Is there a rational reason for religion?

ALine

4 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

You got that right! Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely! 

I don't want to argue moon, but I have to be true to my belief, power doesn't always corrupt (David Drew, my local politician) but it does attract the corruptible. 

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

I don't want to argue moon, but I have to be true to my belief, power doesn't always corrupt (David Drew, my local politician) but it does attract the corruptible. 

I can genuinely say I hope you are correct but I do agree, power does attract the corruptible much like a moth to a flame... I was a huge John Edwards fan, he was an up and coming politician with all the right moves. seemingly very close to perfection, then he fell so hard I'm surprised he didn't leave a giant crater. Power went to his head... Pissed me off in a very big way, I did my best to help the man get elected then he drops it all... I know off topic.. .

7 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I can genuinely say I hope you are correct but I do agree, power does attract the corruptible much like a moth to a flame... I was a huge John Edwards fan, he was an up and coming politician with all the right moves. seemingly very close to perfection, then he fell so hard I'm surprised he didn't leave a giant crater. Power went to his head... Pissed me off in a very big way, I did my best to help the man get elected then he drops it all... I know off topic..

I'm not sure it is.

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Define prophet, to me all preachers who claim to be relaying the word of god are prophets but you might have a more stringent view... 

Indeed, I mean someone specifically named in a recognised religion, otherwise, we're just talking about leaders (those attracted by power). 

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Indeed, I mean someone specifically named in a recognised religion, otherwise, we're just talking about leaders (those attracted by power). 

Joseph Smith comes to mind..  

Edited by Moontanman

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

LOL, I saw that coming, but how violent are they? Much like Gandi or Mandela.

Not my flavour but nor is religion TBH.

Don't mess with Ghandi!  Not in any Sid Myers games anyway!  lol. :D

I though a prophet was someone who foretold the future by divine revelation.

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Despots always resort to violence despite their rise to power. 

The Mormons did their share of dirty deeds from massacring non Mormons and blaming it on Native Americans to massacring Native Americans and blaming it on non Mormon settlers not to mention kidnapping their children and raising them as mormons... 

Just now, Moontanman said:

The Mormons did their share of dirty deeds from massacring non Mormons and blaming it on Native Americans to massacring Native Americans and blaming it on non Mormon settlers not to mention kidnapping their children and raising them as mormons... 

That I didn't know (got a link?) but fundamentally, my answers the same.

10 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

If you continue to walk down the stairs, you'll reach the bottom; you don't need god to tell you that.

That is prediction not prophesy.  Prediction based on extrapolation of evidence. If I 'predict' the lottery numbers...  that is a guess.  If I watch a black bird come to the garden at the same time each day for 3 weeks I could then 'predict' that he comes tomorrow. If an angel of the Lord appears before me in a dream and say ' go speak my word on the hill that punishment will befall all sinners if they do not repent by tomorrow at 3.35pm"...   and, after preaching the word on the hill the next day at 3.35 pm 48 lightning strikes kill 48 sinners in town that refused to repent then that's prophesy.  :D

19 hours ago, Ten oz said:

I was responding to a notification. Did not see that Moontanman already referenced Smith.

So I'll add David Koresh. 

I don't think a cult really counts as a religion, I'm sorry I was too cryptic in my question, my reference to Scientology was meant to indicate that, my bad doh :doh: 

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

I don't think a cult really counts as a religion, I'm sorry I was too cryptic in my question, my reference to Scientology was meant to indicate that, my bad doh :doh: 

The main difference between a cult and a religion is that in a cult the people who know it's bullshit are still alive..