PFAS - Concrete/Cement

Ian Glover

Wondering if there could be any adverse effects from PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) that may affect the integrity/lifespan etc of concrete (esp. foundations)?

Whilst I do appreciate that that organic content in cements/concretes, <eg - lime> may act as a preferential sorption media over surrounding soils (depending on the chemistry of the soils), I cannot figure any deleterious integrity impacts to the concrete from the PFAS.

When considering construction, I would have thought only real issue is in regard to disposal of concrete at end of life (re: presence of PFAS)).

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks.

I would have to do some digging, but so far as known PFA confers additional protection against known concrete degradation processes eg ASR and Ettringite reactions.
I seem to remember it also delays carbonation, but that would not be of such importance in foundations.

But the significant use of PFA is on about 30 years old so we may have not yet hit any problem period that might yet occur.

The research (on PFA) I did was largely concerned with strength issues.

Edited by studiot

On 08/09/2018 at 1:32 AM, Ian Glover said:

Wondering if there could be any adverse effects from PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) that may affect the integrity/lifespan etc of concrete (esp. foundations)?

Whilst I do appreciate that that organic content in cements/concretes, <eg - lime> may act as a preferential sorption media over surrounding soils (depending on the chemistry of the soils), I cannot figure any deleterious integrity impacts to the concrete from the PFAS.

When considering construction, I would have thought only real issue is in regard to disposal of concrete at end of life (re: presence of PFAS)).

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks.

But their use in that application would, it seems, be deleterious to the environment at large, given their stability/persistence and bioaccumulative effects.  In short, they are  classed as contaminants outside specific applications.

http://www.defence.gov.au/estatemanagement/governance/policy/environment/PFAS/docs/DefencePFASManagementFrameworkforConstructionandMaintenanceProjects.pdf

Edited by StringJunky

11 hours ago, StringJunky said:

But their use in that application would, it seems, be deleterious to the environment at large, given their stability/persistence and bioaccumulative effects.  In short, they are  classed as contaminants outside specific applications.

http://www.defence.gov.au/estatemanagement/governance/policy/environment/PFAS/docs/DefencePFASManagementFrameworkforConstructionandMaintenanceProjects.pdf

My apologies for misreading I though you meant PFA in the plural (there are many types).

I was not aware of the direct use of these in concrete products, but to compensate here is a list of compounds used as plasticisers in building products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticizer#Compounds_used_as_plasticizers