genetic mutation?

flyboy

no not the zombie part, the big red monster thing that escapes from its chamber

they took like a human test subject i think and injected it with the t-virus which caused rapid mutation, i just wanted to kno if that was possible

Oh jesus another confused sci-fi kiddie.

We have already isolated a large variety of genes that are Tumour Suppressors, such as the large variety of TNF's. One of the reasons that cancer arises is due to a rapid mutation, there is suspectibility that it is very closely linked to a failure of DNA repair mechanisms. There have been studies which knockout mice that lack the genes responsible for genetic repair already, where then mices are subjected to high levels of ultraviolet radiation, carcinogens, etc. etc.

But as to exactly how to mutate it into this big red monster thing is a different story. As mutation is completely random and it would be hard to disturb the homeoboxes without resulting in aborted fetuses.

I like your way of thinking.

I think that it would be possible for a virus to carry mutated DNA throughout the body. If it is possible to get sick from viruses, in theory it should be possible to make enhancements.

It would pbly not be used to create big red scary monsters. Think about a virus that produces insulin for people that cant produce it themselves.

My mom has Multiple Sclerosis, so her immune system is not very... friendly. Perhaps we could make a 'good' virus to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah but flyboy you have to remember that it would take hundreds if not thousands of genes altered to make your scary red monster, whereas a virus can only alter one at a time (correct me if i'm wrong, i very well could be). A far more practical and feasible use would be gene therapy as joerdz said. that is, creating a specific virus to alter a specific gene for a specific disorder or disease. Of course, any small failure in the creation of such a virus could have devastating effects. Genetics is a scary thing for us to mess around with as we have little knowledge of the long term effects.

• 4 weeks later...

instead of makeing a virus that produced the insulin for them, couldn't they make one that corrected the body so it will start making its own?

because viruses are parasites, they use our cells to reproduce, unless you made one that grew like bacteria,(spliting into two offspring) that would be safer i think.

well, viruses do replicate. some kinds (lytic viruses) take over the dna of a cell and use it to make more and more viruses until the cell actually rips open and flings the new viruses into the environment. lysogenic viruses take control of the dna but remain "dormant" for a while, until the appropriate time.

It's already been done' date=' except not to make people into evil zombies.

There are viruses that can attack cells and activate/deactivate genes. Scientists hope to use these to solve genetic diseases.[/quote']

Do you mean gene therapy? Because gene therapy doesn't use virues to actually turn on/off the gene. The virus is simply a transporter to invade the cell and deliever the gene to the body. There isn't actually a naturally occuring virus that solves genetic problems, that would be far too kind of Mother Nature.

Do you mean gene therapy? Because gene therapy doesn't use virues to actually turn on/off the gene. The virus is simply a transporter to invade the cell and deliever the gene to the body. There isn't actually a naturally occuring virus that solves genetic problems, that would be far too kind of Mother Nature.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry.