Neurophysiology of the tollerance

What is the neurophysiologic mechanism which stands behind the tolerance? For example, if we offer a good cake to a person who didn't eat any confectionary for a while, majority of people will find it tasty. However, if we will feed the same person with a good cake every day, majority of people will find it not as pleasurable let say after a year of the regular cake consumption. What happens to the brains of people when phycological response to some stimulus dulls with time? Can we do something to the brain, so it will always excite with the same strength to some particular stimulus? I think the same thing can be related not necessarily to the sensory perceptions, but also to the world of fantasies. For example, it is difficult to find a man who would be obsessed with idea to purchase some particular make of the car for all his life and wouldn't give preference to a newer and better model when he will ultimately get money to purchase a high class auto. Etc.

I think a good example of the effect I talk about is watching movies or listening music. Hardly some person will watch even the most interesting movie every day during the years or listen the most beautiful song whole days for a years around.