Unitive_Mystic

If civilization falls, will people go back to their natural habitat?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Name one...

That is easy. The favorite holiday destination of Norwegians is Spain. And there has have been movements from  refugees (even daring potentially lethal crossings) from (North )Africa to Europe. So rather obviously White folks want seek sun whereas dark skinned folks try to get away from it. Simple, innit?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't have much in the way of civilization when the earliest migrations were originally occurring.

At least with sun you can take simple steps to remedy the issues. People wisely covered up back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

What's that?

A term readily found by a Google search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 4:23 AM, John Cuthber said:

Most don't.

In the event of a collapse of civilisation, the risk of skin cancer or rickets would be pretty low down the list of problems people face. It wouldn't be enough to drive anyone to migrate.

I have white  skin, but if I was "one of the few survivors", I'd move South. It's warmer and easier to farm with a longer growing season.

People on this thread: "People wouldn't migrate, they would have bigger problems

Also people on this thread: "if I was a survivor, I would move south"

 

You should probably reconsider staying north. It's "warmer" in the south but working and hunting in snow and a little cold is much better than sweating under a scorching hot sun in 90+ degree weather most of the year. If you like it, go ahead, however I am a carpenter and the common opinion among people that do physical labour in my experience is that they prefer northern climates, you can get used to cold and wear jackets while in the south, you have a fan which requires electricity and only "cools" down one spot.

5 minutes ago, zapatos said:

A term readily found by a Google search.

Okay so I'm not preaching to anyone. I just don't like where people are taking this discussion with the lack of consideration of my points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2018 at 7:23 PM, Unitive_Mystic said:

I'll continue pushing my ideas until people stop trying to avoid them.

This is pretty much the definition of soap boxing. I've seen born again Christians preaching on street corners doing exactly that. The only thing missing was an actual soap box to stand on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

lack of consideration of my points.

In the real world, most of the replies show consideration of your points.

What they don't show is blind acceptance.

There's a reason for that; your underlying point* is so weak as to be useless. You can hardly expect the discussion on a science site to go along with what you say just because you believe it. At the very lest, people are going to ask for evidence. Some, like CharonY, will point out counter-examples.
If you are not able to defend your position against valid criticism then you should change your mind (or at least, shut up). It's not reasonable to expect us to only discuss what you want to hear.

 

* You said  "people DO migrate for sunlight advantages and people DO have natural habitats that pose greater advantages for their skin color."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

In the real world, most of the replies show consideration of your points.

What they don't show is blind acceptance.

There's a reason for that; your underlying point* is so weak as to be useless. You can hardly expect the discussion on a science site to go along with what you say just because you believe it. At the very lest, people are going to ask for evidence. Some, like CharonY, will point out counter-examples.
If you are not able to defend your position against valid criticism then you should change your mind (or at least, shut up). It's not reasonable to expect us to only discuss what you want to hear.

 

* You said  "people DO migrate for sunlight advantages and people DO have natural habitats that pose greater advantages for their skin color."

 

Well I think some people have considered my points, and I have no problem with defending my position against criticism. I do not see people entertaining my position though, which is odd. I don't expect people to only say what I want to hear but I do expect people to be at least educated enough to be able to entertain my thought. And you don't have to accept my thought without entertaining it.

14 hours ago, zapatos said:

This is pretty much the definition of soap boxing. I've seen born again Christians preaching on street corners doing exactly that. The only thing missing was an actual soap box to stand on.

Okay well what I meant to say was. I will continue presenting my ideas until I find a valid reason I should not have the ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

 I do expect people to be at least educated enough to be able to entertain my thought.

Really? Now you are questioning our education levels and ability to consider your ideas?

Sometimes when you find yourself in a hole, it is best to quit digging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

I do not see people entertaining my position though, which is odd.

I can assure you that not entertaining your view point is far from odd.

Can you guess why?

18 hours ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

I have no problem with defending my position against criticism.

Then why didn't you when I asked?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2018 at 5:43 PM, zapatos said:

Really? Now you are questioning our education levels and ability to consider your ideas?

Sometimes when you find yourself in a hole, it is best to quit digging.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - aristotle. 

If I was in a hole I would stop digging. But you see I'm not in a hole, and I'm also not digging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - aristotle. 

LOL

It's also the mark of an educated man to use a capital letter for Aristotle.


I can, indeed, entertain the idea you put forward. I contemplated it for a while and I realised that there were issues with it.

And I asked you to address those issues.

I'm still waiting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2018 at 2:23 PM, John Cuthber said:

Name one...

Go on the prepper community and see, if you want to learn total self sufficiency you would have to go to an environment that is best suited for you. Ive met some afircan american people that moved to more southern climates because the cold sry air was to hard on their skin and the lack of sunlight led to vitamin D deficiency. They managed to move to nortg Carolina. They say it's much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

Go on the prepper community and see, if you want to learn total self sufficiency you would have to go to an environment that is best suited for you. Ive met some afircan american people that moved to more southern climates because the cold sry air was to hard on their skin and the lack of sunlight led to vitamin D deficiency. They managed to move to nortg Carolina. They say it's much better.

Don't they, normally, just build a bunker in their back yard and fill it with food, water, and guns? Not much sun down there...

Edited by dimreepr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

Go on the prepper community and see, if you want to learn total self sufficiency you would have to go to an environment that is best suited for you. Ive met some afircan american people that moved to more southern climates because the cold sry air was to hard on their skin and the lack of sunlight led to vitamin D deficiency. They managed to move to nortg Carolina. They say it's much better.

That's interesting- perhaps you should explain it to my my mum + dad (both born in Africa)
They complain about the UK weather- but they don't "go home" as you seem to think they should.

Also... you do know that the "prepper" community are not overly  troubled by logic, don't you?

Edited by John Cuthber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unitive_Mystic said:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - aristotle. 

If I was in a hole I would stop digging. But you see I'm not in a hole, and I'm also not digging.

Which is exactly what people have been doing here;  Entertaining your idea, but then ultimately rejecting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.