Camphor

prashantakerkar

Instead of changing the wax chemically - can't you dope it with salts? e.g. strontium salts for a red flame, copper for green and so on?

I've not done it - but I think maybe the wick could be impregnated with salts to achieve the flame rather than the wax. I'm sure there is stuff on the net about it... I'll type 'coloured flame candle wick' into google for you to see what comes up:-

Yea - there you go - 'dip your wick'! 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=pQ9sW86gI9LVwALBh62gBg&q=coloured+flame+candle+wicks&oq=coloured+candle+flames&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0j0i22i30k1l4.1191.7056.0.10274.22.22.0.0.0.0.88.1356.22.22.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.22.1354...0i131k1j0i10k1.0.gT0A3SY-Ggs

"Soaking the wick will produce a colored flame, much as if you burned paper or wood that has been soaked with metal salts"

Edited by DrP

Thank you.

What will be the chemical reaction/s to get different colour flames in Camphor manufacturing process ?

C10H16O + ?  = ? To get red flame

C10H16O + ? = ? To get blue flame

C10H16O + ? = ? To get green flame

and so on ....

Can there be market for Camphor products available in market for consumers with different flame colours?

Thanks & Regards,

Prashant S Akerkar

Edited by prashantakerkar
Content.

2 hours ago, prashantakerkar said:

What will be the chemical reaction/s to get different colour flames in Camphor manufacturing process ?

This is answered in your other, nearly identical, thread.

2 hours ago, prashantakerkar said:

Can there be market for Camphor products available in market for consumers with different flame colours?

Why would you burn camphor? Why would you want a different flame colour?

The only reference to burning camphor on the Wikipedia page is for Hindu religious ceremonies. So (judging by your name) you might be better able to answer that than anyone else here.

Thank you.

Coming back to the original question, Is it possible to have different flame colours other than light yellow by burning camphor?

Camphor is burnt for performing aartis or poojas or prayers to Hindu dieties.

It will not be considered unauspicious if a different flame Colour (light yellow) is generated (if possible) in Hindu religious ceremonies like performing aartis.

Thanks & Regards,

Prashant S Akerkar

Edited by prashantakerkar
Content

23 minutes ago, prashantakerkar said:

Is it possible to have different flame colours other than light yellow by burning camphor?

Impregnate it with metal ion salts maybe?  Put some in and try it out - but I reckon the wick might need dipping as well.

Even then it won't be perfect.

Edited by DrP

Camphor burns with a sooty flame and the hot soot emits a yellowish white light. That will almost certainly "wash out" any colour from adding metal salts. I suspect it will work badly, or not at all.

Any God who was impressed by a different coloured flame  wouldn't seem to me to be worth worshipping.