what created the big bang?

Kekethedoll

So I was watching this show " How the Universe Works " and A very Interesting Thought went through my mind specifically because this episode was about The Dark and Violent History of the Milky Way and I had seen an episode before about Dark Matter 

But something really intrigued Me. And that Is " What even made the big bang start? " and then followed after that was "Did anything at all Begin the Big Bang? " Could you think of Processes that could of start such a violent explosion or Anything at that, that could explain why it even began? 

Or in simpler terms

How did Nothing Become Something? And I literally mean NOTHING 

2 minutes ago, Kekethedoll said:

But something really intrigued Me. And that Is " What even made the big bang start? " and then followed after that was "Did anything at all Begin the Big Bang? " Could you think of Processes that could of start such a violent explosion or Anything at that, that could explain why it even began? 

No one knows. But there are lots of ideas. None of them stable at the moment, because we don't have any theories that work in the very early stages of the universe.

All your current science can say is that the universe started out in a hot, dense state and then expanded and cooled. How that hot, dense state came about is unknown. It may have existed forever. It may have been trigged by a quantum fluctuation. Or the collapse of an earlier universe. Or the collapse of a black hole. Or ...

There is no evidence that such a thing happened. The nearest is the "zero energy universe" but that doesn't really start from "literally NOTHING".

4 hours ago, Phi for All said:

If a universe holds all the matter we see today compressed within its tiny boundaries, how is that "literally nothing"? Isn't it, in fact, LITERALLY EVERYTHING?

When envisaging this situation, people often put themselves 'outside' the universe and it leads them to that wrong conclusion.

5 hours ago, Kekethedoll said:

So I was watching this show " How the Universe Works " and A very Interesting Thought went through my mind specifically because this episode was about The Dark and Violent History of the Milky Way and I had seen an episode before about Dark Matter 

Or in simpler terms

A couple of points....Firstly the BB was not an explosion per se. It was the evolution of space and time [spacetime] from a very hot dense state from about t+10-43 seconds. There was no before and it didn't occur in anything...it happened everywhere in the observable universe, because the observable universe was packed to within that atomic nucleus size volume. The BB theory/model is not guess work and dragged out of someone's arse, it is overwhelmingly supported by observational evidence, so much so, that even the Catholic church recognises it, along with the evolution of life. Secondly, we don't know why it evolved and/or how it actually evolved or any causes. Ideas do abound, but these are speculative. Secondly one needs to define what they mean by nothing. Here are two links I often give that illustrate what I'm trying to say......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4a7F6dOdlc

and this....https://www.astrosociety.org/publication/a-universe-from-nothing/

13 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

When envisaging this situation, people often put themselves 'outside' the universe and it leads them to that wrong conclusion.

Perhaps it's wrong as well to refer to the early universe as "tiny", since a "universe" is the ultimate yardstick by which we judge size. "Extremely dense" is more accurate. 

4 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Perhaps it's wrong as well to refer to the early universe as "tiny", since a "universe" is the ultimate yardstick by which we judge size. "Extremely dense" is more accurate. 

Yep, and, if it's used, the 'tiny' only refers to our visible universe and yet the whole universe could be infinite. I love how crystal clear and obvious science is... it leaves me very puzzled why newcomers have difficulty understanding. :) 

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Yep, and, if it's used, the 'tiny' only refers to our visible universe and yet the whole universe could be infinite. I love how crystal clear and obvious science is... it leaves me very puzzled why newcomers have difficulty understanding. :) 

Bingo! Just pipped me at the post! :P

Edited by beecee