Do electrons occupy a point in space for a time interval

Achilles

11 hours ago, Achilles said:

Whether we observe it or not, do electrons or subatomic particles in general occupy a specific point in space for a certain amount of time.

Further to swansont's post, I wanted to mention the atomic orbital as about the closest way of knowing where the electron is at a certain point.

It is impossible to absolutely define the position (momentum and location) of an electron in space and time. Instead electrons are described as having different probabilities of distribution around the atomic center. These volumes of space (where an electron is found more often) are called atomic orbitals..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_orbital

Edited by Silvestru

2 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

My understanding of the theory (not an expert by any stretch but my understanding of the way the theory works, so feel free to correct me) is that one point is insufficient to account for the effect, where the sum of probabilities does.

Oh apologies, I meant at a certain point in time if that is what you are referring to.

5 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

That was how I took it also. Does my answer make sense in that context?

Hmm I understand what you mean but not sure how to answer. Well this makes it more complicated as according to Bohr model, 2 electrons(max) can occupy any one orbital at any one time.(I'm afraid to use this term because of you from now on :o)

I think we can use the term the OP used in the title "time interval".