Presidential Alert system

Ten oz

23 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

If one person in 10  switches the TV on "to see what's happening" that will be a big power spike.

If it knocks the power grid out (even locally) and that causes something important to fail (traffic lights would be an obvious possibility) then Trump's vanity project will kill people.

Are there any Trump supporters here who would like to comment on why they think he' doing a good job?

I have been curious what the impetus for this was. If it is something long digesting or something Trump asked for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think there should be an option to opt out. 

A new lawsuit filed in New York is seeking to stop the implementation of FEMA's new "Presidential Alert" messaging system, an alert used for national emergencies that can be deployed by President Trump. Plaintiffs in Manhattan are suing Mr. Trump and FEMA Administrator Brock Long, claiming the alert system is a "violation of Americans' First and Fourth Amendment rights to be free from Government-compelled listening, as well as warrantless, non-consensual trespass into and seizure of their cellular devices." 

Plaintiffs compare the alert system to "hijacking private property for the purpose of planting a Government-controlled loudspeaker in the home and on the person of every American." 

According to FEMA, the alert is not a text or SMS (short message service) but an audio and text warning that will display as a notification across a user's cell phone -- similar to the ones carriers receive during AMBER alerts and weather emergencies. A test of the new alert system is scheduled for this Wednesday after being postponed due to Hurricane Florence. The test, according to FEMA, is intended to asses the readiness of the country's alert systems and is scheduled for 2:18 p.m. ET. 

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/10/02/national-presidential-alert-system-donald-trump-text-message-fema-homeland-security/

On 9/19/2018 at 2:49 PM, Ten oz said:

I have been curious what the impetus for this was. If it is something long digesting or something Trump asked for. 

Long digesting.

Then-President Barack Obama signed a law in 2016 requiring FEMA to create a system allowing the president to send cellphone alerts regarding public safety emergencies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-alerts/america-to-buzz-as-phones-get-presidential-alert-test-wednesday-idUSKCN1MC2R0

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I think in the event of a national emergency one would want it from the horse's mouth. 

The President gets his or her info from Emergency Agencies. The horse's mouth would be theirs. Waiting for an emergency to hit the Presidents desk and get filtered through political optics before being sent out doesn't seem anymore efficient to be than the current systems already in place. 

5 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Long digesting.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Ten oz said:

The President gets his or her info from Emergency Agencies. The horse's mouth would be theirs. Waiting for an emergency to hit the Presidents desk and get filtered through political optics before being sent out doesn't seem anymore efficient to be than the current systems already in place. 

Thank you

I was thinking about World War 3. :) 

12 hours ago, iNow said:

I got it. It was sort of like getting an Amber Alert from the guy who kidnaped and raped the kid, tho

I felt the same way. At the time, I was reading a piece on how Trump campaigned on rising crime when it was at the lowest it had been, and now crime has actually surged during his administration. Then came the Apricot Alert....

• 1 month later...

Well, despite a few people thinking people were gonna die if Trump got his hands on the Presidential alert system, nobody has yet, and it's 2(almost 3) months in.

It's not bothering me, it hasn't done any damage, and it doesn't seem like even Trump is abusing it, so I don't have a problem with it.