Brett Nortj

Moral absolutes.

Recommended Posts

It is said they do not exist, previously people have tried to find the links between people that they are all based on the same stuff mentally, and, found that there is no definite answer to the questions of all being the same sort of creature. I found this strange so decided to try to find some for myself.

Three things I found between all people is that they think they are 'right,' they think they are 'loved,' and they think they are 'better than others.' These three moral absolutes led me to define more specifically the human psyche, and then found more absolutes, under those, of course.

I have also found the root of love, hate and all emotions - "strength." We are drawn to strength, reject the strength of those that infer a lessening of our own strengths and also like to see our strength reflected. These are the core of attraction, hatred and mercy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brett Nortj said:

Three things I found between all people is that they think they are 'right,' they think they are 'loved,' and they think they are 'better than others.' These three moral absolutes led me to define more specifically the human psyche, and then found more absolutes, under those, of course.

 

It would be interesting to know who these ‘all people’ are. I personally have found people who a) think they are right and b) think they are better than others to be, thankfully, more of a minority than majority.  Where have your observations/studies come from?

1 hour ago, Brett Nortj said:

I have also found the root of love, hate and all emotions - "strength." We are drawn to strength, reject the strength of those that infer a lessening of our own strengths and also like to see our strength reflected. These are the core of attraction, hatred and mercy.

 

This (surprisingly), does make a little bit of sense.
Edited by nevim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nevim said:

It would be interesting to know who these ‘all people’ are. I personally have found people who 1) think they are right and 3) think they are better than others to be, thankfully, more of a minority than majority.  Where have your observations/studies come from?

This (surprisingly), does make a little bit of sense.

It is obvious. It is logical. It is as if it were observed every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, widen your horizons and the people you mix with then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nevim said:

Ok, widen your horizons and the people you mix with then.

Thanks for not arguing with me, but, don't you find this typical of most people? I mean, hell, the whole human drive can be put to those foundations through social psychology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brett Nortj said:

Thanks for not arguing with me, but, don't you find this typical of most people? I mean, hell, the whole human drive can be put to those foundations through social psychology.

I don’t find it typical, thankfully, and I’ve lived in a lot of different places. It is annoying to meet those kind of people, but I don’t think they are the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moral absolutes are founded on the idea that there will be some mental approach that all people share, something they all hold dear. I have illustrated that there are indeed some, so, let's get some more? This would be where we could say that all people also have the same biology, so only acquired tastes in some food would deviate from finding the same food tasty, of course.

With that theory, we could also say that everybody likes the same things, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Brett Nortj said:

Moral absolutes are founded on the idea that there will be some mental approach that all people share, something they all hold dear. I have illustrated that there are indeed some, so, let's get some more?

I disagree with the ones you have, and I don't think morals are absolute, not in any way.

To prove my point, I don't always think I'm right. There are times when I know I'm wrong. No absolutes.

I don't think I'm better than anybody else. "Better" is so subjective. I think people are a collection of experiences, and everyone has something to teach me.

I do think I'm loved, just not by everyone. What's the matter, do you think nobody loves you? Why would you think nobody loves anyone else?

So NO, you haven't illustrated that there are moral absolutes. You've illustrated that you think you can force your definitions on ALL people, and I've illustrated that you can't. 

On 8/4/2018 at 2:18 AM, Brett Nortj said:

I have also found the root of love, hate and all emotions - "strength." We are drawn to strength, reject the strength of those that infer a lessening of our own strengths and also like to see our strength reflected. These are the core of attraction, hatred and mercy.

As you define "strength". I'm already unimpressed with how you defined "love", so I think I'll reject these "roots" as well. They're all subjective, and you're fooling yourself if you think these are universal and absolute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I disagree with the ones you have, and I don't think morals are absolute, not in any way.

To prove my point, I don't always think I'm right. There are times when I know I'm wrong. No absolutes.

I don't think I'm better than anybody else. "Better" is so subjective. I think people are a collection of experiences, and everyone has something to teach me.

I do think I'm loved, just not by everyone. What's the matter, do you think nobody loves you? Why would you think nobody loves anyone else?

So NO, you haven't illustrated that there are moral absolutes. You've illustrated that you think you can force your definitions on ALL people, and I've illustrated that you can't. 

As you define "strength". I'm already unimpressed with how you defined "love", so I think I'll reject these "roots" as well. They're all subjective, and you're fooling yourself if you think these are universal and absolute.

Okay,

Do you think anybody will ever think they are wrong, seriously? Not in terms of the things they say, looking back, they adjust themselves and continue as being right, yes? Same with the rest, nobody can think these things as they will absolutely lose motivation to live.

Strength is a source of incentive, to seek it, to feel it and to admire it in someone's idea of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brett Nortj said:

Do you think anybody will ever think they are wrong, seriously? Not in terms of the things they say, looking back, they adjust themselves and continue as being right, yes?

Of course. I wasted four years on a business that was wrong. I knew it, but I thought I could make it work. I eventually admitted I made a mistake and moved on to something else. 

I've been wrong about plenty, but I've been right often enough to experience life well.

5 minutes ago, Brett Nortj said:

Same with the rest, nobody can think these things as they will absolutely lose motivation to live.

Why would I lose the motivation to live just because I found out I was wrong about something? Being wrong is not being a bad person. Being wrong isn't evil. I don't understand why not being right about something is a reason not to live. Are YOU that concerned with being right? Because I have to tell you, you post a lot of misinformed, wrong stuff. I don't know where you picked up most of it, but it's wrong. That doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you wrong. Fix it and you'll be right, right?

10 minutes ago, Brett Nortj said:

Strength is a source of incentive, to seek it, to feel it and to admire it in someone's idea of you.

Strength like physical might? Endurance strength? Strength of character? Tensile strength? Agile strength? Explosive strength? 

You talk about absolutes, but you talk about them subjectively. You're going to fail with this approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Of course. I wasted four years on a business that was wrong. I knew it, but I thought I could make it work. I eventually admitted I made a mistake and moved on to something else. 

I've been wrong about plenty, but I've been right often enough to experience life well.

Why would I lose the motivation to live just because I found out I was wrong about something? Being wrong is not being a bad person. Being wrong isn't evil. I don't understand why not being right about something is a reason not to live. Are YOU that concerned with being right? Because I have to tell you, you post a lot of misinformed, wrong stuff. I don't know where you picked up most of it, but it's wrong. That doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you wrong. Fix it and you'll be right, right?

Strength like physical might? Endurance strength? Strength of character? Tensile strength? Agile strength? Explosive strength? 

You talk about absolutes, but you talk about them subjectively. You're going to fail with this approach. 

Isn't it stunningly obvious? Hell, if common sense itself was in question... Obviously people think they are right, better and loved. Ask anyone? It is only through civility that we get along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Brett Nortj said:

Hell, if common sense itself was in question... 

It is. Your perspective on common sense is different than mine, or anyone else's. Common sense is anything but.

9 minutes ago, Brett Nortj said:

Obviously people think they are right, better and loved. Ask anyone? It is only through civility that we get along.

Yet I gave you examples showing this is far from obvious. It sounds like you're preaching instead of having a discussion. One thing is clear, YOU want to be right about this. Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 4:18 AM, Brett Nortj said:

It is said they do not exist, previously people have tried to find the links between people that they are all based on the same stuff mentally, and, found that there is no definite answer to the questions of all being the same sort of creature. I found this strange so decided to try to find some for myself.

Three things I found between all people is that they think they are 'right,' they think they are 'loved,' and they think they are 'better than others.' These three moral absolutes led me to define more specifically the human psyche, and then found more absolutes, under those, of course.

I have also found the root of love, hate and all emotions - "strength." We are drawn to strength, reject the strength of those that infer a lessening of our own strengths and also like to see our strength reflected. These are the core of attraction, hatred and mercy.

Morals are always subjective even the ones you list are obviously subjective and i have a problem with even defining them as morals to start with... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Morals are always subjective even the ones you list are obviously subjective and i have a problem with even defining them as morals to start with... 

Are you sure you are right about that? If you are, then I am right, of course, as that is the foundation of my opening post, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.