Hijack from Formula and Collision on Incline help

Brett Nortj

On 13/08/2018 at 10:29 PM, Edemardil said:

Hi. So I have a rube goldberg I made in Algodoo and I have to finish a qualitative and quantitative description of it. I am getting an A in this class and I don't know why but there are two parts that I am having trouble with in my machine. If anyone can help.

#1. The first is the collision on the top of the incline. I have to provide the equations and calculate the transfer of energy and momentum from the ball at the bottom of the ramp to the ball at the top. A ball drops into a hole, rolls horizontally for a few meters then rolls up an incline where it interacts with another ball at the top being held there by a lever. The ball going up the ramp pushed the smaller ball through the lever where it drops onto a ramp continuing the system.

How would I calculate the momentum transferred between the ball that rolls up the incline ramp and the ball resting at the top? I know that the momentum is decreasing up the incline as well as the acceleration and velocity. But does the angle of the incline come into play?

So far I've done: 
V'1 = (m1 – m2)/(m1 + m2)(v1) 

V'1 = (42.4kg - 12kg)/(42.4kg + 12kg)(4.30m/s) 

V'1 = 2.40 

V'2 = 2m1 / (m1 + m2) (v1) 

V'2 = 2(42.4kg) / (42.4kg + 12kg) (4.30) 

V'2 = 6.70 

But that's only really the velocity before and after the collision and it's probably wrong because I didn't know how to implement the incline when calculating those either.

For energy transfer, I am going to use:

0.5m1v1and for after the collision 0.5(m1+m2)v22 

#2. This ball then drops down to interact with two vertical "levers" with axles in the middle of them. I'll post photos. I am really having trouble describing them more or less because I don't know what a good description of the objects them selves are. Are they levers? Latches? Hinges? Pendulums? This is keeping me from really describing them quantitatively because I am having trouble finding the right formulas for transferring energy, velocity, force all that, through that part.

Could someone help me or vaguely lead me to a direction to look for both items? 

It is the yellow vertical poles that I am talking about. I have to provide equations about the change in type and amount of energy, and calculate the energy, velocity and force for the system. Which I guess ends with the last lever hitting the ball and the ball falling off the other side onto a "see-saw" but I'm thinking that maybe my system is too big or complicated and I should just do the part where the ball falls from the platform and lands on the see saw. But I will still need to describe the previous system of the small ball interacting with these two yellow levers or whatever.

Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/WZ04zCR

[#1] I think your velocity equation is easy to understand, but, you need only subtract the mass from the velocity, okay?

[#2] For the levers, you need only use a 'tap rotation idea,' okay? Have them spin down like that, looks better too,. Naturally, it will lift up again through pressure applied from the bottom, where a spring can push it back up, and, then repeat process?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.