Why is there no forum for (insert field here)?

"Forum for pyromaniacs that have just joined SFN to ask how to build a bomb"

that should be at the title

and it should be at the very top of the community page

^_^

To be serious, I think that SFN has pretty much everything that it needs. I think that its by far the best science forum on the internet....

• 1 year later...
thank you
You're welcome, rockhead. :D

The real reason, of course, is that there haven't been enough pure geology threads started in the General Sciences forum to warrant splitting Geology off into it's own sub-forum. Perhaps you can start enough interesting Geology threads to correct that? ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would really like to see a thread specifically pointed towards alternative renewable resources. Development in this field encompasses chemistry, biology, geology and many other subjects.

This is probably the largest problem scientists will be facing in the near future. I also would like to learn more about potential sources of renewable energy.

• 6 months later...
I'd love a combined Anthropology section (physical, cultural, linguistic, paleo, applied, etc)

Yes, I second that motion (if it hasn't been seconded already). I came on this thread to suggest a Linguistics Forum. Besides the fact that it is a science, I've been researching how many things in our cultures, i.e. the English(74) language, has a connect(74) to nature.

Edited by Brad Watson_Miami FL

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'd like to see one for design and creativity where individuals were free to think outside the box without some know it all coming along and calling them an idiot. (albeit politely) Seems there is alot of focus on what we know in the engineering section as opposed to creativity and adaptivity. Engineers are supposed to "make it work" not quote a whole lotta reasons it won't. Sorry I just like science to be fun and ever expanding where has all the experimentation gone? With all the intelligent people here we should be able to build somthing awesome!!!!!! I remember in readers digest a story about a 12 year old kid who took apart smoke detectors and enhanced the radioactive material to weapons grade and essentially built himself a nuclear weapon or generator i forget which. Now come on if a kid can do all that (which alot of our "engineers" would say is impossible) Let's do somthing cool!!!!

NOTE: NOT BUILDING THINGS TO BLOW THINGS UP!!!!!

Law; Criminology/Forensics, Civil to Criminal Law or Trail, Constitutional Law and International Law...

Nothing like a five year old thread to stimulate thought, but have you all ever considered such a sub-forum. It's a good catch all for many topics and a good link to google searches....

I'd like to see one for design and creativity where individuals were free to think outside the box without some know it all coming along and calling them an idiot. (albeit politely) Seems there is alot of focus on what we know in the engineering section as opposed to creativity and adaptivity. Engineers are supposed to "make it work" not quote a whole lotta reasons it won't. Sorry I just like science to be fun and ever expanding where has all the experimentation gone? With all the intelligent people here we should be able to build somthing awesome!!!!!! I remember in readers digest a story about a 12 year old kid who took apart smoke detectors and enhanced the radioactive material to weapons grade and essentially built himself a nuclear weapon or generator i forget which. Now come on if a kid can do all that (which alot of our "engineers" would say is impossible) Let's do somthing cool!!!!

NOTE: NOT BUILDING THINGS TO BLOW THINGS UP!!!!!

First off, to be very blunt, most of "free thinkers" are idiots.

Peer review is an important part of both science and engineering. The kind of criticism that goes on at this site is mild compared to what happens amongst practicing scientists and engineers. The standard mantra for such a review is "check in your ego at the door". That way, when you come out of the room feeling six inches tall, you can check your ego back out. In retrospect, if your idea has any merit, the criticisms will help you make forward progress. It is best however not to go into a peer review with a meritless, "free-thinking" idea.

That 12-year old boy: Here he is in 2007.

david_hahn-mugshot.jpg

His name is David Hahn. His story is a rather sad one.

A 1998 Harper's Magazine story: http://web.archive.org/web/20001215100600/www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m1111/n1782_v297/21281407/print.jhtml

"The Radioactive Boy Scout" from the "Tales of the Nuclear Age" blog: http://talesfromthenuclearage.wordpress.com/2009/12/13/the-radioactive-boy-scout/

• 1 month later...

What about a forum, perhaps designed as a sub-forum of the Lounge, entitled 'Odd Things Members Have Seen'? I am sure we have all had the experience of witnessing something both fascinating and peculiar, and given our common interest in science, we have probably focused on that experience more carefully than most people would. It would be interesting hearing from other members whether they have ever witnessed something comparable to these unsual experiences or if they have an explanation.

First off, to be very blunt, most of "free thinkers" are idiots.

Peer review is an important part of both science and engineering. The kind of criticism that goes on at this site is mild compared to what happens amongst practicing scientists and engineers. The standard mantra for such a review is "check in your ego at the door". That way, when you come out of the room feeling six inches tall, you can check your ego back out. In retrospect, if your idea has any merit, the criticisms will help you make forward progress. It is best however not to go into a peer review with a meritless, "free-thinking" idea.

"free thinking" people are not idiots. but that does not mean there ideas are right.

why can't the people on this forum remember that wrong does not mean stupid.

and that not accepting that they are wrong (for a brief time) and trying to "make it work" may be persistence and not someone trolling. while "science noobs" might be annoying the fact that they are interested is a good thing.

Edited by dragonstar57

• 3 weeks later...

i think there should be a syntax help subject for people that are trying to learn some basic programing to ask what the error is in their syntax

While there is a general syntax that most languages follow, most syntax errors are language-specific. It would be best to ask in the Computer Science forum, rather than create a whole new forum for syntax questions.

Edited by A Tripolation