Fat in my kitchen sink

Primarygun

We also know how nasty chlorine is, too, and it is used in our drinking water more often.

But, we are not breathing in chlorine.

Recently, there was a news about mercury in thermometer in my region.

A lady broke the thermometer and syringed the mercury into her arms.

Finally, she was discharged later.

Some experts mentioned if she inhaled some mercury vapour, she would have a higher chance of getting closer to death. The doctors who attempted to save the woman's life suited theirselves with protective coats like those wearing to engulf SARS.

Damage to lungs is always more serious than damage to our alimentary canal.

That was a SEVERE over-reaction to mercury exposure. Wow. Mercury is not nearly as toxic in an elemental form as it is in an organic or ionic form. If you inject elemental mercury into your system, then the big problem is the Hg clogging your veins and arteries. You need repeated, chronic exposure to elemental mercury in order to develop any nasty toxicities from it. If you read about all of the mercury poisonings through time, you'll notice that a teency percentage of them are from the pure metal. It's usually the methyl/dimethyl mercury, mercury nitrates, mercury chlorides, etc. that result in poisoning because those forms of mercury are able to disperse in the body much, much more easily than the metal itself. The metal causes a problem if it seeps into floor boards or carpets and slowly leaches out over time. Mercury metal is a chronic toxic material, not an acutely toxic material.

Correct. The metal is not soluble in water or oils, so it cannot get into the tissues. It's the soluble ionic forms, and the organic forms, that allow the mercury to spread thoughout the body quite easily and cross into the brain tissue and other body tissues.

Your father is a very fortuneate individual then. There is absolutely no argument about it; mixing chlorine bleach and aqueous ammonia results in the formation of very deadly chloramine gases. A quick search on google will probably bring up numerous examples of janitors or little old ladies who mixed the two things together in order to clean a bathroom and wound up getting seriously ill and/or passing away from the gas that is formed. Here in Connecticut there was a story about this a few years ago where a janitor at a school accidentally mixed large quantities of bleach and ammonia. I can't imagine the time he spent in the emergency room was a good one. :D

That's Mustard gas right? Saddam's favorite weapon :D. I think I have heard of cats dieing because people cleaned their litter boxes with bleach then the cats pissed in them and died from the gas.

yeah, as i recall mustard gas is (or is related to) 1,4 dichloro diethyl sulfide. it allows for easy ionization, as the sulfur is able to draw carbon to itself forming a sulfonium ion in a cyclic ring with the two carbon from an ethyl group. in doing so, the chlorine on one end is released as chloride.

mustard agents are blistering agents because they produce HCl, which reacts with lung tissue

• 2 weeks later...