Electrical Energy

Theredbarron

3 hours ago, studiot said:

I'm having trouble picturing this

solid and tube?

Do you mean single conductor?

Perhaps a sketch?

This is a cutaway from the side and the top. The red arrows are the direction the electrons should flow and the blue is the direction of the armature. I'm thinking it may need teeth to help excite movement but just by varying the air gap on the sides of the armature.

Eddy power cutaway.jpg

I made one produce 3v dc but the distance was only about and inch and the magnet was much stronger than I think I need. 

There was to many factors to take into account and the fact that it was open circuit voltage. This is why I'm going to make an armature and possibly stator designed for this.

So a question about static electricity. Whats giving the van de Graaff machine its total current capacity? What I understand is the belt of cotton or whatever its using is carrying the electrical charges between the two drums. Is it attracting and repelling the electrons from the air at the point where the friction is happening?

The way I see it is that static electrical energy is a way of multiplying power possibly. The voltage potential created and stored over time when it takes so little to create it. If some dude on you tube can make thousands of volts with carboard and some aluminum foil then I think I can attempt to make something a little more exaggerated. The goal is to make it consume as little as possible so that storage time is longer then consumed. I'm  in the 1k watts range available for consumption so I need to work on voltage output and how to control it to beat that. I was actually thinking about using co2 as my air. An issue I'm having is there isn't a lot of co2 in the air here so if I can get one to work with our atmosphere then it should work with others presumably.

1 hour ago, Theredbarron said:

So a question about static electricity. Whats giving the van de Graaff machine its total current capacity?

I doubt it has much current capacity. I have been shocked by one: it was quite painful but did no harm because it could not generate enough current.

1 hour ago, Theredbarron said:

The voltage potential created and stored over time when it takes so little to create it.

There is a very high voltage but not much energy.

5 hours ago, Strange said:

I doubt it has much current capacity. I have been shocked by one: it was quite painful but did no harm because it could not generate enough current.

There is a very high voltage but not much energy.

Has anyone actually calculated the input and output of one of these?

10 hours ago, Theredbarron said:

So a little off subject. How would I calculate the acceleration rate of somethings weight that has a 23kg force opposing gravity continuously?

23 kg isn't a force, but if it's the weight equivalent of that mass that's being exerted, then it will exert an additional force of 23 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 225N

You say "opposing gravity", so that 225 N is upward. The net force is then (mg - 225N) and the acceleration is F/m

4 hours ago, swansont said:

23 kg isn't a force, but if it's the weight equivalent of that mass that's being exerted, then it will exert an additional force of 23 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 225N

You say "opposing gravity", so that 225 N is upward. The net force is then (mg - 225N) and the acceleration is F/m

Perfect thank you

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, Strange said:

Here are some simple calculations: http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/statcalc.htm

Doesn't the voltage build till its enough to jump the gap? If this is so then I should be able to control the voltage by storage only allowing it to build to a point then juggle the storage with another and use the one not connected to charge a bank. This would all be dependent upon how much I can create and collect.

50 minutes ago, Theredbarron said:

Doesn't the voltage build till its enough to jump the gap? If this is so then I should be able to control the voltage by storage only allowing it to build to a point then juggle the storage with another and use the one not connected to charge a bank. This would all be dependent upon how much I can create and collect.

Back when people did this stuff, the standard way of storing electricity was the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyden_jar

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, studiot said:

I'm having trouble picturing this

solid and tube?

Do you mean single conductor?

Perhaps a sketch?

Did you check out the sketch? Is it impossible? I had thought maybe the circuit that is connected to it would then become an eddy current on its own. Does any of it make sense? 

I also have an ac version of this. This one would be much easier to make first and to test it is why I'm curious.

I'm having a hard time getting just the air to create static electricity. I was thinking of making a bigger wheel designed to create a dust tornado for lack of a better description. It would collect the local dust and air to spin it around. Then I would have collectors and what I'm calling friction pads to create and harness the static electrical energy that gets developed. I couldn't quite find a way to use just the air. I dont know how well it will work on earth but maybe it can work on mars. Mars has a lot of co2 and its pretty dry from what I understand. Could any of this work? I think its going to come down to the material that gets used as the friction pads and collectors on how much it can generate and collect. I have been trying to come up with a way to use Teflon for one pole and aluminum for the other. What materials would create more static electrical energy by the dust in the air then these two? Everything is being made to resist static charges and doesn't really give me an idea of how easy it can develop it. 

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Why would electrons flow from plus to minus?

They would only be flowing from plus to minus inside the conductor. The attraction would come from the positive diode when attached to a circuit. The neg diode may have to be away from the area where the armature is rotating. So somewhere in between the positive charged end and the point where the armature ends inside the tube is where the neg diode would have land. I drew it incorrectly in the picture. This is to allow electrons that are not completely pulled into the rotating field within the conductor to be attracted out into the circuit for use. Kind of like its own eddy current. 

The conductor will heat up and depending on it mass and density will choose how much it can handle. Current rating pretty much. 

1 minute ago, Theredbarron said:

They would only be flowing from plus to minus inside the conductor. The attraction would come from the positive diode when attached to a circuit. The neg diode may have to be away from the area where the armature is rotating. So somewhere in between the positive charged end and the point where the armature ends inside the tube is where the neg diode would have land. I drew it incorrectly in the picture. This is to allow electrons that are not completely pulled into the rotating field within the conductor to be attracted out into the circuit for use. Kind of like its own eddy current. 

This site doesn't have a suitable emoticon for this.

8 minutes ago, studiot said:

This site doesn't have a suitable emoticon for this.

I'm confused. Didn't you ask why the positive flows to the neg? It doesn't. When the electrons start to flow in the conductor it then charges the other end positive. 

Are you saying that its impossible?

Wings of an airplane create static electricity. What I was thinking is that in order for a wing to generate lift it needs a lot of air underneath at a pressure to cause a push. As the air passes the wing it create a low pressure zone to generate a lift effect on the wing. Since the pressure in front of the wing has more total electrical properties from its density it then creates a push once it has enough there based on the weight of the craft repelling like magnetism. In the low density area it has lower total electrical properties so it attracts the high density wing towards it creating a lift like a magnet. As the air rubs against the wings with its electrical properties it then rubs off some causing the collection of electrons on the wings. Then discharging whenever it has the right differential attraction. Everything is made to prevent static electricity. Is there particular material that would increase the static electricity collection or creation?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, Strange said:

Perhaps if you made the wings from (or covered them with) an insulating material?

is the wing getting the electrons from the air or is the air moving the electrons from the aluminum back and forth? I was thinking I might place an insulator next to a conductor that is actually grounded. I'm trying to find polarity.