How does the body know what to sense?

edenlog

Sense perception, weather it is smelling,hearing, tasting, etc, how does the body know what to sense?  For example, hot and cold, how does the body know what is hot and what is cold?  How does it know the difference bewteen hot and cold in order to activate those specific sensory receptors for hot and receptors for cold? 

Another example is how does the tongue sense hot of a chemical instead of sensing cold? What mechanism separates the sensation from hot and cold so the tongue knows that chilli peppers are hot and not cold? Is there some type of information present in chemicals that tells the tongue it is either hot or cold? 

I hope my question is clear, I am trying to understand how the body knows when to sense a specific sensation as opposed to another sensation. How can it tell the difference bewteen something hot and cold? (for example).

We all know sensation occurs via sensory neurons, but how does sensation sense one sense instead of another like hot and cold?I 

I think there must be some sort of information or mechanism in sensed things that allow the body to read it and sense that instead of another sense , what is this information or ability?

Thanks 

6 hours ago, edenlog said:

how does the body know what is hot and what is cold?

You learn it- typically from your family.

6 hours ago, edenlog said:

what mechanism separates the sensation from hot and cold so the tongue knows that chilli peppers are hot and not cold?

There are chemicals in peppers that stimulate the same nerve cells that are stimulated by (excessive) heat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

Other chemicals can trigger the nerves that normally sense cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol#Biological_properties

It's not the sensors or the body that knows if something is hot or cold. It's the brain. The sensors are activated, and the brain simply get's the message "sensor activated", and it simply collates all the information, from all of the different sensors, and matches it to memories that have built up as we are growing and learning from childhood.

I can remember years ago being at an ice-cream van, and a couple had a young baby, and they said "this is her first taste of ice-cream". They gave it to the baby to lick, and the little girl screwed up her face and said "hot !!!"   Then, seconds later, she obviously decided she really liked it, and was kicking her legs and struggling to try to get another lick. It was funny at the time.

• 1 year later...
On 8/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, mistermack said:

It's not the sensors or the body that knows if something is hot or cold. It's the brain. The sensors are activated, and the brain simply get's the message "sensor activated", and it simply collates all the information, from all of the different sensors, and matches it to memories that have built up as we are growing and learning from childhood.

I can remember years ago being at an ice-cream van, and a couple had a young baby, and they said "this is her first taste of ice-cream". They gave it to the baby to lick, and the little girl screwed up her face and said "hot !!!"   Then, seconds later, she obviously decided she really liked it, and was kicking her legs and struggling to try to get another lick. It was funny at the time.

I am with mistermack on this one.

• 9 months later...
On 8/10/2018 at 9:20 PM, edenlog said:
Sense perception, weather it is smelling,hearing, tasting, etc, how does the body know what to sense? 

Thanks 

first, the perception and consciousness are different presumably. (But I am not sure really)

hearing,smellinga and tasting are all different ...but as far as I know hearing is being occured almost wholly different. because in normal action (except cardiac system (check please the  relevant context ** funny current)) Na-K is working but again as far as I know ,this happens in hearing system conversely to whole of body (except cardiac system**funny current)

For example, hot and cold, how does the body know what is hot and what is cold?  How does it know the difference bewteen hot and cold in order to activate those specific sensory receptors for hot and receptors for cold? 

there are spcific receptors for each

Another example is how does the tongue sense hot of a chemical instead of sensing cold? What mechanism separates the sensation from hot and cold so the tongue knows that chilli peppers are hot and not cold? Is there some type of information present in chemicals that tells the tongue it is either hot or cold? 
I hope my question is clear, I am trying to understand how the body knows when to sense a specific sensation as opposed to another sensation. How can it tell the difference bewteen something hot and cold? (for example).
 We all know sensation occurs via sensory neurons, but how does sensation sense one sense instead of another like hot and cold?I 

as it expressed, there are specific receptors for each and according to their some properties they are being stimulated and then ...

I think there must be some sort of information or mechanism in sensed things that allow the body to read it and sense that instead of another sense , what is this information or ability?

Thanks 

once again I would remind that consciousness and perception are different,being stimuled is way different.

any else question?

if yes,do not hesitate please to ask.