Relationship between dietary fat and losing of body fat

tim.tdj

Hi Everyone

I have just watched one of Dr Berg's Youtube videos entitled "Weight Loss Is Not Natural For Your Body". In the video, he says that if you are trying to lose body fat and you don't eat any fat at all, your body will react to the scarcity of dietary fat by clinging on to your own fat stores, thus preventing you from losing body fat. He also seems to imply that not eating any fat will cause you body to burn your protein stores instead, thereby causing muscle loss. He therefore says that you must eat some fat. However he does not say how much.

Is Dr Berg correct about all of this? If yes, then how much is the minimum amount of fat (in grams or calories whichever is appropriate) that you need to eat per day in order to make sure that your body does not think that there is a scarcity of dietary fat?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Tim

In the U.S. the govt puts out recommendations.  https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/executive-summary/

I think a simply google search would answer your question for the most part. Are you looking for something more, are you trying to lose weight and having a tough go? In my experience no diet is one size fits all. Everyone has a different lifestyle and people can react differently to different diets based on the natural amounts of estrogen, testosterone, growth hormone, insulin, and etc in their bodies. What the correct diet for losing weight and being healthy for a 50 year old Scandinavian male might be vs a 20 year Latin female will be different. For myself I focus on the vitamin and sodium content in the food I eat. I find a lot of food is very high in sodium because it is used as a preservative and a lot of food also is very low in vitamins as a result of mass farming.  

If you were to consume substantial protein and were in a caloric deficit then your body would have no choice but to retain the muscle mass and lose the fat. So perhaps he's right but it'll depend on whether he'd recommend more carbs or proteins.

It is true though not exactly for why he says.

Fat is required by the body for vitamin and mineral absorption, is needed to build muscle and should be approx. 20% of your daily calories. To lose weight you need to both keep your calories in check and gain muscle. To gain muscle you should be looking at following a weightlifting routine/cardio. Muscle will allow you to burn more calories throughout the day and keep the weight off the wrong advice of simply not eating/dieting will just cause you to lose muscle and to put all the weight back on when you start eating again and if you are getting older can lead to excess skin. You should aim to lose about a lb a week. If you don't lose a lb you are either eating to much or not working out hard enough.

Stretching (Start of every day) - > Prevents injury and keeps flexibility

Calf Stretch

Quad Stretch

Hamstring Stretch

Groin Stretch

It band Stretch

Lower back Stretch

Front Stretch

Back shoulder Stretch

Tricep Stretch

Neck Stretch

Impact (Start of every day) - > Helps bones absorb calcium prevents arthritis

100 - skipping

100 - heavy bag (punching/kicking)

100 -  speed bag (punching/kicking)

10 mins - trampoline

Cardio - Treadmill (End of every day) - > Helps bones absorb calcium prevents arthritis of the legs and builds leg muscles / speed

3-4 intervals of sprinting at the fastest speed you can for 3 minutes

15 mins of fast walking at the highest incline you can manage 

30 mins of jogging at least 7km or higher if you are able 

Weights - Should be on rotation if you work your chest one day then do your legs the next and at the highest weight you can manage without losing form

Monday - chest

3 sets of 10 dips/weighted dips

3 sets of 10  bench press

3 sets of 10  seated military press

3 sets of 10  chest press

3 sets of 10 pressups

3 sets of 10 pec deck

Tuesday - arms

3 sets of 10 lying cable curl

3 sets of 10 bench dips

3 sets of 10 barbell curls

3 sets of 10  bicep curls

3 sets of 10  tricep curls

Wednesday - legs

3 sets of 10 Squats

3 sets of 10 leg curls

3 sets of 10 lunges

3 sets of 10 leg extension

3 sets of 10 standing calf raises

Thursday - shoulders

3 sets of 10 lat pulldowns

3 sets of 10 Standing barbell press

3 sets of 10 side lateral raise

3 sets of 10 upright barbell row

Friday - back

3 sets of 10 deadlifts

3 sets of 10 pullups/assisted pullups

3 sets of 10 single-arm dumbbell row

3 sets of 10 close-grip pull down

3 sets of 10 decline bench dumbbell over

• 3 weeks later...

Dieting is losing body mass or weight.  Proteins, carbohydrates and lipids or fats.  The point is to lose weight.  The best way is to severely limit your reduced calorie intake to very little or no fat.  You body will think about it for a couple of days while it burns stored energy then it will switch to fat burning.  A complicated natural process.  Originally it was a survival benefit to get through lean hungry winters until spring.

Fat people have a survival advantage.  Yes your body will try to hang onto the fat but if there is not enough going in then something has to give and the body will give up fat going out.  Fewer calories.  You will lose fat.  You will lose weight.  Be sure to have enough protein and carbohydrates on board.  Not too much protein.  Only some is needed.  Only some carbohydrates.  I am dieting hard right now.  One pound a week.