Why is there no forum for (insert field here)?

Any chance of a dynamical systems/chaos forum ? Chat about attractors, phase space diagrams and the butterfly effect ? It transgresses many disciplines (physics, maths, biology, atmospheric science etc) but I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one interested in it. Very deep. :)

A typical thread might be' date='

"SMS Van Der Tann": was the 5 degree difference in main battery elevation an asset or liability at Jutland?

aguy2[/quote']

Isn't that history?

How does one apply the scientific method to debating strategy?

Isn't that history?

How does one apply the scientific method to debating strategy?

I am contending that 'military science' is an emergent 'soft science' on a par with the other social sciences, and that 'soft science' oft times uses historical monographs as a starting point for scientific investigations.

aguy2

I think that was his point.*

*Key word - think. I, too, got the page not available message when I clicked it, against my better judgement, even though I was initially suspicious that this is just Sayo's way of saying this isn't softscienceforums.net.

I think that was his point.*

*Key word - think. I' date=' too, got the page not available message when I clicked it, against my better judgement, even though I was initially suspicious that this is just Sayo's way of saying this isn't softscienceforums.net.[/quote']

Thanks for the book site. I haven't read any fiction since soaking up all of O'Brian's books summer before last. I think I'll pick it up next time I'm at Barnes & Noble.

aguy2

WiSci.

It'd increase awareness of it, maybe interest a few SFN members to join it, and would allow us to ask questions etc so that SFN members can contribute to WiSci even if they aren't WiSci members.

Just an idea (not nessesarily a good one)

• 2 weeks later...
These are science forums. Why don't we have a forum on 'military science'?

aguy2

I agree with aguy2. A military science forum may be interesting.

I would make posts about the robotic armies that will go into service in the next 35 years, or basically the technology that is being developed.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps there can be another news forum. Only this time the news will not go to the front page, and will not have to be checked before posted. Also, it should only be science news. The main reason why I think this new news forum will benefit SFN is because there is so much news out there, and not enough of it is posted because it has to fit certain requirements to get to the front page (or a different reason. I don't know why).

Perhaps there can be another news forum. Only this time the news will not go to the front page, and will not have to be checked before posted. Also, it should only be science news. The main reason why I think this new news forum will benefit SFN is because there is so much news out there, and not enough of it is posted because it has to fit certain requirements to get to the front page (or a different reason. I don't know why).
Another reason why we moderate the news posts is so we can check to make sure it's science related.

We're not allowed to run the story without permission. We ARE allowed to link and even excerpt from it if we are discussing it. The News Forum is there to debate about the news, not to view it. There are other outlets for that (that's why we give the links to the stories). The News Forum is not your news source, it's a place to talk about the news that's relevant.

That's why we jump all over people who post links (in all fora) and then just say "Hey, did you see this?" We want your opinions on the stories, not a guide to what's in the news. Whenever you link to another site, you should be commenting on what's said there, not simply calling it out. If you simply think it was a fascinating article, tell us why, give us some direction for discussion.

• 1 month later...