Debunk Theory Of Dreams Coming From Parallel Universes

idream

Some people misuse the fact that dreams are not completely understood as a method to say that dreams may come from parallel universes. I am trying to win an argument with my friend concerning this topic and I need evidence that contradicts this statement.

Though, the burden of proof argument comes into play, please don't comment that as it has already been stated. Surely there must be some logical rule that prevents dreams from occurring in parallel universes if you have an inkling please comment as it will be greatly appreciated.

It isn't just about the burden of proof  -  there is absolutely no evidence for this, so why would anyone believe it?   I'd approach the discussion with ridicule -- there's as much proof for the argument as there is that says that you dream everytime a unicorn farts within 3 miles of you. State that it is just as feasible and laugh it off - you don't have to win the argument if the other person is so deluded that they think they are in touch with parallel universes in their dreams. Tell them how ridiculous it is and let them continue in their fantasy world if they refuse to think like an adult.

Occam's Razor fits this situation. Dreams coming from parallel universes is a far more complicated explanation than ones based on the natural mechanisms we observe.

I would also remind your friend that, just because dreams aren't fully understood, that doesn't mean we don't know a great deal about them. 

A basic science rule of thumb is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Does your friend have anything outside the anecdotal that would support his claims?

Guys telling my friend he's crazy is not exactly the best way to end an argument even if it is the case. 

There has to be a logical rule that prevents this from happening.

Could I use the argument that external stimuli influences dreams. Also would a valid argument be that we need sensory organs to gather information from the parallel universe, but our body stays in bed? Can someone expound upon one of these, there has to be something that contradicts this ridiculous notion. 

53 minutes ago, idream said:

Guys telling my friend he's crazy is not exactly the best way to end an argument even if it is the case. 

It's certainly a great thing that nobody here suggested you do that, isn't it? Or is that really what you got out of the two replies? Suggesting that an idea is ridiculous doesn't mean a person is crazy.

55 minutes ago, idream said:

There has to be a logical rule that prevents this from happening.

I even linked you to it.

56 minutes ago, idream said:

Could I use the argument that external stimuli influences dreams.

Wouldn't some mechanism from a parallel universe qualify for that?

59 minutes ago, idream said:

Also would a valid argument be that we need sensory organs to gather information from the parallel universe, but our body stays in bed?

The brain would only need some kind of context. Assuming a parallel universe had some kind of recognizable context (a barking dog, e.g.), and if your dreams could be influenced in the first place, it would still affect you despite lacking senses from that universe. Does that make sense? 

The argument to use is from this French study. They used people with a neuropsychological disorder in addition to a normal control group in order to show how dreams are a function of the brainstem.

https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/136/10/3076/329883

Taken together, this collection of dream and sleep characteristics in a limited sample of patients with a rare, but fascinating neuropsychological syndrome, supports the hypothesis that dream sensations are generated by bottom-up brainstem stimulation to the sensory cortex, whereas the full dreaming process (scenario and complexity) requires higher-order cortical areas. This study also newly highlights the role of the pallidum and striatum in spindling activity during non-REM sleep.

Now your friend has to support the idea that these parallel universes can act on brainstems in this universe. And if they can do that while your sleeping, there's no reason why they couldn't affect the brainstem while awake. We're much more active about observing people while awake, so your friend has a lot of explaining to do as to why we don't see this effect.

6 hours ago, Phi for All said:

The brain would only need some kind of context. Assuming a parallel universe had some kind of recognizable context (a barking dog, e.g.), and if your dreams could be influenced in the first place, it would still affect you despite lacking senses from that universe. Does that make sense? 

The argument to use is from this French study. They used people with a neuropsychological disorder in addition to a normal control group in order to show how dreams are a function of the brainstem.

https://academic.oup.com/brain/article/136/10/3076/329883

Now your friend has to support the idea that these parallel universes can act on brainstems in this universe. And if they can do that while your sleeping, there's no reason why they couldn't affect the brainstem while awake. We're much more active about observing people while awake, so your friend has a lot of explaining to do as to why we don't see this effect.

In response to your argument regarding sensory organs: No that doesn't make sense, my argument against parallel universes is that to experience something in a parallel universe while sleeping we would need some type of sensory organ to relay that information back to our brain. Such a thing does not exist. Would this mean dreams have to be internally generated?

In response to your brain stem argument: This argument sounds promising, how would we see the affect if parallel universes acted on our brain stems if it is even possible?

Edited by idream

6 hours ago, idream said:

, how would we see the affect if parallel universes acted on our brain stems if it is even possible?

How would you detect/see the effect of the micro uni-germs that act on the stem cells of the brain and influence dreams from the trumps of the creature I mentioned before? Why, if these trumps have such a powerful psychological effect on the brain during sleep and dream time, do they not effect people that are awake?