Is this really that bad?

Phi for All

Long story long: Weekday morning, about quarter of seven, sun's up, I'm driving back roads to get to my destination, very light traffic, beautiful weather. I have the radio on, I have a coffee in the cup holder, and I'm using cruise control to keep me at the speed limit of 40 mph as I sip my coffee and enjoy the drive. The roads I'm on are mostly straight shots, with very few curves. It's not a difficult drive.

There's nobody in front of me, and the car behind me is pretty far behind me, and seems to also be doing the speed limit since he isn't getting any closer. Perfect! I'm in a nice zone and all is well. Eventually I get to stop light that's red. I stop and the guy that was behind me catches up. When the light turns green, I take off, get up to speed and resume my cruise control at the same speed limit. 

Now, however, the guy behind me is tailgating me pretty bad. It seems irrational. He was OK with the speed limit before, so I don't get it. So I do what I always do with tailgaters. I waved at him. Sort of a goofy fast wave, like "You're so close it's like we're friends!" Normally, folks either back right off, or do so after a few seconds when they see I'm not speeding up. But I can see this guy is angry and yelling through the windshield! There's nobody but us on the road, I'm doing the speed limit, and I can't figure it out. I do an exaggerated shrug and put my right hand palm up, like "What's going on?"

About that time, he signals to turn right into an office park ahead. There's a turn lane for it, so he moves over and speeds up. I'm still on cruise control, and I realize he wants me to know why he's mad! He's going to speed up alongside me before he has to do a hard brake to make his turn, probably to flip me off, or yell so I can hear him. I'm kind of glad because I can't figure this one out, and kind of amused that he thinks it's this important for me to know. I made sure the intersection was clear all around, then I looked back over my shoulder at this guy to see what his beef was.

You know what he did? He mimicked me drinking coffee from a mug. It was so unexpected, I had no response. I drove the rest of the way to my destination shaking my head.

If I was on the highway, with multiple lanes and higher speeds, I wouldn't be eating or drinking anything because of the extra need to focus. But this was single lanes through a suburban/office park area in very light traffic, very early.

It seemed completely irrational to me that he would object to that, put us both at risk for that, so of course my mind is trying to make sense of it. It's such a common practice in the US to sip coffee on your morning commute. We have drive-up Starbucks everywhere. Cars aren't sold without cup holders. I've wondered if he objected to me using my own bright red latte mug instead of a paper cup, but again that seems bizarre. Briefly, I wondered if he thought I was drinking booze, but it was so early in the morning, I wasn't swerving or driving erratically, and even in his mimicry he mimed drinking from a mug, not a bottle. Then I remembered driving in Germany with a relative who was concerned about anything that took your hand off the wheel, and I wondered if it could be something like that, some sort of cultural difference that annoyed this guy so much. I also found out that New Jersey is considering banning drinking or eating while driving.

What do you think? Is it never OK to drink and drive, if it's just coffee or soda?

1 minute ago, Achilles said:

I totally understand that guy, I would of parked the car right in front of you and force you to stop and then do big farts in your car then drive off.

You understand irrationality, I can see that, but what is the objection? Why is it worse to drink coffee while driving than it is to tailgate someone to express your objection to drinking coffee while driving? 

I am just kidding. No I think you are in the right, my dad always drink coffee and drive and never have accident, as long as you good driver and no accident then it is good.

edit: and also that no law is broken. You break no law so it is fine I think.

Edited by Achilles

12 minutes ago, fiveworlds said:

I don't think it is that bad. You shouldn't be falling asleep at the wheel and drinking coffee etc can keep you awake. I'd prefer drivers drinking an occasional coffee than falling asleep at the wheel.

I hadn't considered that as support for the practice, but it's a great point. It also doesn't have to take much attention away from the road. Switching radio stations takes more focus away, imo.

6 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

You understand irrationality, I can see that, but what is the objection? Why is it worse to drink coffee while driving than it is to tailgate someone to express your objection to drinking coffee while driving? 

C'est la vie (shit happens). :)  In the UK, you''d  get nabbed by a copper but seeing as it passes in your country that bloke can take a hike... When in Rome...

Edited by StringJunky

Just now, StringJunky said:

C'est la vie (shit happens). :)  In the UK you''d  get nabbed by a copper but seeing as it passes in your country that bloke can take a hike... When in Rome...

It's illegal in the UK? Is it frowned upon in other European countries (as I said, I'm pretty sure Germany won't allow it)? 

Just now, Phi for All said:

It's illegal in the UK? Is it frowned upon in other European countries (as I said, I'm pretty sure Germany won't allow it)? 

You can't do anything that is considered distracting. You can't even hold a phone. If you have an accident it is reason for cause.

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

C'est la vie (shit happens). :)  In the UK, you''d  get nabbed by a copper but seeing as it passes in your country that bloke can take a hike... When in Rome...

I think unless you pose a risk (i.e. driving erratically) taking a sip from from a mug or similar would not be punished anywhere in the EU, including Germany (though correct me if I am wrong). If you try to pull out a charcuterie board, it may be different, though.

Edit: crossposted, yes, if you get into an accident and they find out that you were having a coffee/snack , it can count against you. If you drive normally but sip on a cup they won't pull you over like they would if you were texting.

Edited by CharonY

6 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I think unless you pose a risk (i.e. driving erratically) taking a sip from from a mug or similar would not be punished anywhere in the EU, including Germany (though correct me if I am wrong). If you try to pull out a charcuterie board, it may be different, though.

Eating while driving is not in itself a crime, but if a motorist is distracted by eating they could be prosecuted under an alternative charge. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3406669/Driver-pay-145-eating-banana-wheel.html

He got a call saying he’s gotta stay overtime, he just remembered that he gorgot about his anniversary or a thousand other reasons amongst which is that he just might have been a genuine asshole. Just the other day my friend got into a road rage fist fight with somebody...my friend was on a scooter, a guy cut him off a few time to a point in which they both stopped and started throing punches. My friend is a boxer, somebody called the police, they came and told them to knock it off. My friend payed an amount for kicking and bending the other guys car, the cops toldem to shake hands and be on their way. So they did and went each his way (the guy with a bloody nose) 

Maybe I should chalk it up to hypocrisy instead of irrational behavior. "I'm going to drive a car length behind you to let you know you're doing something I consider dangerous!"

5 minutes ago, Sensei said:

That reminded me how formula 1 drivers handle it.. They have pipe in helmet and button on steering wheel to release fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d6nu0ofQaA

Google for "f1 drinking system" or so.

I'm waiting for the US car makers to start putting Kuerig machines in the cars where the glove box is now (because who wears gloves to drink coffee?).

20 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

There was a recent case of a woman who was arrested for taking a bite out of an apple while stopped at a red light. So, although people do it, it is frowned upon.

3 minutes ago, koti said:

He got a call saying he’s gotta stay overtime, he just remembered that he gorgot about his anniversary or a thousand other reasons amongst which is that he just might have been a genuine asshole. Just the other day my friend got into a road rage fist fight with somebody...my friend was on a scooter, a guy cut him off a few time to a point in which they both stopped and started throing punches. My friend is a boxer, somebody called the police, they came and told them to knock it off. My friend payed an amount for kicking and bending the other guys car, the cops toldem to shake hands and be on their way. So they did and went each his way (the guy with a bloody nose) 

You know, it's funny, but if the guy would have flipped me off, or yelled something unintelligible, it wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much. Assholes abound, and you have to learn to live with them, or work your way around them somehow. But when people do inexplicably stupid, irrational things, that's when I think, "Ah, this is what 'seeing red' means! This is the pre-postal phase!" 

21 minutes ago, Strange said:

There was a recent case of a woman who was arrested for taking a bite out of an apple while stopped at a red light. So, although people do it, it is frowned upon.

I think it is dependent on whether you are holding something for an extended time like during eating, vs. picking up a mug, sip and put it back. If the latter was forbidden, half the folks in Arizona or similar dry areas would die of dehydration during their commute.

If you really only have one hand free for the drive I think it could be considered distracted driving. 

Edited by CharonY

1 minute ago, Strange said:

You know, I see the point of staying focused when you're operating a heavy machine at speed, I really do. Distractions can compound the danger in a situation where something else goes wrong with your drive. Hot coffee can be quite the distraction if it leaves the confines of its mug, and  I'll risk a bit of a swerve if it looks like I can save a rabbit from going under my wheels. There are many reasons not to allow it.

Being stopped at a light, though, that's not driving to me, not until the light changes again. I've seen people change drivers at a red light, and I've seen people change clothes at a red light (take off a coat or sweater). It's the only time to take both hands from the wheel. I don't care if you want to take that time to dash off a text, or go over the speech you have to give, or put your makeup on. The only special thing required of you when you're stopped at the light is that you don't linger when the light changes. Stay on top of that and you can have your apple, AFAIC.

13 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Being stopped at a light, though, that's not driving to me, not until the light changes again.

I think the legal definition of "being in charge of a motor vehicle" in the UK is that the key is in the ignition (even if the engine isn't running).

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

You know, it's funny, but if the guy would have flipped me off, or yelled something unintelligible, it wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much. Assholes abound, and you have to learn to live with them, or work your way around them somehow. But when people do inexplicably stupid, irrational things, that's when I think, "Ah, this is what 'seeing red' means! This is the pre-postal phase!" 

I’ve always been very observant of people’s behaviours to a point that I’ve been told I’m over sensitive. I’ve also been told that I’m good at pointing out things accurately and objectively. Having said that, this right here is a situational thing which depended solely on emotion and it actually would be a good intro for a movie - you two on the road by yourselves, you holding a red coffee cup cruising 40mph listening to Eurythmics and the evil up town psycho looking for action behind you. What he was after is a mystery - it could have beenn the reasons I listed in my previous post or it could have been something else. Something very much different.

You’re a perceptive guy Phi, you see where this is going. Lets just leave it with the notion that you’re one lucky guy to part with this guy on the road. Or are you? 

:P 

Seriously though, its the internet and specifically social media. Hes probably been reading and watching how distraction behind the wheel is a death sentence and he wanted to play a hero with you. A lot of people instead of having coffee in the morning they like to pretend they save the world just a little bit. Hell, I do it myself sometimes (in different ways than this though) 

Edited by koti

50 minutes ago, koti said:

Hes probably been reading and watching how distraction behind the wheel is a death sentence and he wanted to play a hero with you.

Oh, that way madness lies! This is what I'm most afraid of, that he felt it was justified to risk both our lives trying to tell me how dangerous I am. 

If I was doing 90 in the 40 zone, would he hero up next to me and motion me to slow down?!

53 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

If I was doing 90 in the 40 zone, would he hero up next to me and motion me to slow down?!

You folks have it different than we have it here, we get flashed and honked on the freeway while doing 130mph to give way. 

It sounds like Phi encountered what we in the UK call a nutter. 

Personally, I would avoid all eye contact, or just give him a smile and thumbs up. American nutters carry guns. It's in the constitution. Every nutter has the right to bear arms.

I think it has a lot to do with the times we live in.  People don't mildly disagree any more.  Just like in politics-- there is no middle ground.  So instead of someone wondering whether it it OK for you to drink coffee while driving (which I also do regularly) they go overboard and become incensed over a trifle.