Something else burns out phosphorous

fieldunificationman

We know that exposure to light and heat burns out the luminescent property of phosphorous, but I found something else. It wasn't so much an experiment as a discovery. 

I used to paint with phosphorous a lot, phosphorous mixed with acrylic medium mostly. Stars, cities, things like that. For one painting I taped a magnet to the back of the canvas and threw at speed a mix of phosphorous, steel shavings and acrylic medium at the canvas, at the magnet. When it dried, which was just minutes, the phosphorous surrounding the magnet was completely burned out. It never glowed again. I had not seen phosphorous burn out like that before. It wasn't heat or light.

themill-eastsun.jpg

Edited by fieldunificationman

6 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

This thread  is almost certainly not about phosphorus.

Fieldunificationman,

Please post a link or something to what you buy and refer to as phosphorus.

Thanks.

Yes perhaps he means sparkly material added to the paint?

No sparkly materials. In this application it was a (white) glow powder purchased from Glow Inc, a commercial glow materials seller, mixed with steel shavings and an acrylic base, thrown at speed toward the magnet taped to the back side of the canvas.

http://glow.glowinc.com/

They have some technical information available at http://glow.glowinc.com/technical-articles/