synthesis of barium oxalate

kleberrios

Answer yourself questions:

- is oxalic acid stronger or weaker than e.g. acetic acid and/or carbonic acid.. ?

- what happens if you will use stronger acid with salt of weaker acid?

- what happens if you will use weaker acid with salt of stronger acid?

On 15.08.2018 at 4:42 AM, kleberrios said:

I had to know whether I can produce sodium oxalate by reacting oxalic acid with barium carbonate,

Did you really mean this... ?

You cannot make sodium oxalate by reacting barium carbonate with oxalic acid. How you want convert barium to sodium? Some fission process?

If it is a mistyping.then its possible to use barium carbonate for it. The reason is the carbondioxide will evaporate.

BaCO3 + HOOCCOOH  => BaC2O+ H2O + CO2

On 23/08/2018 at 5:37 PM, chenbeier said:

You cannot make sodium oxalate by reacting barium carbonate with oxalic acid. How you want convert barium to sodium? Some fission process?

If it is a mistyping.then its possible to use barium carbonate for it. The reason is the carbondioxide will evaporate.

BaCO3 + HOOCCOOH  => BaC2O+ H2O + CO2

Sorry sorry you are right!   I made a mistake rsrs. I meant barium oxalate and not Sodium Oxalate ... correcting the question:   I can produce Barium Oxalate by reacting oxalic acid with barium carbonate, and strontium oxalate by reacting oxalic acid with strontium carbonate?thanks

On 21/08/2018 at 9:10 AM, Sensei said:

- is oxalic acid stronger or weaker than e.g. acetic acid and/or carbonic acid.. ?

On 21/08/2018 at 9:10 AM, Sensei said:

Sorry, Only a mistyping, I meant barium oxalate and not sodium ...correcting the question:   Can I  produce barium oxalate by reacting oxalic acid with barium carbonate, and strontium oxalate by reacting oxalic acid with strontium carbonate?thanks

You can, but there's a potential problem which has been overlooked so far. The particles of barium carbonate will get coated with barium oxalate and the stuff trapped in the middle might never react.

If you dissolve the barium carbonate in, for example, acetic acid then add a solution of an oxalate (for example sodium oxalate) you will get a better product.

You can make the sodium oxalate by reaction of oxalic acid with sodium carbonate or bicarbonate.

If you want to avoid having sodium in the product you may want to use ammonium oxalate as the reactant.

SImilarly, if you have a furnace you can heat the barium carbonate until it decomposes to give the oxide. Then you can add water which will convert it to barium hydroxide which is slightly soluble (3 or 4% at room temperature) . then react that solution with oxalic acid solution.

Edited by John Cuthber