Does the scientific community treat materialism/physicalism as absolute truth?

Mallic

1 hour ago, Mallic said:

I personally can't imagine just fading into the void, that mindset is reserved for depressed people who think the world is absolutely garbage and just want the sweet release of death but are too afraid to end it themselves.

I do not consider myself as depressed, I definitely do not see the world as garbage (it seems you did not read my posting at all: do you think that after I talked about this miracle world, the thankfulness of being there, that I think the world is garbage and that I am depressed?). It seems to me that you, by your own experience, get depressed with the idea that death is the end of it, and that you conclude that therefore people who think that death is the definite end, must be depressed. Obviously, you get angry when you discover here that this shouldn't be the case at all.

1 hour ago, Mallic said:

You word it real nicely, but at the end of the day, all you're really doing is preaching a mindset of looking out for yourself and effectively closing yourself off to the problems of others.

One of the essences of Buddhism is to help others in their suffering, to relinquish it. But if people want to stick to their unhappiness, we let them be. It seems to me that you cannot cope with your fear of death, or even stronger, you seem even to cultivate this fear. Please don't, it will not make your life better. Acceptance of the facts of life is an absolute precondition of reaching equanimity. I am sorry for the hell you went through when your brother's life was threatened.

1 hour ago, Mallic said:

The Fact is you are trying to profess your beliefs as fact, and that makes you just as bad as you claim I am.

I did not do that: I just warned you that you should not build your life on 'metaphysical comfort'. And I did not claim you are bad. At most I am claiming that you are full of prejudices about science, about the relation between (scientific) truth and the meaning of your life, and about people with an atheistic and/or scientific worldview. You really should be more open minded, instead of just sticking to your prejudices. Ignorance is one of the causes of suffering...

Hoping you will get on terms with life as it is,

Eise

3 hours ago, Mallic said:

It truly is a shame, I came here hoping to disprove the misconceptions I have regarding the mindsets of you types, yet all that has happened is that you solidified them. 

See Confirmation Bias

3 hours ago, Mallic said:

Have them close this thread and ban my account. I'm done here.

!

Moderator Note

Thread closed.