Mushrooms

KinG

Hey i have a question about mushrooms and psilocybin. It's been an interesting topic to me and im curious what the hazards and effects this has on the brain or the body. Please inform me heh ;)

as far as i know shrooms are in the category like weed and lsd and opiates of causing no real long term harm to the body except in excess

unlike the opiates but just like weed and lsd shrooms are nonaddictive.

like weed and lsd there is a very high ld50 (when 50% of lab animals died during testing) so it is hard to OD and kill yourself

but if you od you can have a majorly bad trip and go nuts.

the biggest danger of shrooms comes in if you try to move/walk around/drive (never drive, only walk with a sober/more sober friend with you)

I'd say the greater risk comes from inadvertently using one of the several toxic species that look like 'magic' mushrooms.

It's a good idea to be sure about how you're going to define "excess" if you are claiming that drugs have no long term effects.

Opiates can damage sexual and reproductive systems, cause loss of weight due to disrupted digestive processes, and damage the immune system.

LSD causes tolerance, can increase the risk of severe mental disturbances,and can cause ‘flashbacks’ where drug experiences may recur without warning at some time in the future .

LSD is not addictive and causes short-term tolerance only, because unlike opiates it does not destroy the receptors that it affects. It does not increase the risk on mental disturbances occuring, but can trigger an existing mental condition to become more prominent. Flashbacks occur in approximately 14% of people, however less than 1% find them disturbing... and in that case it's almost always after a bad trip. The mechanism by which flashbacks occur is the same for any intense emotional experience, and is not related to altered brain chemistry or neurological damage, or presence of the drug (it does NOT form permanent crystals in your brain, and it certainly does not drain spinal fluid; these are myths).

With psilocybin, the effects are less intense, less real, and much less likely to cause side effects. The mechanism of action is similar to LSD.

LSD and psilocybin are not in the same class as marijuana and opiates. Opiates cause long-term depletion of dopamine receptors and are highly addictive in addition to whats already been mentioned by Sayonara. Marijuana is the least powerful of the three, and has now been linked to lung cancer.

no cases of weed induced lung cancer have ever been found by an properly conducted studies that I have known. Regardless if it did that would be in extremely heavy, long term prolonged use, and that would be from smoking anyway and there are several other ways of administering weed.

Opiates on the other hand according to most studies available cause very little long term damage other than physical addiction. No increased risk of heart disease, cancer, and the like. The bowel problems associated with it are indeed trouble, but they dont qualify as long term problems in that they stop when you stop using or soon after at least.

lsd fafalone is right on about flashbacks arent actual problems of the drug, they are just like normal flashbacks to any intense emotional experience, and tend to come from bad trips. its tolerance, Like mushrooms, is short lived and only short term.

mushrooms, i disagree about there being a big problem with them being poisonous. If you are picking them out of the wild, then yea, but most that are sold for recreational use are now specifically cultivated under very set conditions, and thus the chances of them being poisonous drops to near nothing.

excess just to note would be defined by me in a different way for each drug. With weed id say an ounce a week or more (which is exactly the amount that the UK government report specified as being necessary to cause noticable damage). With opiates id be more inclinded to say anything above sporatic use, say more often than twice a week (mind you people have been smoking opium in good sized quantities up to and beyond three times a day in central asia for centuries and they still have babies and dont die after a single caugh).

so then i shouldn't have any worries about psilocybin ? because im trying it out this summer, and just wanted to make sure that its not too much of a risk, because i heard people tell me it wasn't though.

rofl. let me reiterate

ScienceForums.net staff will not be held liable for any damages, be they direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special, or exemplary that you may incur by using this site or information contained within.

we don't condone drug use either :)

just to clear my rear.

• 1 year later...

i too am interested in both lsd and "silo". i am ultradian bipolar and if i use either one of these once every 2 months i am perfectly fine. to me its better than taking the cocktail of drugs my docs want me too take. (i am by no means saying too try this nor do i condone it).

my question is i thought i read somewhere that introducing tatric acid into the substrate would make the shrooms more potent. wouldnt you have to modify the ph?