Why are we here?

ali1382

Human is curious, you can also say why scientists are doing all of these, and they're doing it mostly because they want to now the world, to answer the questions, and they are doing it cause they are curious about it.

21 minutes ago, ali1382 said:

There is a question that bother's me a lot, and that why are here? But I think there is no answer for it... But what do you think?

When you ask a question like that, you necessarily imply the presence of a higher consciousness/being that is able to make choices about our existence. If you don't think this then, I think, you are master of your own destiny and personal meaning, within the constraints of your circumstances.

"We" are here to give meaning and perspective to individual accomplishments, the evolution of which pushes us towards more meaning as a species. "We" don't know why "we" are here because "we" are still me and you and them. "We" are getting better, though.

I'm with the philosopher Ray Brassier on this: " "Philosophy", exhorts Brassier, "would do well to desist from issuing any further injunctions about the need to re-establish the meaningfulness of existence, the purposefulness of life, or mend the shattered concord between man and nature. It should strive to be more than a sop to the pathetic twinge of human self-esteem. Nihilism is not an existential quandary but a speculative opportunity."

9 hours ago, ali1382 said:

There is a question that bother's me a lot, and that why are here? But I think there is no answer for it... But what do you think?

I prefer  

We are here.

What do we do with it?

What meaning will we give it?

Edited by naitche

On 7/28/2018 at 11:38 AM, ali1382 said:

The competing answers I am most familiar with are god, simulation theory, panspermia, and chemical reaction. With god and simulation theory there is some being(s) in the Universe who created our world and to some degree is observing and or interacting with us. However  the origin and reason for them remain unknown. Panspermia states that life of Earth was seeded by extraterrestrial micro organisms that travel to Earth via meteoroids, asteroids, comets, and etc. The origin of the microbes isn't addressed. If we are here as the result of a chemical reaction which occurred without conscious influencing than why (purpose) falls away to how (means). 

Is "why are we here" really the question that bothers you and not "why am I here"?

• 1 month later...

I personally believe we are purely here for progression. Not the progression of a race or species but the progression of us, as one. Every life we live is one that brings us closer to becoming an end goal such as a divine. We learn with every life we live and slowly become better. Throughout our daily lives we live as individuals but we are all one. Hitler and those he slaughtered, Jesus and all his disciples, Gandhi and all that he inspired. I believe we die to come back and live another experience. This is also why newer generations tend to be more open minded and fluent with themselves. We slowly grow until we have lived every possible outcome in the future and the past. Eventually we will be able to remember every life we've lived and realize all we have done, together, apart, and alone all to form one with pure knowledge in the end.

Edited by Novalocity

24 minutes ago, Novalocity said:

I personally believe he are purely here for progression. Not the progression of a race or species but the progression of us, as one. Every life we live is one that brings us closer to becoming an end goal such as a divine. We learn with every life we live and slowly become better. Throughout our daily lives we live as individuals but we are all one. Hitler and those he slaughtered, Jesus and all his disciples, Gandhi and all that he inspired. I believe we die to come back and live another experience. This is also why newer generations tend to be more open minded and fluent with themselves. We slowly grow until we have lived every possible outcome in the future and the past. Eventually we will be able to remember every life we've lived and realize all we have done, together, apart, and alone all to form one with pure knowledge in the end.

When I was young I wished I had the abilities of Bruce Lee (I didn't want to put in the hours of work and suffering needed to achieve that ability), not because I wanted to "kick arse" I just wanted to feel safe; pure knowledge, as you describe, seems like a similar dream (which BTW also takes dedication). My point is, I didn't need superpowers to be safe (I'm still alive) and you don't need pure knowledge to be content with life.

Edited by dimreepr

5 hours ago, Novalocity said:

Every life we live is one that brings us closer to becoming an end goal such as a divine. We learn with every life we live and slowly become better.

I don't mind this so much as long as one doesn't give up on this life, thinking they'll do a little better in the next one. I believe you only get the one life, and you have to stand up and live it. I think getting better should be less of a gradual thing, and more of a constant struggle against whatever stands in the way of making your own choices and living the life you want.

10 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I don't mind this so much as long as one doesn't give up on this life, thinking they'll do a little better in the next one. I believe you only get the one life, and you have to stand up and live it. I think getting better should be less of a gradual thing, and more of a constant struggle against whatever stands in the way of making your own choices and living the life you want.

If one believes in a next life then one may treat this world like a toilet... which many do.

11 minutes ago, MigL said:

I don't wax as eloquently as some of the other posters.
I firmly believe we are here to annoy others with silly questions.

Are we there yet? 

What's the difference between a duck?

If you eat yourself, will you become twice as big, or disappear completely?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 10:38 AM, ali1382 said:

My personal belief is that we are here to do the one thing that is difficult for God to do.  That is to grow a soul, whatever a soul truly is.

Here is my reasoning.  According to Genesis, God made everything in five days, with the exception of Mankind.  I don't believe that those are literally five rotations of the Earth, but five of God's "work days".  On the sixth day, He only did one thing; make Man in His image.  That does not mean two arms, two legs, one head, etc.  It means He made us like Him; spiritually.  In essence, he gave the animal man a soul.  That transformed man into Man.  Then He rested.  That implies that giving Man a soul was as hard as making the rest of the universe.  Why did He do this?  He, like the rest of us, wanted to grow.  In order to grow, He needed to add to His current soul.  

Through the trials and tribulations of living, our soul grows.  As we fight and remain strong and faithful, regardless of how harsh our life becomes, our soul grows.  As we help our fellow man overcome their problems, even as our own problems pull us down, our soul grows.  That is why God isn't Santa Claus; giving us anything we want, or even need.  You don't grow without some sort of adversity.  If you can get through life without becoming bitter and resentful, they your soul is good and strong.  When you die, the only thing left of YOU is your soul and that soul will join with God and make Him a little greater than He was.  You have fulfilled your purpose.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

"Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations".

"Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof. Avoid quiet and placid people, unless you are in need of sleep. Rotate your tires. Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself, and heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys. Know what to kiss, and when. Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do. Whenever possible, put people on hold. Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment, and despite the changing fortunes of time, there is always a big future in computer maintenance.

Remember the Pueblo. Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mutilate. Know yourself; if you need help, call the FBI. Exercise caution in your daily affairs, especially with those persons closest to you—that lemon on your left, for instance. Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet. Fall not in love therefore; it will stick to your face. Gracefully surrender the things of youth—birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan—and let not the sands of time get in your lunch. Hire people with hooks. For a good time, call 606-4311… ask for Candy. Take heart amid the deepening gloom that your dog is finally getting enough cheese; and reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot, it could only be worse in Milwaukee.

You are a fluke of the universe; you have no right to be here, and whether you can hear it or not, the Universe is laughing behind your back. Therefore, make peace with your God, whatever you may perceive Him to be: hairy thunderer, or cosmic muffin. With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal, the world continues to deteriorate.

Give up."

• 4 weeks later...