"Dissolving the Fermi Paradox"

Scotty99

https://www.sciencealert.com/three-of-the-world-s-greatest-minds-just-published-a-disheartening-take-on-the-fermi-paradox

https://arxiv.org/abs/1806.02404

Well well would you look at that, people are starting to come around. For many years i was certain there had to be other life in the universe, but the more i studied our reality the more i realize how special of a circumstance we are likely in. Obviously this isnt some conclusive study but it is very interesting to see papers such as this coming out from the mainstream, i am impressed.

Edited by Scotty99

the team's conclusions do not mean that humanity is alone in the Universe,

But when there are a range of possible outcomes, some people will use that to confirm their beliefs (whatever they are).

32 minutes ago, Strange said:

But when there are a range of possible outcomes, some people will use that to confirm their beliefs (whatever they are).

I dont think thats the takeaway here strange, merely that we are incredibly special. Even if its the observable universe, thats an unfathomable amount of real estate.

37 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

I dont think thats the takeaway here strange, merely that we are incredibly special.

You have just confirmed exactly what I said. 

The study doesn’t say that; what it says (confirms) is that there is a lot we don’t know. But people of faith, like you, will always take “we don’t know” as confirmation of their beliefs. 

(But of course, it is an interesting and useful paper.)

You still confuse me as a religious person, kind of incredible lol. Every ounce of what i feel to be real is based on cosmological/scientific studies, the part where i disagree with people is the intuition part. Relativity denotes a possibility, not a truth.

12 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

You still confuse me as a religious person, kind of incredible lol. Every ounce of what i feel to be real is based on cosmological/scientific studies, the part where i disagree with people is the intuition part. Relativity denotes a possibility, not a truth.

No, relativity denotes an excellent verified observation. Scientific theory aint interested in your truths, reality, or myths.

13 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

You still confuse me as a religious person, kind of incredible lol.

Your beliefs are shared by s (small) number of groups of religious extremists. Your twisting of the evidence to fit your beliefs is typical of religious extremists.

Walks like a duck, sounds like a duck.

16 minutes ago, beecee said:

No, relativity denotes an excellent verified observation. Scientific theory aint interested in your truths, reality, or myths.

So we can agree its a very well drawn out observance of possibilities?

I just care about being right for some reason, have my whole life. I think to get there you gotta initiate the gut, that is where i feel science took a left at albuquerque.

1 minute ago, Scotty99 said:

So we can agree its a very well drawn out observance of possibilities?

We can agree that it is a overwhelmingly well supported, well evidenced and verifiable theory...both SR and GR.

And as usual with you and your ilk....

21 minutes ago, Strange said:

Your beliefs are shared by s (small) number of groups of religious extremists. Your twisting of the evidence to fit your beliefs is typical of religious extremists.

Walks like a duck, sounds like a duck.

[He got in before I could. :P

I just care about being right for some reason, have my whole life. I think to get there you gotta initiate the gut, that is where i feel science took a left at albuquerque.

There are billions of gut feelings...all can't be right.  Science, and the scientific methodolgy has shown us the way out from childish mythical beliefs and myths. 

Science can only get you so far my dude. I dont know strange or any of the other regular posters here but id fare a wager they were seduced by science at an early age, maybe the beauty of numbers or the fibonacci sequence and how it replicates itself so perfectly in nature. But that is the problem, people get to close to something and they just cant let go, it is now an all or nothing situation. I am odd bird in the sense that i am a true free thinker, and trust me when i say this has more negatives than positives. But what i does allow me to do is distance myself from any sort of bond or preconception i would have as a normal human being. Normal human beings are not intended to figure out the inner workings of the universe, only weirdos like myself are privy. 

9 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

Science can only get you so far my dude.

It has taken me from Santa Claus and other mythical nonsense, to reasonably logical evidenced based explanation of the universe around me........dude!

maybe the beauty of numbers or the fibonacci sequence and how it replicates itself so perfectly in nature. But that is the problem, people get to close to something and they just cant let go, it is now an all or nothing situation.

Pot kettle black old fella! It is you who can't let go...It is you who sees the need to venture into a science forum and crusade your total nonsense....Science isn't afraid to say " We don't know...yet!'  

I am odd bird in the sense that i am a true free thinker,

:D

Normal human beings are not intended to figure out the inner workings of the universe, only weirdos like myself are privy. 

And that just about sums up the arrogance shown by those that believe we are special and privilaged  always  burdened by their religious nonsense.

54 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

*cough* religion *cough*

The only reason i originally posted on this forum was to see if i could find an intellectual equal, in that process ive found that its not about being smart its about figuring out who has the right questions. We are all semi on the same level, but what takes actual brain power is figuring out where to spend it on. I think science gets bogged down in the details a bit too much, important for somethings to be sure but others its a real hinderance.

39 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

But that is the problem, people get to close to something and they just cant let go

The irony of this from a religious person is unbelievable. Someone described science as the process of being continuously wrong. (Almost the exact opposite of your rigid faith-based beliefs.)

40 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

I am odd bird in the sense that i am a true free thinker

Funny how people who say this are usually really narrow minded and convinced of their own beliefs.

41 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

Normal human beings are not intended to figure out the inner workings of the universe, only weirdos like myself are privy. 

And the typical arrogance of the crackpot and True Believer.

Strange just be assured you will be the first to figure out tygon b has a initial thrust of 3.4vectorpunch rendering the equation done at delta force maximous null, your name could be on that plaque.

9 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

Strange just be assured you will be the first to figure out tygon b has a initial thrust of 3.4vectorpunch rendering the equation done at delta force maximous null, your name could be on that plaque.

WTF does that gibberish mean? You seem to have degenerated from unsupported beliefs to some sort of aphasia.

Edited by Strange

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

WTF does that gibberish mean? You seem to have degenerated from unsupported beliefs to some sort of aphasia.

Is that not the goal of every scientist? To get their name somewhere on a plaque claiming they did something world changing? 

19 minutes ago, Strange said:

The irony of this from a religious person is unbelievable. Someone described science as the process of being continuously wrong. (Almost the exact opposite of your rigid faith-based beliefs.)

Actually surprised you didnt get this part. The scientific method is limiting, but you will follow it to the grave because you are so tied to it. It is your religion, far more than anything ive ever tied myself too.

Crazy how you dont get that.

Edited by Scotty99

Just now, Scotty99 said:

Is that not the goal of every scientist? To get their name somewhere on a plaque claiming they did something world changing? 

I doubt it. I imagine there are a whole bunch of reasons for people doing science.

I suppose a lot of people, whatever their work, would like their contributions to be recognised. And I guess many scientists would like to make a paradigm-changing discovery (*). Which is why the claims of "dogma" in science are so moronic.

(*) If I had been a scientist, I would have been the one doing the same experiment for my entire career just to improve the accuracy of the results.And getting absolutely no credit at all!

1 minute ago, Strange said:

(*) If I had been a scientist, I would have been the one doing the same experiment for my entire career just to improve the accuracy of the results.And getting absolutely no credit at all!

It takes a real man to do good work without recognition, maybe we arent so different after all.

5 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

Actually surprised you didnt get this part. The scientific method is limiting, but you will follow it to the grave because you are so tied to it. It is your religion, far more than anything ive ever tied myself too.

Crazy how you dont get that.

The scientific method is used because IT WORKS, not because people have some sort of blind faith. It is tested and changed over time. This is almost the exact opposite of your faith-based approach.

But it is  absolutely expected that the religious will, ignorantly, accuse science of being a religion. We hear it all the time from people who share your beliefs, from Creationists and various other fundamentalists.

5 minutes ago, Strange said:

The scientific method is used because IT WORKS, not because people have some sort of blind faith. It is tested and changed over time. This is almost the exact opposite of your faith-based approach.

But it is  absolutely expected that the religious will, ignorantly, accuse science of being a religion. We hear it all the time from people who share your beliefs, from Creationists and various other fundamentalists.

I dont take quotes from other people i only write down genuine thoughts, i truly see science no different to religion in the sense it is something you hold tight to your chest and will not let go. I gave example of this above which you apparently missed, influenced as a child has a lot to do with this on either side. I was lucky enough to avoid any influence, well at least for the things i am attempting to solve.

46 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

i truly see science no different to religion

Don't worry, that lack of understanding is common to many other religious people. It comes from relying too much on personal opinion, blind faith and ignorance. It is mildly annoying (and very sad) that people are proud to be so ignorant, but it can't actually stop the progress brought about by science. Because, as noted, science WORKS. (Which is why it is not like religion.)

I was lucky enough to avoid any influence

"I was lucky enough to remain ignorant". FIFY

i only write down genuine thoughts

Being "genuine" doesn't compensate for your thoughts being ignorant, faith-based and wrong.

1 hour ago, Scotty99 said:

The only reason i originally posted on this forum was to see if i could find an intellectual equal, in that process ive found that its not about being smart

Maybe you need to find a forum where you will get a better reception. One that is not populated by smart people. A Creationist forum perhaps. Or the Flat Earth society - your approach has a lot in common. And I'm sure that the the Geocentrists have their own forum.

You might have to get used to being attacked for not being religious enough, but that might be a pleasant change for you! :)

Edited by Strange

As noted above science has limits my strange internet forum goer. If we want to answer the big questions you gotta invoke the gut, this i am 100% certain of and no one on this planet could convince me otherwise.

Its basically relativity in a nutshell, what an absolutely friggin delicious sinister theory that one is.

8 minutes ago, Scotty99 said:

As noted above science has limits

Duh. Obviously.

If we want to answer the big questions you gotta invoke the gut

I guess it depends what you consider the "big questions" to be. Ones that can be answered by faith or fantasy are not, in my opinion, "big questions". 

I would have thought the big questions are the ones that can improve lives, provide greater health, wealth and opportunity for people. These can't be answered using "the gut" (ie making stuff up). They demand something more rigorous and evidence based.

i am 100% certain of and no one on this planet could convince me otherwise.

Of course not. Because it is a religious belief. I wouldn't expect anyone or any evidence to change that.

I am fairly unusual on this forum in that I don't care about religion at all; I don't care what you or other people believe. What I will argue against is religious extremists either twisting facts or logic based their beliefs, or trying to do harm to people because of their faith (eg arguing against vaccination, climate change, education, etc)

So I don't care if you believe that the Flat Earth is in the Centre of the Universe supported on the back of a Giant Turtle. You can believe whatever crazy shit you like. Just don't try and justify it by pretending there is science behind it.

But that is so bizarre: on the one hand, you criticise science and say it doesn't have the answer while on the other you grab any bit of science you can twist to support your faith and say "See, science!". This is new level of cognitive dissonance.

Edited by Strange

34 minutes ago, Strange said:

Maybe you need to find a forum where you will get a better reception. One that is not populated by smart people. A Creationist forum perhaps. Or the Flat Earth society - your approach has a lot in common. And I'm sure that the the Geocentrists have their own forum.

You might have to get used to being attacked for not being religious enough, but that might be a pleasant change for you! :)

I actually dont care about any of the conspiracy theorist nutjobs that you speak of. Like i said i posted here originally to see if smart people did exist on the internet, i mean this is the science forum after all surely there has to be a few right lol? You are really good at forum debating but i wouldnt necessarily deem you a smart guy, my guess is you were really good at debate club in college and after finding nothing you were good at in life just settled down here. Dont get it twisted you have the best chance of doing anything on this forum, everyone else ive ran into here are lost in the sauce and unfixable.