Effects of Rap

Novalocity

Rap along with music in general can develop people and affect them to change their perspective, and their personalities. My question for you is, Why is rap considered one of the most influential music genres to affect people compared to other genres in this world? I know that personally I have had a lot of influence from rap music specifically and it has changed the way I act, speak, and even see the world. 

2 minutes ago, Novalocity said:

I guess I mean more the psychology behind it because rap has always had the most influence over it's fans ever since the beginning. I'm not sure if it's just subject matter or if it is just the history behind it's creation.

Are you sure about that?

57 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

For shizzle...

51 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I do like the groove sometimes of rap.... Hey, yeah man. :D 

Oh god no... MC Dimreepr and DJ StringJunky in da house. 

You know that feeling when you watch or listen to something and you’re embaressed? :P 

Edited by koti

4 minutes ago, Novalocity said:

Yes, actually I am 100% sure. There have been studies on fan commitment in different genres.

Good. You should have no problem providing links to those studies then. Were they published in peer-reviewed journals?

Edited by Strange

35 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I do know an MC, you know, and he said I'm a bad mutha. ;)

Hey wait a minute!

Don't try to spin it!

You put the stroller in the trunk

with your baby still in it!

Rap seems to be more popular than 60s folk protest songs, but then all music is more popular now that so much is digital. Is rap more influential? Like all protest songs, the folks who should be listening shun this type of music.

1 hour ago, Novalocity said:

Yes, actually I am 100% sure. There have been studies on fan commitment in different genres.

People use to scream, cry, and pass out over for Sinatra, then Elvis, then the Beatles, Rollin' Stones, Michael Jackson, Prince, and son and so on. Every generation have artists they fall in love with. Nothing about what is happening rap music today is so different than previous generations.

Separately I would argue that pure Rap no longer exists. It is all just various mixtures of popular music. One verse might be rapped yet other verses sung. Fluid rappers like Krs-one, Nas, Slick Rick, DJ Quick, and etc are gone and today's landscape is littered with acts which are difficult to place in a single genre like Childish Gambino and rapper who seem to specialize in guest appearances like Drake.

13 hours ago, koti said:

I see I’m not the only one who used to be cool. 

Damn right, and I'll do it again, 'cause I am right so I gots to win.

First we gonna rock, then we gonna roll
Then we let it pop, go, let it go!
X gon' give it to ya, he gon' give it to ya
X gon' give it to ya, he gon' give it to ya