Activated Charcoal Reaction

SunnySideEgg

I was researching how to create activated, I found a lot of material and eventually found the easiest method to be to chemically activate the charcoal. The method is fairly easy , but I have no idea what exactly is taking place in the reaction between the sodium chloride solution (dehydrating agent) and the carbon. I understand that the carbon is becoming porous thus increasing the surface area but how and why.

Below is a pdf that I was reading on the creation of activated charcoal. 

Activated Charcoal.pdf

Okay sorry, I'm just stupid I figured it out. I always figured charcoal was just carbon. As it turns out it is an impure form of carbon which has hydrogens and oxygens attached, when chemically activating charcoal the dehydrating agent,"During the process of activation, ZnCl2 eliminates hydrogen and oxygen atoms of carbon materials as water rather than as oxygenated organic compounds, thus leading to the generation of porosity as well as enhancing the carbon content."(Page 74 PDF Below) 

Also the creation of the porous structure is different for compounds such as hydroxides if anybody is mildly interested I highly suggest reading the pdf below. The file is to large to attach so I'll provide a direct link.

https://nccr.iitm.ac.in/e book-Carbon Materials final.pdf