Mission to the center of the earth

franco malgarini

• 1 month later...

Okay, being that it's been a month I don't want franco's thread to go to waste... that and I've been thinking lately about this myself too.

At 5 and a half minutes in, the narrator talks about the Kola superdeep borehole, which was halted only 1/3 of the way through the Earth's crust because at 180 celsius it was too hot for the drill to operate further. If one were to pour substances that had boiling points, even at high pressure, of less than 180 centigrade, down into that hole, could they have used the expansion due to boiling to generate power and/or bring the temperature down?

Edited by ScienceNostalgia101

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 7:44 AM, Strange said:

What are you looking for:

• Criticisms of your science-fiction artwork?
  • Or the top 10 reasons why this idea won't work?

Let's go with the top 10 option.

I'll start:

#1: Thus says the LORD: “If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done, declares the LORD.”

:P

On 06/10/2018 at 11:44 PM, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

Okay, being that it's been a month I don't want franco's thread to go to waste... that and I've been thinking lately about this myself too.

So our current drilling capability has only taken us 0.2% of the way there. We will have to continue using indirect investigative methods for a long time yet.

Until the last few years, we have also been unable to recreate in the laboratory the conditions of pressure and temperature at depth.

The diamond anvil has changed all this.

https://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/mineralogy/mineral_physics/diamond_anvil.html

Edited by studiot
spelling

10 hours ago, DirtyChai said:

Let's go with the top 10 option.

I'll start:

#1: Thus says the LORD: “If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done, declares the LORD.”

:P

!

Moderator Note

Religion is off-topic in the mainstream science sections. Any further discussion along these lines will be removed.

• 10 months later...

The center of the earth is hotter than any of our planet has ever cured in has the ability to melt metal within seconds. If the people of this planet are that eager to want to try and reach it go right on ahead but just be sure that you take a enclosure that can withstand the heat.

the people that may try this have a small mind set and may die from trying to attempt this.

8 hours ago, Aly said:

the people that may try this have a small mind set and may die from trying to attempt this.

The compound Si2HSb2 does not have the properties* described in the picture. Anyone trying this specific piece of crap will not be hurt, at least not from carving too deep using Si2HSb2.

*) link to trash: scienceforums/si2hsb2-crystal