Can someone translate ?

Externet

It’s a very old form of German, written in a cursive script used at that time. The first three words mean “The new islands”, but I have difficulty deciphering the rest - is there no higher resolution image available anywhere?

Thanks.

Perhaps searching images as "the first deciphered three words of the title" + "old map"  in German would yield something with better resolution.   How is it exactly written in German in order to search ?

Can only see 'Orient' , 'land',  'ligen',  'gegen',  'Indie',  ' binder?' , 'Hispanien'

Edited: found it!

image.png.f79aaf4867a9a27e873c457fb560babe.png

And the translation is...?

Edited by Externet

The literal translation (I am not really familiar with old German grammar): The new Island so/such as behind Hispanica against/towards the Orient by the Land India/Indies lie/are located.

Edited by CharonY

Ok, the old German text is “Die neuen Inseln / so hinder Hispanien gegen Orient bey dem Land Indie ligen”

I am actually unsure just what it is that they are trying to say here (German is my mother tongue, so I should know lol). I’d translate it something like “The new islands, which lie beyond Spain, in the region of the Orient towards India”. But it’s genuinely not easy to understand, not even for a native speaker.

This is one of the maps from Sebastian Muenster and is one of the early versions of the new world. You see "India" located in the upper left and Zipangri, which likely refers to Marco Polo"s naming of Japan (Zipangu). I.e. it is a map of the Islands (i.e. North and South America and the Caribbean Islands) of the New World which were presumed to lie by India, based on the knowledge available at that time (maybe 50-60 years after Columbus" journey).