Kits for gene storage at home?

Futuregenetics

21 hours ago, CharonY said:

What do you mean? DNA storage? Depends on application. You can freeze dry or speedvac them for long-term storage or just use appropriate buffers and keep them at -80 pretty much for years.

Yes, DNA storage if that is possible. Only have a normal freezer so one can guess that -80 degrees is not possible. 

2 hours ago, Futuregenetics said:

What if one wants to store DNA for 100 years, what should be the freezing temperature then? 

Have a great weekend by the way. :)

Liquid helium will certainly do it, liquid nitrogen probably would.

The interesting question is how to make a fridge that keeps running for 100 years.

On 18.8.2018 at 1:57 PM, John Cuthber said:

Liquid helium will certainly do it, liquid nitrogen probably would.

The interesting question is how to make a fridge that keeps running for 100 years.

Ok, what if one wants to store DNA at home for 50 years instead. What should be the freezing temperature then? Also, where can one order kits (or other stuff) to do this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2018 at 11:52 AM, Futuregenetics said:

Ok, what if one wants to store DNA at home for 50 years instead. What should be the freezing temperature then? Also, where can one order kits (or other stuff) to do this?

The issue here is keeping low temps for a long time. There are no kits for that. Unless you mean equipment. In that case we are talking about a manual defrost freezer at minimum. Probably several as most regular freezers probably have a lifetime <50 years.

On 28.8.2018 at 9:51 PM, CharonY said:

The issue here is keeping low temps for a long time. There are no kits for that. Unless you mean equipment. In that case we are talking about a manual defrost freezer at minimum. Probably several as most regular freezers probably have a lifetime <50 years.

Thank you for your answer, and I am sorry about my late reply. I have been quite busy the last days. 

Where can I read more about DNA at home storage? I tried to google it and 

I found some information here: https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_best_way_to_store_DNA

However, I am looking for more information. 

On 1.9.2018 at 12:47 PM, Futuregenetics said:

Thank you for your answer, and I am sorry about my late reply. I have been quite busy the last days. 

Where can I read more about DNA at home storage? I tried to google it and 

I found some information here: https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_best_way_to_store_DNA

However, I am looking for more information. 

Do you guys have som input here?:) Have a great weekend.