Pictures of Stars

This has to be relevant by looking at the apollo 11 mission to the moon, With all the pictures that are taken there is something missing, Where are the stars? When you go into space and look up shouldn't there be stars? Does nasa crop pictures of planets as well Because of pictures that I have seen with planets up close there are no stars? can someone answer this

The stars are there, it is just the they are too dim to be seen with the exposure used. The main objects in the picture (planet etc) are so bright compared to the stars, that the camera setting is such that the stars don't show up.

You see the same effect if you go out and look at the night sky during a moonless night compared to a night with a full moon. During a full moon you'll see a lot fewer stars than on a moonless night. If the moon were a little cloeser to the Earth, it would be bright enough that when you looked at it, you wouldn't see any stars at all.

Remember, it was daytime on the moon when they took those pictures, plus there was a big 'ol bright earth shining some light, too. "earthshine" is brighter than moonshine because the earth is larger and also has a much higher albedo (reflectivity).

As Janus notes, the pictures' exposures are proper for the surface reflections.

ANother question is after the moon landing at a presconfrence on t.v The astronauts were asked if they seen any stars from the moon, There answer was no? why was this?

If a camera that isn't overexposed can't see them, why should human eyes be able to? (i.e. look at the answers thus far) You'd have to be looking up, and be shielding the reflected light from view, in order to have a shot. Perhaps they just didn't go to all that bother.

(a cite for this press conference would be nice, btw)

Here is a link to a clip of one of the press conferences, The video is something totally different related, But I think It's in one of the two videos on the right, Sorry but Can't remember which one, But it is In One of the videos, and The astronaughts are answering questions I think one astronaught says That he may have seem some stars but the other one says that he did not see anything even at take off or approach of the moon, Here's the link, Sorry didn't feel like looking how to spell astronaught

http://www.hugequestions.com/911.swf

The videos on the page are interesting!! Check all of them Out!