The average height of American?

ps2huang

I am having trouble to understand the chart: why there are 4 red lines crossing it horizontally?

By the way, did you notice that men's height in the age of 20 and 25 is quite a little different/ That means we still grow in early 20s.

I think each line represents a certain percentile (look at the 50 percentile to find average). I think growth occurs only rarely in ones 20's and the height difference is probably just due to the average height of people that age being a little taller. I haven't really studied the graph so I am just assuming these things but they make sense.

I think each line represents a certain percentile (look at the 50 percentile to find average). I think growth occurs only rarely in ones 20's and the height difference is probably just due to the average height of people that age being a little taller. I haven't really studied the graph so I am just assuming these things but they make sense.

So you mean men rarely grow some heights during 20s? But it is possible, is it?

I recall reading a while back that studies have shown that men continue to grow and mature into their early 20s, usually ending around 22 or 23.

Oh really? Then I guess there must be some height difference for college folks.

Americans are getting bigger and bigger, and I don't just mean weight. I've seen 14 yr. old kids who are as tall as I am (5'7"). While the average height might be 5'8" or so right now, I suspect that number will spike as today's kids finish growing. It amazes me when I see some teenage boy with peach puzz on his upper lip (not even shaving yet) who's wearing a size 13 shoe!! One wonders what happened to make them grow so large. The simple explanation is that better health care when they were babies prevented any growth-inhibiting illnesses, but who knows...

Americans are getting bigger and bigger, and I don't just mean weight. I've seen 14 yr. old kids who are as tall as I am (5'7"). While the average height might be 5'8" or so right now, I suspect that number will spike as today's kids finish growing. It amazes me when I see some teenage boy with peach puzz on his upper lip (not even shaving yet) who's wearing a size 13 shoe!! One wonders what happened to make them grow so large. The simple explanation is that better health care when they were babies prevented any growth-inhibiting illnesses, but who knows...

Or because they were eating some foods that are hormone-genetic reformed.

I was 5' 9" when I was 14. I am 16 now, 6' 2", and where size 12 shoes. I have to shave every day or so. In fact, I really need shave right now. I am kinda scruffy.

*shaves*

EDIT: I noticed some of yall were talking about nutrients and stuff. I eat very healthily for an american. I drink milk by the gallon, I stay away from candy mostly because I don't like sweets. I love greens, bread, meats, etc...

My mom is addicted to Dr. Pepper (literally). She says she only drank one can a day though when she was pregnant with me. I don't drink alot of sodas, though I think that is because my mom is lying to me about how much DP she drank when I was in her...

Americans are getting bigger and bigger, and I don't just mean weight. I've seen 14 yr. old kids who are as tall as I am (5'7"). While the average height might be 5'8" or so right now, I suspect that number will spike as today's kids finish growing.

Actually, average height of an American is not increasing. It's decreasing.

There are a few studys on it, here's the first one I found: -

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/science/article.jsp?content=20050404_103140_103140