Florence the Hurricane

Edwina Lee

1 hour ago, Edwina Lee said:

DirtyChai's video showed up the acting done by the reporter as the boys strode along in shorts, somewhat wind & rain free.

He would be better off facing the wind if he's going to remain in one spot, but if you are walking and the wind is mostly behind you it is much easier going.

Honestly with the deaths and major flooding for the area they're not exaggerating much if any. Think we'll wrap up with the flooding and rescues, then start accessing the economic damage. Always gets me how much damage those rivers overflowing can do.

6 hours ago, iNow said:

What’s the point if this thread? What specifically do you wish to discuss? 

The topic started with discussing an apparent anomally with the air flow.

Now it has shifted to aspects of reporting. The reporters' behaviour seemed contrary to the physics.

There are aspects of physics & engineering which may come up in the shots for discussion:-

For example, in this video of Typhoon Manghkut, a table is flying at the top floors of a high rise block:-

@0:27   https://www.facebook.com/nury.vittachi/videos/10156734007941214/?t=0

5 hours ago, Edwina Lee said:

For example, in this video of Typhoon Manghkut, a table is flying at the top floors of a high rise block:-

@0:27   https://www.facebook.com/nury.vittachi/videos/10156734007941214/?t=0

!

Moderator Note

I split your post about Typhoon Manghkut to its own thread. Please use that to discuss this different storm in a different part of the planet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am back, just got my isp back, 9 days with no power, 19 days with no tv phone or internet. I have been through more than a dozen hurricanes, had the eye of several including a strong cat 3 go over me. This was the worst storm I have ever seen, it stayed over us forever, usually you might get 24 hours of wind and rain, we got 4 days of wind and rain. I have never seen rain even close to this intense in my life. Tornadoes were rampant throughout the storm, 20 or more city blocks around me were flattened by tornadoes. Huge trees more than a meter thick and 25 or 30 meters tall were twisted up and out of the ground by the roots, houses were demolished electrical service was simply wiped out. 3500+ people had to be rescued due to flood waters. Three people a block away from me were killed when a tree smashed their house, even though the maximum sustained winded were only 109 mph 175 kph, the winds and heavy rains stayed over us for almost 4 days, it was a nightmare... I will post photos...  

13 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I am back, just got my isp back, 9 days with no power, 19 days with no tv phone or internet. I have been through more than a dozen hurricanes, had the eye of several including a strong cat 3 go over me. This was the worst storm I have ever seen, it stayed over us forever, usually you might get 24 hours of wind and rain, we got 4 days of wind and rain. I have never seen rain even close to this intense in my life. Tornadoes were rampant throughout the storm, 20 or more city blocks around me were flattened by tornadoes. Huge trees more than a meter thick and 25 or 30 meters tall were twisted up and out of the ground by the roots, houses were demolished electrical service was simply wiped out. 3500+ people had to be rescued due to flood waters. Three people a block away from me were killed when a tree smashed their house, even though the maximum sustained winded were only 109 mph 175 kph, the winds and heavy rains stayed over us for almost 4 days, it was a nightmare... I will post photos...  

Good to have you back. Stay safe.

1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

I've been told my house made the national news, I don't know because today will be my first view of the news since this went down. I did let a female news reporter come in and use the facilities, maybe that is why... 

Did that involve gators?

10 hours ago, CharonY said:

Did that involve gators?

Nah, she did have a thick French accent, I think she was a foreign reporter, I've not seen her on TV but then I don't watch much TV. I thought it would be a good deed to let her in off the street. Women have more of a problem finding a place to go tinkle... The storm was still raging pretty hard when she showed up but i guess news people are invincible..  

I was told Lester Holt (from ABC news?) Was on the scene when they pulled the fatalities from the destroyed home

Edited by Moontanman

15 hours ago, Edwina Lee said:

Your former house Moontanman?

I guess you will claim on your house insurance to build a tornado proof & flood proof home now?

May be using 3D printing tech with a 21st century design?

Not my house, it is the house where three people were killed, it was a couple blocks from my house... 

12 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Hi Moontanman

Sorry for the losses in your community. Glad you are safe. I hope your new normalcy is bearable and things trend upward

Well, the food and freezer will be expensive to replace, I'm gaining ground on removing the down trees, the house is slowly being cleaned up, still lots to do, I am slow but steady... 

12 hours ago, iNow said:

I seem to remember you having Bassett hounds. They okay, too, I hope?

And the aquariums?

The bassets suffered greatly, they are old dogs now and the heat and humidity was hard on them. One of them went deaf during the outage, not sure why, he is still capable of smelling and seeing but most bassets pretend to be deaf to their own names at a distance of a few feet but can hear a treat package being opened at 300 meters. The other one is perking up, if a basset can be described as perky. 

I lost some of my breeder fish, adult F2 breeders of spotted bullhead all six of them. Back to the starting board on them the rest made it through ok.  

1 hour ago, Moontanman said:

Well, the food and freezer will be expensive to replace, I'm gaining ground on removing the down trees, the house is slowly being cleaned up, still lots to do, I am slow but steady...

FEMA or state may do something to help with the lost food.

Glad that you and yours made it through safely

Edited by Endy0816

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.