Non verbal communication/technology

Ten oz

Non verbal communication plays a major role in human interaction. Human are able to emote a wide variety of feelings suggestions visually both purposefully and unknowingly. In society as more and more people prefer text based forms of communication over face to face interaction what are the long term implications?. 

I think research is pretty much still ramping up. After all we are roughly at the point where kids growing up with heavy smartphone use are getting into college (which is the common test cohort for these kind of studies). 

On 7/10/2018 at 9:14 AM, Ten oz said:

as more and more people prefer text based forms of communication over face to face interaction what are the long term implications?

More emojis

Non verbal communication/technology

...implants to brain which will take energy from organic compounds, with built-in WiFi/LTE (or their modern equivalent versions), allowing to transfer data to/from brain, to somebody else brain or device wirelessly, at speed of light..

To somebody without ihem, it'll look like telepathy, mind reading or magic..

Edited by Sensei

3 hours ago, iNow said:

More emojis

It is a serious, perhaps not important, question. Humans  evolved communicating face to face. That influences how we understand and empathize with each other. In today's world more and more people learning information, shaping their world view, judging, admiring, and etc almost entirely without face to face interaction. It is different that humans have been doing it thoughtout. Surely that has implications? 

13 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Surely that has implications? 

Of course, and I suspect you’re on to something here with this. 

IMO, the primarily txt driven nature of our social media is partially what seems to be driving our current tribalism and cultural dysfunction (acknowledging the obvious influence of bots, special interests, and even nation states). 

It’s quite hard to hate someone we’ve looked in the eye and broken bread with, but dehumanizing and caricaturing “the other” is remarkably easy when all we have are black and white letters from them read passively on a screen or device. 

10 minutes ago, iNow said:

Of course, and I suspect you’re on to something here with this. 

I have my own thoughts, of course. I would like to see what others think. I don't have a grand design for where I hope this thread goes. 

13 minutes ago, iNow said:

It’s quite hard to hate someone we’ve looked in the eye and broken bread with, but dehumanizing and caricaturing “the other” is remarkably easy when all we have are black and white letters from them read passively on a screen or device. 

I agree with this. It is hard to hate someone to their face. I think that is obvious. The atonomy of the internet has fueled divisiveness. 

What about communication as a skill. As a means to interview for a job, comfort someone, find a mate, or etc. Do you think anything is being lost there? 

4 hours ago, Ten oz said:

What about communication as a skill. As a means to interview for a job, comfort someone, find a mate, or etc. Do you think anything is being lost there? 

Yes and no. Some like myself have become better communicators through the ability to practice expressing my thoughts at sites like this. That has translated into me being far better at work and in life more broadly. 

With finding mates, the online options have been a boon to thousands/millions who otherwise would never have stumbled upon the right watering hole, random stranger at the grocery store, or wherever else... folks who’d have likely been alone and single for their whole life. 

On the interviewing for job front, we do see some lack of social capability, but I feel we make up for that by using AI to better match people to jobs and also how AI is being used to measure facial twitches and nonverbal response in video interviews. It opens a whole new space for recruiters and hiring managers to have MORE information available to them about applicants, not less. 

Comfort is an interesting one as it seems depression is increasing among users of platforms like Instagram because it causes us to console ourselves in our current moments against others in their best moments... the ones they choose to post and publicize. That’s a bad thing, but there’s also good from connecting with others who are “like us” and those social networks can remind us we’re no so alone or isolated in the world.

It’s complex and there’s no one right answer here. It’s good for some, bad for others, and even when viewed at the level of the individual will vary from one situation or circumstance to the next. 

Yes, lots is being lost, but other things are also being gained. C’est la vie. Creative destruction. Cultural evolution. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 

Edited by iNow

@iNow I mostly agree. I  not sure about the finding a mate part. I think that one bleeds over into your point about Instagram and what not. I also think it is a contributing factor to less yound adults wanting to be married or have children. 

It is interesting to me. I have taken lots of leadership and career builder training through work and a constant them is that the words one use it the smallest component to communication. Which is why I suppose emojis and auto reply suggestions in our text software is becoming more popular. It just makes me wonder were it is heading.