magnetic fluids

6E30306200

What is the easiest ways of creating some magnetic fluid without ordering lots of expensive chemicals on the Internet? Is it possible to create out of normal things found in the house or almost any store?

I have some iron-powder if that is needed.

Thank you in advance :)

Sorry for my bad English :/

umm do you mean a fluid that is magnetic of a fluid that can be influenced by magnetic fields?

if its a fluid that is itself a magnet then that is imposible about the fluid that is influenced by magnetic fields i know they exist but know nothing about them.

6E30 : If you tell us exactly what you have in mind, we might be able to make an appropriate suggestion. In what way do you want the fluid to respond to an applied field ?

Most charged (electrolytic) fluids show little, if any, response to magnetic fields - primarily because there is no velocity field in a static electrolyte.

Those are merely colloidal dispersions of magnetic metals like Fe/Co. The hard part there is achieving the right particle size distribution - I would imagine you'd need micron-sized or smaller particles. Determining the best dispersive medium may be a little easier.

You could try various media/concentrations to see if you can stabilize your iron powder (I hope it is a fine powder) in them. I would recomment a reasonably viscous medium as a starting point.

"Ferrofluid Neodymium Rare Earth Magnetic Liquid - 8 ounces

What is Ferrofluid? In short, it is a liquid that responds to magnets and magnetic fields. The longer answer is ferrofluid is an extremely fine powder, coated with a soap-like material called a surfactant, suspended in a mineral oil liquid base. The resulting magnetic suspension is called a ferrofluid.

When no magnetic field is present, ferrofluid behaves and flows like a normal liquid. However, when a magnet or magnetic field is introduced, the ferrofluid is attracted to the field. Spikes then form along the magnetic field lines when the magnetic surface force exceeds the stabilizing effects of fluid weight and surface tension.

"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6193681124&category=413&tc=photo

• 4 years later...

O yeah...there is a way!Check this link to youtube :

It is entirely homemade ferrofluid and it's of great quality.spikes are about 1.5cm high.I made this ferrofluid from simple and easy to find materials:

1.feric chloride and few pieces of iron

2.olive oil

3.ammonia

4.kerosene

5.drain pipe cleaner (sodium hydroxide)

6.any acid(i used the toilet cleaner solution-mixture of clorhidric acid and sulphuric acid)

7. alot of care

The result is an excellent ferrofluid.

• 8 months later...