Can you believe in evolution and in god?

Itoero

18 minutes ago, Itoero said:

People that believe in the Christian god and Jesus+miracles are defined as Christian. All Christians believe in miracles concerning God/Jesus which go in against bio evolution.

Give me a break. I was a Christian for a long time. There was no part of Evolution I refused to accept simply because of my faith. I suspect that in the entire world you will have a difficult time finding two Christians who are in complete agreement in their faith.

Edited by zapatos

2 hours ago, zapatos said:

Give me a break. I was a Christian for a long time. There was no part of Evolution I refused to accept simply because of my faith. I suspect that in the entire world you will have a difficult time finding two Christians who are in complete agreement in their faith.

Last I looked into this, there were slightly over 9000 sects of Christianity, and I think the definition of sect was 100,000+ members. The beliefs between them span quite a huge range, and not all even believe in the divinity of Jesus. To some, the story loses all meaning if Jesus is a divine immortal. 

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

Last I looked into this, there were slightly over 9000 sects of Christianity, and I think the definition of sect was 100,000+ members. The beliefs between them span quite a huge range, and not all even believe in the divinity of Jesus. To some, the story loses all meaning if Jesus is a divine immortal. 

I've never talked to a christian that felt that way but I've talked to quite a few that think that the validity of science in general and evolution in particular is meaningless where their beliefs are concerned. I am in the middle of a huge family fight over this stuff, I've been told the only prerequisite for going to heaven is that you believe Jesus is your lord and savior. What science says about reality is simply not important enough to even consider. 

To me this is weird, intellectual dishonesty of epic proportions at the very least. 

I thought being an atheist would at least keep me out of it but all it does is make me a lightning rod...  

On 11/23/2018 at 12:05 PM, Itoero said:

People that believe in the Christian god and Jesus+miracles are defined as Christian. All Christians believe in miracles concerning God/Jesus which go in against bio evolution.

Muslims believe in God, Allah is the Arabic name for God among Arabic Muslims and Arabic Christians.  Muslims believe in Jesus but not as the Son of God, as they believe Allah God cannot have a son.  They believe Jesus is the greatest prophet, greater than Mohammed, because Jesus did miracles whereas Mohammed was a mere Messenger, Muslims believe Jesus is the greatest prophet, greater than Mohammed, and is also the Messiah who will return and destroy the present anti-Christ world empire, but will then teach the earth's population the truth.  Question any practicing Muslim about those things.  

On 11/23/2018 at 5:01 PM, Moontanman said:

I've never talked to a christian that felt that way but I've talked to quite a few that think that the validity of science in general and evolution in particular is meaningless where their beliefs are concerned. I am in the middle of a huge family fight over this stuff, I've been told the only prerequisite for going to heaven is that you believe Jesus is your lord and savior. What science says about reality is simply not important enough to even consider. 

To me this is weird, intellectual dishonesty of epic proportions at the very least. 

I thought being an atheist would at least keep me out of it but all it does is make me a lightning rod...  

Science is absolutely 100% NOT important in the least to faith in Christ and belief in the Word of God.   Science is important to me because I love the goals of true science, to seek and find.  I find true science totally supports the bible, and the bible totally supports true science. I find it impossible to fill my hours simply with prayer, reading scripture, volunteering, and other aspects of Christianity and faith in God, so I put in time with science.  Are you a lightning rod in your family because of your atheism of your verbosity against the idea of God?  Of all the people on this forum, Moon, you seem to be the most verbose regarding God, and I don't use the word 'verbose' in a negative way.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, zapatos said:

Were you a Christian, or a member of a mere member of a denomination through birth or social preference?  Had you had the Personal revelation that the bible is true, or did you even have a bible in the pew?  

1 hour ago, coffeesippin said:

Were you a Christian, or a member of a mere member of a denomination through birth or social preference?  Had you had the Personal revelation that the bible is true, or did you even have a bible in the pew?  

Are you an expert on Christianity or merely a pompous ass? Are you suggesting that some people who are baptized and believe in Christ are Christians, but others who are baptized and believe in Christ are NOT Christians? Are you familiar with the fallacy No True Scotsman?

Just now, zapatos said:

Are you an expert on Christianity or merely a pompous ass? Are you suggesting that some people who are baptized and believe in Christ are Christians, but others who are baptized and believe in Christ are NOT Christians? Are you familiar with the fallacy No True Scotsman?

I'm an expert on Christianity.  If I say any more even if I say E=MC2 I'll be accused of preaching, and whether it's true of not I was just suspended for three days because of it.  So I'll send you a private message.  

1 minute ago, coffeesippin said:

I'm an expert on Christianity.

I advise you  more closely study James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5, and Luke 14:11. To really drive home my point, please enjoy some time with Proverbs 11:2  

Even better, Proverbs 27:2

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

I advise you  more closely study James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5, and Luke 14:11. To really drive home my point, please enjoy some time with Proverbs 11:2  

Even better, Proverbs 27:2

If I had written that exact same thing I'd have been suspended or banned.  I suspect you're a mod sock puppet.  I'll send you a private message too, so I can't be banned for preaching. 

10 minutes ago, coffeesippin said:

If I say any more even if I say E=MC2 I'll be accused of preaching...

What does Jesus think about you lying? Are you trying to paint yourself as persecuted to garner sympathy? Playing the martyr will get you nowhere. You are barking up the wrong tree on this site pal.

22 minutes ago, beecee said:

I believe its time someone took an Aspirin and had a good lie down before he/she blows a  valve!!! :P

You believe?  What's a statement of faith doing in a science forum!!!   And if you're referring to a mod/admin you may be correct, but know well and truly, BeeCee, that I'm a man, and one like you will not meet often at all.  Feel yourself fortunate to have met me.  Consider well EVERYTHING I have said to you.  I'll probably be banned permanently very soon.  Remember I cared and told the truth.

8 hours ago, coffeesippin said:

If I had written that exact same thing I'd have been suspended or banned.  I suspect you're a mod sock puppet.  I'll send you a private message too, so I can't be banned for preaching. 

!

Moderator Note

Just for everyone's edification, the other means of communication here on SFN (PMs, status updates) are subject to the rules. Pestering someone with PMs is not permitted, and people have been suspended for abusing the PM system.