Why is there no forum for (insert field here)?

I agree with nanotechnology completely. The language thing would be quite cool as well.

Personally, the two things that I would most like to see are electronics (I see an awful lot of questions that should be in electricity/electronics go into engineering or computer science) and space technology/aerospace engineering/etc.

This has been mentioned before, but with the debate over climate change raging, I'm really surprised there's not a forum dedicated to Climate/Atmospheric Science.

Maybe I say that because I work for a climate modelling group...

Anyway, I'd really like to talk about:

- What climate forcings are truly anthropogenic in origin?

- Is "global warming" a result of these forcings?

- What climate change metrics should we truly be considering, especially when assessing a "global warming" trend?

The language thread, book thread, and history thread would not be science. I believe that is why they have not been created.

What would be really useful is an Earth Science forum. This doesn't really fit anywhere else. Anyone else think this is a good idea? I have a thread that I want to post that deals with such and I don't know where to put it.

Anyone plan on busting out a new forum anytime in the near future?

I think you could throw together another omnibus forum like all the others for what's been suggested... Meteorology / Climate Science / Earth Science seems like it'd be a good one.

The language thread, book thread, and history thread would not be science[/i']. I believe that is why they have not been created.

At the very least, history definitely falls under the anthropology category, which is (IIRC) considered a science.

• 3 weeks later...

How about a forum where we can post methods for extracting chemicals and elements from everyday things like bleach, paint etc.(mabye a sub forum of chemistry) i'm thinking along the lines of YT's thread about tin.

The reason i think a seperate forum would be better is because some people who visit the chemistry forum don't have that good access to chemicals (under 18/ short on cash) so this could be a way of obtaining them.

• 3 weeks later...

Epidemiology...or does that fall under Ecology, Populations, Habitats, Environment here?

I'd also personally like to see a thread really geared at current research , ie

promising cancer treatments, stem cells, herbal remedies, etc. Even if it was simply a thread with links that people have come across while researching other things.

I spend countless hours researching medical info everyday and any amount of help would be greatly appreciated. :D

• 2 weeks later...
How about a forum where we can post methods for extracting chemicals and elements from everyday things like bleach' date=' paint etc.(mabye a sub forum of chemistry) i'm thinking along the lines of YT's thread about tin.

The reason i think a seperate forum would be better is because some people who visit the chemistry forum don't have that good access to chemicals (under 18/ short on cash) so this could be a way of obtaining them.[/quote']

That sounds like a good one!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Things get sections because they're needed, not based on the field's validity. We're missing lots of sections simply because we have nobody asking questions about that subject and nobody who can answer them.

The best way to get the ball rolling on getting a new subject area is to actively contribute threads and posts in that area in the existing forum structure.

Mokele

• 5 weeks later...
I think an Economics forum may be appropriate in the "Other Sciences" catagory. Does anyone agree/disagree?

How many people actually talk about econmics? There will have to be quite a few for the forums to be added.

I hear its quite a complex area, I'll be avoiding it should it get added!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

How many people actually talk about econmics? There will have to be quite a few for the forums to be added.

I hear its quite a complex area' date=' I'll be avoiding it should it get added!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones[/quote']

Oh forsooth! I'd love to see what new propagation of knowledge could be learned from an economic forum.

There is a sticky in this forum for questions like this.

In case you didn't notice.

Anyways, I don't think economics has all that much discussion going on here, so it really wouldn't be necessary. If you want, start a few discussions, and if people are interested in economics, then it may be done.

There is a sticky in this forum for questions like this.

In case you didn't notice.

Anyways' date=' I don't think economics has all that much discussion going on here, so it really wouldn't be necessary. If you want, start a few discussions, and if people are interested in economics, then it may be done.[/quote']

Oh... um... sticky, what sticky? :P

Okay thanks for the suggestion... If I have another such suggestion, I'll remember where to put it.

I don't know too much about economics outside of what it logical and the little I learned from that economics class that was required for all high school seniors. But, if you start some threads, I'll try to include my .5 cent

I've merged this into the stickied thread as to make space in the forum. As Capn said, if people start talking about it, and moreover it becomes a topic meriting a forum by itself, then we'll create it. Until then there isn't really much point :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I would like a specific topic related to Psychology, social sciences and Cognition. Cognitive Science is science, IMHO, and it is very difficult to find other topics that cover cognition. The only related topic is Neuroscience, but ofcourse cognition entails a lot more than just neuroscience. And I can imagine that not all neuroscientists would love it when their topic would be flooded with cognitive questions

Hi, I would like a specific topic related to Psychology, social sciences and Cognition. Cognitive Science is science, IMHO, and it is very difficult to find other topics that cover cognition. The only related topic is Neuroscience, but ofcourse cognition entails a lot more than just neuroscience. And I can imagine that not all neuroscientists would love it when their topic would be flooded with cognitive questions

Its a good point but how many cognition threads are actually posted? It would have too be quite a few if a new seaction is to be created for them :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

• 1 month later...

I'd really like to see a forum for the history of the universe - from the Big Bang to the formation of the Earth to the first appearance of life through the cambrian explosion and the dinosaurs and finally to humans and our evolution. I'd post plenty of questions in that forum.