Homemade plasma rifle

Plasmick

Hi my name is Mike I am 51years old and have been designing and building my mad inventions most of my life. 

I started contemplating a plasma gun about five years ago, I designed and began construction and after some time of deliberation I decided to use a shock tube design, It consisted of a charging circuit capacitor bank fired by an S.C.R discharging between two drilled graphite rods which are holding a magnesium wire inside a tea shaped burst disc sealed chamber it is holding back a high vacuum held inside a tapering barrell also fitted with a burst disk at the end, an intersecting tea junktion is fitted just before the end Birst disc to allow a vacuum to be drawn, a pipe leading to an on/off gas tap so the vacuum can be housed and the vacuum pump used can be used to draw a vacuum inside the hydrogen oxygen generator system I also designed, three other gas taps were used so four in total to govern gas flow and vacuum to prime the gun.

The generator pumps  both hydrogen and oxygen through a flashback arrester into the detonation chamber. 

It is a pretty cool design when the h2o2 detonates inside a partial vacuum it's gas is exellerated and expands at a higher velocity, also the plasma of the detonating wire super heats the gas vapourizing the birst disc and adding to the gas volume. 

The gas is then folded by a holed ceramic disc fitted in the birst disc cavity,....folded to a vortex it is drawn into the vacuum by expansion and retraction.

The  vortex is compressed and rotational speed increases as the vortex moves forward down the barrel.

The vortex heat is amplified by friction and reduction compression, as the plasma leaves though the guns final birst disc it's heat repels the air away forming a vacuum around itself and as it has no impact friction the speed it leaves the gun is the speed it hits the target at, shock waves would also cause damage. 

Heat from the operator's hands and body as well as a solar, would power a well made prototype mine is ok but I have to admit I would love to have had built a lightweight good looking gun that has try-gate re-usable birst discs and an electromagnetic vacuum forming piston maybe one day. 

P's i haven't fired mine as the construction could be unsafe so it will just be shelved until I can afford to upgrade to a fireing model. 

I hope that my idea has given all that can hopefully understand my explanation of the workings a need to experiment themselves either on paper or models... be cool...

Edited by Plasmick
Left out design features

If helium were to be added to the hydrogen oxygen vacuum and if the vacuum were to be a seventh of an atmosphere... at the point of detonation some of the graphite which would have been vaporised would be converter to Buckminster fulerene: carbon. 60.

And as C.60 has a molecular structure that of a football ie pentagons and hexagons it would lubricate the plasma and wouldn't be affected by the heat..just a thought!!! 

54 minutes ago, Plasmick said:

If helium were to be added ..

at the point of detonation some of the graphite which would have been vaporised would be converter to Buckminster fulerene: carbon. 60.

I think it can lubricate iirc.   Also - I though that a VERY small amount was made at the edge of any flame (candle even). Does helium increase the yield of this? I haven't looked at it in years.

18 hours ago, Plasmick said:

Not sure what you mean or are referring to...? 

C60 - you asked if it was a lubricant and seemed to suggest that adding helium would increase the amount of C60 made.

I do not know if enough would be generated to be lubricating. There is always a small amount produced during combustion - we were told at school (a long time ago) that it was produced at the edge of a candle flame. Why does helium increase the amount generated during combustion? Is that written somewhere? I hadn't heard about it.

Edited by DrP

1 minute ago, John Cuthber said:

What about adding helium to the combustion gas?  I've never heard of that and can't find anything to suggest it would increase the C60 yield. I was wondering where the OP got it from.  Mute anyway if it isn't actually a very good lubricant.

What is it supposed to be lubricating here in the OP anyway?  The travel of the plasma in the barrel? I am not sure I understand...  maybe I should have just kept quite in this thread after all, lol.

There's a synthesis of C60 based on running an carbon arc in helium.
I suspect that's what they are on about.
Since soot isn't stable in the presence of water vapour, this idea is doomed from the start.

It has that in common with the rest of the thread.

Carbon 60 was recreated on earth by scientists after observing it in gas nebular. It's molecular structure is that of many  footballs  it was created in a belljar with helium at a seventh of an atmosphere using graphite rods vaporised using an ark welder... What I am saying is if... whilst I vaporise electricaly magnesium wire using two graphite rods  to detonate hydrogen and oxygen in a combustion chamber and the partial vacuum is a seventh of an atmosphere with a little helium it could possibly lubricate the plasma...!!