're supposed to overcome with our big old brains. Perhaps this god subscribes to the throw-them-in-the-deep-end school of thought? Because after all, don't the folks who overcome the biggest challenges deserve the biggest rewards? Maybe this god wants to weed out the ones who are just going to whine about obstacles.

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, mar_mar said:

I think, no I'm sure, if scientists  prove the existence of God, it will be beginning of the end. Because faith will disappear. 

If religious faith disappeared, the rest of us could progress and create heaven here on Earth. 

47 minutes ago, mar_mar said:

Do you know where The Kingdom of Heaven is?

Yes. It is the eradication of all evil on earth by God, reestablishing his kingdom on earth.  According to Jesus it had to occur soon, maybe even during his lifetime, but surely very soon. Church members of Paulus were greatly worried about the fact that some of their companions had died, even before the last day.

So the kingdom of Heaven should have been in place here on earth for already nearly 2000 years according to the bible. So the bible is wrong.