Some indirect evidence of a new type of Neutrino with mass as a contender for dark matter (May 2018 Fermilab)

Link to the arxiv work published May 31st:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.12028.pdf

Aparently there is some indirect evidence that a new type of fermion, a „sterile neutrino” with mass might exist and it might be a serious contender for dark matter. I must admit that my hobbyist level physics knowledge was lacking „chirality” up untill now...it seems that on top of spin there is another property of exotic matter which has to do with particle phase when partciles are in motion, it can be clockwise or anti clockwise direction. What bothers me is why haven’t we detected any direct or indirect evidence of a massive particle like this up untill now? @Janus, @swansont, could you shed some easilly digestible light on this discovery and hypothesize if this is actually something big or can we be dealing with a dud here? 

Edited by koti

Well it would be nice to find right hand Neutrinos as the neutrino has mass the chirality would not be the same as helicity as it is for massless particles. Right hand neutrinos is one of the contenders for DM which would definitely help solve that problem. If this borns out to be true then we will also approach a means to help explain leptogenesis.

Edited by Mordred