What is the downfall of a person who can only see the big picture?

Achilles

I might be able to devise a good overall strategy, but be unable to come up with the tactics to implement it. Warfare in unfamiliar winter weather comes to mind.

If I need an acorn from an oak tree, I may not find it if I only see the forest.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to consider myself a visionary. I have constantly been told I have idealistic views about life and that I am a rare form of "real" person that sees life differently. I am still young and have always looked toward the big picture instead of the goals I must accomplish in order to achieve this outcome. I make rap music, but I dream of the end goal and not the process. This stifles me in many ways. Being a lyricist is a complex mission. You have to learn many things and put forth full dedication in order to gain improved trade skills. This is especially the case if you want to use your writings to change others perspective on life or certain subjects. You must see the journey to achieve your end goal. 

2 hours ago, Novalocity said:

I like to consider myself a visionary. I have constantly been told I have idealistic views about life and that I am a rare form of "real" person that sees life differently. I am still young and have always looked toward the big picture instead of the goals I must accomplish in order to achieve this outcome. I make rap music, but I dream of the end goal and not the process. This stifles me in many ways. Being a lyricist is a complex mission. You have to learn many things and put forth full dedication in order to gain improved trade skills. This is especially the case if you want to use your writings to change others perspective on life or certain subjects. You must see the journey to achieve your end goal. 

"No man is an island in and of itself", you're welcome to try.

On 24/08/2018 at 7:47 PM, Achilles said:

All the details somehow connect to the big picture so that is all they care about. What is this persons downfall?

They make terrible entrepreneurs and managers because they can't understand that there is a lot of practical work required to realise their vision.

They make terrible team members because they can't understand that there is a lot of practical work required to get the project done. (I used to work with a guy who was great at the "big picture" new product ideas; but half way through every project he would just wander off, leaving others in the lurch, because he had had another "big idea.")

They make terrible freelancers because they can't be trusted to delver on time, because they never remember how much work is involved to complete a job. Or they just leave things half-done.

But apart from that ...

6 hours ago, Novalocity said:

If you spend all your time focused on the problem, you have no time to think of the solution. Big problems almost never get suddenly solved by large, sweeping strategies. Tactical baby steps take chunks out of the problem and make it more manageable. 

And don't fall into the "visionary" trap. It will lead you into the "you can't plan art" trap, which sets you up for the "must remove all distractions" trap, which dumps you right into the "nobody understands what I'm trying to do" trap. The journey IS the goal.

37 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

If you spend all your time focused on the problem, you have no time to think of the solution. Big problems almost never get suddenly solved by large, sweeping strategies. Tactical baby steps take chunks out of the problem and make it more manageable. 

And don't fall into the "visionary" trap. It will lead you into the "you can't plan art" trap, which sets you up for the "must remove all distractions" trap, which dumps you right into the "nobody understands what I'm trying to do" trap. The journey IS the goal.

To quote a famous classical guitarist: "If you can't play it slowly, how can you play it quickly?".