Why is there no forum for (insert field here)?

The expected arrival of the 300 millionth American (?) this month -- as though it is a celebratory event ignoring the world resource depletion & environmental 'foot print ' it & further growth will make .

The expected arrival of the 300 millionth American (?) this month -- as though it is a celebratory event ignoring the world resource depletion & environmental 'foot print ' it & further growth will make .
Minding the convoluted noun, that sentance had no verb. As a result, no sense was made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As is the case with most of the requests in this thread, we don't get enough posts on those subjects to warrant another sub-forum.

As per usual, if posts on those subjects increase enough, they'll be accommodated in their own corner.

Why don't we have a misc subject area where subjects such as logic, economics, neuroscience, nanotechnology and many of the other areas mentioned could go. This could be done for a trial period and the two or three, that prove to be the most popular can remain in the own subject area.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm disappointed. I still don't see a nutrition or food science forum! I've got lots of questions regarding this topic and would like to be able to procure answers. Nutrition and food science are a part of science and should be included in SFN... but that's just my opinion (sigh...)

I'm disappointed. I still don't see a nutrition or food science forum! I've got lots of questions regarding this topic and would like to be able to procure answers. Nutrition and food science are a part of science and should be included in SFN... but that's just my opinion (sigh...)

As Dak says, post your questions in the most appropriate forum. There is always "General Science" if you can't decide which.

As always, if there is proportional interest in a topic, we'll open a sub-forum. It's just not worth the extra work for a handful of threads!

"If you build it, they will come" would be nice, but we have tried it and it doesn't really work that way :-(

• 3 months later...

Has anyone else suggested having a language topic, at all? Wherein the terminology and usage etc. gets discussed and people contribute their version of it? Could also have a metaphor and analogy subsection, or whatever, to discuss the use (valid or otherwise) of same. Scientists use analogy and metaphor all the time, don't they?

We might (e.g.) explore the metaphor of science as religion. I mean there are parallels. Science has ritual, a following, temples of learning, etc. These (and plenty of others) could be explored from this angle (metaphor et analogy). No? Yes? Or would it mean too many opportunities for, um, non-scientific or illogical argument? Wouldn't want to do that...

or anutha sectin abot moden languag nd it's used. Wot u think? but culd b even herdr 2 work that 1 no woddiym sayn?

• 8 months later...
A Geography/Geology/Geo Sciences Forum would be cool! Also Meteorology.

I honestly always have thought we needed an earth science forum. I'd break "Ecology and Environment" and "Evolution etc" and reshuffle the relevant threads into it, and then combine "Evolution" with "Ecology" and the rest of "Environment" with "Politics." That is if this were my forum. But of course, I don't have a life and could probably sit around and actually go through re-arranging threads. It's kind of hard to change a forum once its settled, isn't it? You'd have to go around sticking threads different places or make archives or some such hassle.

I'm all for an archaeology forum.

I'd be for a social science forum, perhaps with anthropology-sociology and psychology subsections, but I wonder if there would be much traffic. Psychology already has a forum, and I've seen a handful of sociology-themed posts, but I have a feeling people wouldn't realize that they're posting something sociological and just put new threads somewhere else. There have been even fewer cultural anthropology threads, and physical is already covered by "Evolution."

Edited by CDarwin
multiple post merged