artificial gravity

Gian

Science says (I think) we can make artificial gravity in space using a centrifugal force on the inside of a rotating circular structure.

If so, anyone know what maths and physics I need to calculate speed of rotation for a given radius of a circular spaceship?

Cheerz GIAN:D

Space station.jpg

13 minutes ago, Gian said:

Science says (I think) we can make artificial gravity in space using a centrifugal force on the inside of a rotating circular structure.

If so, anyone know what maths and physics I need to calculate speed of rotation for a given radius of a circular spaceship?

Cheerz GIAN:D

Space station.jpg

Personally I’m a fan of a phrase „simulating gravity” not „making artificial gravity” but thats just me.

Heres an online calculator you can use:

https://www.artificial-gravity.com/sw/SpinCalc/

From memory, going on the last time I read up on this, if you want to produce 1g, without problems from rotation in the inner ear, the minimum diameter of a station needs to be about 200 metres. 

The 1g figure might not be important for a trip to Mars, but if you want people living and reproducing healthily in space, then you have to aim at 1g. Because nobody knows what the effect of lower gravity would have on the development of embryos or children. And who's going to be the first to perform that experiment?

You don't need a huge station to get to the 200 metre figure though. You could have two living capsules, rotating connected by a 200 metre tether.