Just a thought...

Butch

A single particle has an indeterminate charge as charge can be said to be relative. Two particles with opposite charges but bound in a system consisting of the two has a neutral charge. Three particles, one with an unlike charge bound in a system has a 2/3 charge? I am referring to composite particles.

Comments?

No, charge is absolute. The field lines radiate outwardly from what we call a positive charge and inwardly for what we call a negative one.

Note it is one of the physical properties unaffected by relativistic transforrmations.

I'm pretty sure we have mentioned all this before.

27 minutes ago, studiot said:

No, charge is absolute. The field lines radiate outwardly from what we call a positive charge and inwardly for what we call a negative one.

Note it is one of the physical properties unaffected by relativistic transforrmations.

I'm pretty sure we have mentioned all this before.

I was speaking more in terms of Schrödinger's cat, when I said " indeterminate", it was unnecessary.

More important is the quantity of charge, does this thought relate to quarks in any way? Might it? I saw in recent news the detection of a ghost particle, is this a less massive neutral particle than a neutrino?

But I wasn't speaking of 'indeterminate'.

It was concerning the relative bit.

Our units and plus/minus sign convention is just that a convention.

Somewhere else they will use different 'units' but these will still be the same multiples of their fundamental units of charge as ours, in any given situation.

Edited by studiot

1 hour ago, Butch said:

A single particle has an indeterminate charge as charge can be said to be relative.

The charge of a particle is neither indeterminate nor relative. 

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Three particles, one with an unlike charge bound in a system has a 2/3 charge?

All composite particles have a charge of -1, 0 or +1. 

Only quarks have fractional charge. 

2 hours ago, Strange said:

The charge of a particle is neither indeterminate nor relative. 

All composite particles have a charge of -1, 0 or +1. 

Only quarks have fractional charge. 

Could it be that quarks have internal structure that we are not aware of?

I suppose 2/3 would be incorrect in any case, charge would be 1/3.

That is of course if quarks have internal structure.

Have you seen the news concerning the detection of "ghost" particles?

9 hours ago, Butch said:

Could it be that quarks have internal structure that we are not aware of?

Could it be? Sure. But you'd need experimental evidence that would suggest that there is structure, and we don't have any. And it's not because we haven't looked. 

It's tough to make any kind of model from scratch. No evidence to go by — all you can do is exclude what the model can't have. 

9 hours ago, Strange said:

There are people working on models like this, eg: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundance_Bilson-Thompson

But, as swansont says, there is no evidence for this. 

Thanks for the link. I think they are over complicating by using the standard model as a guidepost, best advice you gave me was that my particle did not necessarily belong in the standard model.

Still having trouble determining a value for x=1, but making progress... Problem is determining mass density as well as the concept of the dimensions of the well being infinite.

In terms of math the slope at x=1 is 1 what is the slope at sea level on earth? It should be very close to 0.

Edited by Butch

11 hours ago, Butch said:

Still having trouble determining a value for x=1, but making progress... Problem is determining mass density as well as the concept of the dimensions of the well being infinite.

In terms of math the slope at x=1 is 1 what is the slope at sea level on earth? It should be very close to 0.

!

Moderator Note

You should only be discussing your "model" in its own thread.