Portable Treadmill design.

prashantakerkar

5 hours ago, prashantakerkar said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadmill

Is it possible to design & manufacture portable Treadmill operated by batteries?

Is it possible to design and manufacture a remote control device for the Treadmill product?

Thanks & Regards,

Prashant S Akerkar

What do you mean portable? Like portable enough to carry it with you so you can „Run Anywhere you Go” ?

This would make some sense if financial awards were given for dumbest design/idea. 

Ofcourse its possible, you would need to spend a fortune on batteries though, they would weigh a lot and you would need to recharge them often. The remote control would be easy to design/manufacture. 

Edited by koti

Thank you.

Portable means lightweight, can be carried in Car or other LMW vehicles.

The portable Treadmill product components can be disassembled and easily transported instead of transporting in Heavy vehicles such as Trucks, Tempos, Lorries etc

Can the treadmill powered by batteries instead of AC mains?

Can we design and manufacture a remote control device for the Treadmill product?

Thanks & Regards,

Prashant S Akerkar

Treadmill.jpeg

Edited by prashantakerkar
Content

Na!  Put wheels on the bottom of it so as you run you can power the wheels from the treadmill to rotate and propel you forwards. That way you can take it outside and do your treadmill workout as you take a ride around the park. Put some tracks on it for cross country terrain. Wonderful idea.  You'd need to rig those handles to give it steering capability and you away.  

52 minutes ago, prashantakerkar said:

How much power does it need?

6 hours ago, prashantakerkar said:

Is it possible to design & manufacture portable Treadmill operated by batteries?

Is it possible to design and manufacture a remote control device for the Treadmill product?

Of course.

It is possible to design and manufacture pretty much anything. (As long as it doesn't break the laws of physics.)

The important question is: Is it worth designing and manufacturing it.

• How large is your customer base?
  • How much are they willing to pay?
  • What are the manufacturing costs?

Until you can answer questions like this, the question is pretty pointless. (Most of your questions seem pretty pointless, though.)

1 hour ago, prashantakerkar said:

Self charging from the treadmill?

1 hour ago, prashantakerkar said:

Can we design and manufacture a remote control device for the Treadmill product?

Surely that would be pointless? You are on it the whole time so why would you need to remotely control it?

I like my idea of making mobile with tracks though - it isn't as stupid as it sounds  -  like a bicycle but with running power rather than cycling power  -  you could gear it up for higher speeds that couldn't be reached by running alone.

42 minutes ago, Strange said:

How much power does it need?

A random professional treadmil shows a 6hp engine.

23 minutes ago, DrP said:

Self charging from the treadmill?

Thats not how simulation of moving ground on a treadmill works, you always have to add energy to the system to make a treadmill function. The amounts of energy that could be harvested from the runners feet would be miniscule and nowhere near sufficient.   

Edited by koti

22 minutes ago, koti said:

Thats not how simulation of moving ground on a treadmill works, you always have to add energy to the system to make a treadmill function. The amounts of energy that could be harvested from the runners feet would be miniscule and nowhere near sufficient.   

Surely not - you'd only need to power the electronic display. The battery for that can charge from an alternator on the mill. You don't need any power for the resistance of the treadmill, you can make it harder through gearing and elevation.

1 minute ago, DrP said:

Surely not - you'd only need to power the electronic display. The battery for that can charge from an alternator on the mill. You don't need any power for the resistance of the treadmill, you can make it harder through gearing and elevation.

I don't think that a "passive" treadmill like that would be of decent quality. Treadmills have quite powerful motors, the one I'm looking at on Amazon has 6 horse power. 

14 minutes ago, koti said:

I don't think that a "passive" treadmill like that would be of decent quality.  

They were all the rage in the 1970s / early 80s!...  and yes, they were shit. :D

34 minutes ago, DrP said:

They were all the rage in the 1970s / early 80s!...  and yes, they were shit. :D

I guess you could make one like that into a portable device. Carry it in a backpack with you with the belt folded and voilà, you’re all set to run anywhere you go :P 

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

Enough portable treadmill.. ? ;)

Its got an electric motor though. Without it you wouldn’t be able to generate the torque to move the bike up the slightest hill just by moving the belt with your feet. So its an electrical scooter with a treadmill. It probably lets you burn whole 17 calories per hour of usage :P 

45 minutes ago, koti said:

Its got an electric motor though. Without it you wouldn’t be able to generate the torque to move the bike up the slightest hill just by moving the belt with your feet. So its an electrical scooter with a treadmill. It probably lets you burn whole 17 calories per hour of usage :P 

Indeed, the most efficient design is shoes. :rolleyes:

Since feet aren't actually designed...

Edited by dimreepr

52 minutes ago, koti said:

you wouldn’t be able to generate the torque to move the bike up the slightest hill just by moving the belt with your feet.

With the right gear ratio you could do it - same as a bicycle.   Especially if it had 4 wheels - so you could stay on it at slow speeds without it toppling over. :) 

When I used to cycle everywhere my bike was only ever in 2 gears - top gear EVERYWHERE, then bottom gear for steep hills when I could no longer pedal in a high gear.

1 hour ago, DrP said:

With the right gear ratio you could do it - same as a bicycle.   Especially if it had 4 wheels - so you could stay on it at slow speeds without it toppling over. :) 

I am willing to bet you a beer DrP that you’re mistaken :D

The gearshift on a bike with pedals gives you way more torque than flapping your feet on a belt and it still is demanding to go up hill on a bike even in high gears. I would presume that in order to set the gear ratio on a „treadmill bike” to be capable of delivering enough torque to the wheels to go up any hill (2 or 4 wheels  doesnt matter) you would need to run Husain Bolt’s speeds.

Edited by koti

16 hours ago, koti said:

I am willing to bet you a beer DrP that you’re mistaken :D

The gearshift on a bike with pedals gives you way more torque than flapping your feet on a belt and it still is demanding to go up hill on a bike even in high gears. I would presume that in order to set the gear ratio on a „treadmill bike” to be capable of delivering enough torque to the wheels to go up any hill (2 or 4 wheels  doesnt matter) you would need to run Husain Bolt’s speeds.

Your on!

I reckon it would be a slow accent for sure - but in a low enough gear it would be easy  -  just time consuming. I would argue that it could be EASIER than the bike because on the bike there is a minimum speed required for you to stay on the bike and balance...  there will be no minimum speed on the treadmill - you could be sprinting on the mill and the whole device could be crawling up the hill at 2 mph. You can't get the gears that low on a bike because you'd fall off of it at such low speeds.

Admittedly - I think you would look pretty rubbish going up hill at 2 mph whilst running hard on the mill....  you might as well just sprint up the hill....  but maybe you can't run on the pavement due to shin splints or bad knees or something so have to use the treadmill but still want to go outside for your run..  who knows why someone might use it.

1 hour ago, DrP said:

Your on!

I reckon it would be a slow accent for sure - but in a low enough gear it would be easy  -  just time consuming. I would argue that it could be EASIER than the bike because on the bike there is a minimum speed required for you to stay on the bike and balance...  there will be no minimum speed on the treadmill - you could be sprinting on the mill and the whole device could be crawling up the hill at 2 mph. You can't get the gears that low on a bike because you'd fall off of it at such low speeds.

Admittedly - I think you would look pretty rubbish going up hill at 2 mph whilst running hard on the mill....  you might as well just sprint up the hill....  but maybe you can't run on the pavement due to shin splints or bad knees or something so have to use the treadmill but still want to go outside for your run..  who knows why someone might use it.

Looks like we’re in agreement here. I just pictured this contraption going up a hill with a runner all dressed up running like a hamster while the contraption is barely moving up. It’s definitely doable but is highly questionable as to the sense of it :D

13 minutes ago, DrP said:

Quite so! - lol.   - so who's buying the beers?

We didn’t agree on the steepness of the hill so I do not consider myself a looser here. Looks like we’re splitting the bill unless John Cutber will provide his homemade wine :P