Fox News Watch

Airbrush

In my retirement I spend many hours every day watching cable news.  I usually prefer MSNBC and CNN.  If there happens to be commercials on both of these then I take a brief look at Fox News or Fox Business News, for as long as I can stand it.  I want to understand the "other side".  Sometimes I see a story on Fox News that I don't see on CNN or MSNBC, so I question it.  I want this discussion to be what you gathered at Fox News and your reaction to it. 

Recently I saw Fox News talking about the new TIME magazine cover with Trump looking down on that little girl that has become a symbol of the brutal separation of kids from parents at the border, and he is saying "Welcome to America."  Fox said this is an example of FAKE NEWS because the little girl on the magazine cover was eventually actually reunited with her mom.  Is that true?  I thought the story may be substantially true, just not absolutely true, which I don't believe is fake news, because the story is in essence TRUE but this little girl would not be the best example.

Another Fox News story is that AG Susan Rice was aware the Russians were messing with the US elections, before the election, but she told her team to STAND DOWN because they thought Hillary would win the election.  So she and Obama are responsible for not stopping the Russians, not Trump.

Could anyone share about these stories, or can you tell us some more Fox News stories that you think are not true?

If you are a fan of Fox News please share what you think is fake news on CNN or MSNBC.

Edited by Airbrush

2 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

In my retirement I spend many hours every day watching cable news.  I usually prefer MSNBC and CNN.  If there happens to be commercials on both of these then I take a brief look at Fox News or Fox Business News, for as long as I can stand it.  I want to understand the "other side".  Sometimes I see a story on Fox News that I don't see on CNN or MSNBC, so I question it.  I want this discussion to be what you gathered at Fox News and your reaction to it. 

Recently I saw Fox News talking about the new TIME magazine cover with Trump looking down on that little girl that has become a symbol of the brutal separation of kids from parents at the border, and he is saying "Welcome to America."  They said this is an example of FAKE NEWS because the little girl on the magazine cover was actually reunited with her mom.  Is that true?  I thought the story may be substantially true, just not absolutely true, which I don't believe is fake news, because the story is in essence TRUE but this little girl would not be the best example.

Another Fox News story Fox is that AG Susan Rice was aware the Russians were messing with the US elections, before the election, but she told her team to STAND DOWN because they thought Hillary would win the election.  So she and Obama are responsible for not stopping the Russians.

Could anyone share about these stories, or can you tell us some more Fox News stories that you think are not true?

If you are a fan of Fox News please share what you think is fake news on CNN or MSNBC.

You spend to much time looking for the car crashes you want to be outraged by; relax, watch a soap.

I don't think I WANT to be outraged.  When Obama was president I had many better interests than politics.  Obama seemed reasonable, educated, knowledgeable, thoughtful, and articulate.  He voiced my own feelings and thoughts.  Because now daily I hear thoughtless, even insane comments from Bozo the Clown, so I am just hoping Bozo reaches his tipping point and causes a blue wave in the midterms.  I am hoping that the migrant crisis on the border of the USA and Mexico will be Trump's Katrina disaster.   I am hoping for Mueller to have something to say before Sept 1st.   I am hoping for impeachment.

Edited by Airbrush

2 hours ago, Airbrush said:

In my retirement I spend many hours every day watching cable news. 

I dumped cable a few years back. I only watch regular TV and Netflix. My exposure to what it happening in the world comes from the journalism I read (NPR, BBC, NYT, Reuters, etc). It has been fantastic!! I can't recommend it strong enough. All cable pundits, even the ones with good intentions, carry the self interested burden of ratings. All of them can't help but to sensationalize everything. It has contributed to the disconnect society at large seems to have towards what is going on. 

I want this discussion to be what you gathered at Fox News and your reaction to it. 

It is often on at the gym I go to. It is pure garbage. Utter partisan propaganda which is unapologetically self aware and aggressive as it can be. 

Nearly everything on FoxNews isn't true. May as well just live stream the channel if you example. FoxNews doesn't represent the "other sides" point of view. It represents their lies. 

I read FOX News along with HuffPost to get my right and left. It's probably a different experience than watching cable news (I think they assume their viewers can't read well, so they don't put much effort into the print). I'm with Ten oz, I read my news. I don't like all the visuals designed to mess with my emotions. I want to be informed, not entertained.

In my experience, it's not so much outright lies that other outlets could nail FOX on. It's crap like showing a picture of a better-attended conservative rally while reporting on a different conservative rally. They parrot conservative talking points that are extremely misleading, like how badly a social program is doing without mentioning it was conservatives who wrote the laws that caused the poor performance (Bush II removing the ability of Medicare to negotiate better drug prices is a great example). It's all heavily slanted, and that's dishonest all by itself. FOX News was only made possible back in 1996 when they removed the requirement that the news had to inform the public. Now it's barely better than a game show.

Comedians like Colbert, Stewart, Noah, and Oliver are doing a better job with real news stories, but FOX News still the biggest joke.

Obama is a secret Muslim, The Clinton's murdered Seth Rich, Hillary Clinton has a serious health issue she is hiding, Loretta Lynch obstructed justice, Obama was born in Kenya, Sandy Hook was a fake, FBI wire tapped Trump Tower, and etc,etc ,etc are all BS conspiracy stories FoxNews has pushed. The game they play is having on people like Alex Jones, Tami Lahren, Glenn Beck, etc, and allow them to lie at length often pointing out  the specific points are good ones or true. Then after the fact passively state than the facts aren't total know or that something hasn't been fully proven yet. Meanwhile they're giving unlimited airtime to the suggestion that the conspiracies are true. That is just one facet of their dishonestly. The also love moving the goal posts. When Obama was president I was constantly seeing FoxNews launch arguments against the way unemployment was calculated as a means of claiming the economy was crap. Today they applaud the numbers despite the calculations being done identically.  Was said is that I am aware of all this without even watching. That is how consistent and loud their message is. Merely being in the vicinity of a TV tuned in to Foxnews every so often is enough to hear the message loud and clear.   

• 3 weeks later...

This morning I was watching Fox News and was surprised that they were showing the thousands protesting Trump's visit in London.  Imagine that!  But overlapping it was an interview with a GOP congressman.  He was arguing that no matter what you think about Trump's mannerisms you can't ignore the facts that (1) he made our economy do great; (2) he reduced unemployment (especially for black Americans), and (3) everybody is benefiting from their huge paychecks because of the tax cuts.

What am I missing of Trump's greatest hits?

What did he do exactly to make the US economy to do so well?  What exactly did he do to reduce unemployment, especially for blacks?   And, yes, everybody is benefiting from his tax cuts, but I heard that (see below) over 20% of the tax benefits go to the wealthiest 1% in 2018, in 2025 the benefits to the wealthiest 1% increases to over 25%.  Then in 2027 the benefits to the wealthiest 1% explodes to 83%.  But what happens AFTER 2027?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/jul/10/tax-march/nevada-tv-ad-cherry-picks-tax-cut-benefits-top-1/

It seems to me that the US economy went onto autopilot after the election of Trump.  His supporters were thrilled and walking on clouds, so their imput into the economy was stimulated.  Never-Trumpers went into a state of shock, and out of FEAR stepped up to try to survive the shock of a strange, unpredictable president.  The flood of incompetent cabinet members, and high turnover, pushed the lower levels of management to step up and maintain order in spite of the insult.  All that excitement (positive and negative) stimulated the economy.  But mostly the talk of tax cuts for the wealthy made the optimistic stock market increase steadily.  Also we have momentum from the good work Obama did.  The same goes for unemployment.  Can anyone explain this?

Edited by Airbrush

11 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

This morning I was watching Fox News and was surprised that they were showing the thousands protesting Trump's visit in London.  Imagine that!  But overlapping it was an interview with a GOP congressman.  He was arguing that no matter what you think about Trump's mannerisms you can't ignore the facts that (1) he made our economy do great; (2) he reduced unemployment (especially for black Americans), and (3) everybody is benefiting from their huge paychecks because of the tax cuts.

What am I missing of Trump's greatest hits?

What did he do exactly to make the US economy to do so well?  What exactly did he do to reduce unemployment, especially for blacks, and yes everybody is benefiting from his tax cuts, but I heard that (see below) over 20% of the tax benefits go to the wealthiest 1% in 2018, in 2025 the benefits to the wealthiest 1% increases to over 25%.  Then in 2027 the benefits to the wealthiest 1% explodes to 83%.  But what happens AFTER 2027?

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/jul/10/tax-march/nevada-tv-ad-cherry-picks-tax-cut-benefits-top-1/

It seems to me that the US went onto autopilot after the election of Trump.  His supporters were thrilled and walking on clouds, so their impute into the economy was stimulated.  Never-Trumpers went into a state of shock, and out of FEAR stepped up to try to survive the shock of a strange, unpredictable president.  All that excitement (positive and negative) stimulated the economy.  But mostly the talk of tax cuts for the wealthy made the optimistic stock market increase steadily.  Also we have momentum from the good work Obama did.  The same goes for unemployment.  Can anyone explain this?

It's specious because of the rhetoric.

8 hours ago, Airbrush said:

It seems to me that the US economy went onto autopilot after the election of Trump. 

Unemployment went from 10% in 2009 to under 5% in 2016 under Obama. The DJIA (stock market) went from under 8,000 in 09' to over 17,000 in 16' under Obama. The whole time  FoxNews and Republicans screamed from the roof tops that it wasn't good enough. That the economy was a mess. Soon as Trump got in office suddenly they changed their tune. Under Obama we consistently saw aboit 2.5% GDP growth per year . During the election Trump lambasted 2.5% as anemic and promised 6% due to his tax proposal. Now that Trump is in office and has his tax cuts in place suddenly 2.5% is terrific. The economy is strong!

Unemployment has dropped every quarter since 2011, Trump has had no impact on that. GDP has consistently remained between 2 & 3 percentage points per quarter, Trump has had no impact. Where Trump has had an impact is in deficits. Obama started with a 1.3 trillion dollar deficit due to the bank bailout but deficits dropped year over year down to the low 400 billions. Trump's 2018 budget had a 1.4 trillion deficit and 2019's is project to be greater than 1.6 trillion. The reason for those deficits is that his team calculated for 5% GDP from the tax cuts and that hasn't happened. 

A lot of people read the room rather than read the facts. Under Obama the economy never felt good to many because Republicans (who held majorities in Congress and governorships) insisted that it wasn't. Reading the room it seemed like they was lots of uncertainty. Now that Trump is in office no one is agruing against the economy. So when reading the room there seems to be agreement. It is a simple trick and is used to muddy the waters on things like evolution and climate science as well. 

And, by engaging in unnecessary trade wars with China, and even allies like Canada and the EU, he is inviting retaliatory action which will do damage to the American economy.
He will not bring back the jobs which left the US 30 plus years ago.

8 hours ago, iNow said:

C8VX_vaXUAMZtVK?format=jpg

:D

The Boots chemist in my city is still developing film and photographs along with the digital printing and the prices have only risen with inflation. One of the technicians said they are still pretty busy developing stuff.

But, yes, he's a dick.

19 hours ago, Ten oz said:

A lot of people read the room rather than read the facts. Under Obama the economy never felt good to many because Republicans (who held majorities in Congress and governorships) insisted that it wasn't.  Reading the room it seemed like there was lots of uncertainty.  Now that Trump is in office no one is arguing against the economy.  So when reading the room there seems to be agreement.  It is a simple trick and is used to muddy the waters on things like evolution and climate science as well. 

Excellent observation about how the room is read :D

Here is what I found about US economic growth 2011 - 2018:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/188185/percent-chance-from-preceding-period-in-real-gdp-in-the-us/

Under Obama Avg  Growth During last 6 years = 2.1%

2011:  1st Qtr  -1.5%,  2nd Qtr  2.9%,  3rd Qtr  0.8%,  4th Qtr  4.6%  = AVG  1.7%

2012:  1st Qtr  2.7%,  2nd Qtr  1.9%,  3rd Qtr  0.5%,  4th Qtr  0.1%  = AVG  1.3%

2013:  1st Qtr  2.8%,  2nd Qtr  0.8%,  3rd Qtr  3.1%,  4th Qtr  4.0%  = AVG  2.7%

2014:  1st Qtr  -0.9%,  2nd Qtr  4.6%,  3rd Qtr  5.2%,  4th Qtr  2.0%  = AVG  2.7%

2015:  1st Qtr  3.2%,  2nd Qtr  2.7%,  3rd Qtr  1.6%,  4th Qtr  0.5%  = AVG  2.0%

2016:  1st Qtr  0.6%,  2nd Qtr  2.2%,  3rd Qtr  2.8%,  4th Qtr  1.8%  = AVG  1.9%

Under Trump Avg Growth for 5 Quarters =  2.6%

2017:  1st Qtr  1.2%,  2nd Qtr  3.1%,  3rd Qtr  3.2%,  4th Qtr  2.9%  = AVG  2.6%

2018:  1st Qtr  2.6%

If you compare the economic growth average for 6 years of Obama (2.1%) to the first year and one quarter under Trump (2.6%), Trump beats Obama by 0.5% annually.  Far from the 4% or 6% annual growth necessary to make up for the tax cut.  If Obama had cut taxes on the wealthy and corporations as much and rolled back regulations, he may have done just as well or better.

Edited by Airbrush

55 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

you compare the economic growth average for 6 years of Obama (2.1%) to the first year and one quarter under Trump (2.6%), Trump beats Obama by 0.5% annually.  Far from the 4% or 6% annual growth necessary to make up for the tax cut.  If Obama had cut taxes on the wealthy and corporations as much and rolled back regulations, he may have done just as well or better

0.5% better when promised 3.9% better is nothing to brag about. Trump's tax cut is highway robbery.

With a tax reform victory within reach, President Donald Trump on Wednesday was feeling even more optimistic about the outlook for U.S. economic growth.

Wildly optimistic, in fact, based on historical data.

Edited by Ten oz
Quote mistake

The forecast below was updated July 11, 2018.  It looks like Trump's plans for great GDP growth is bogus in spite of massive tax cuts and deregulation:

"U.S. GDP growth will rise to 2.8 percent in 2018, 2.4 percent in 2019, and 2.0 percent in 2020. That's according to the most recent forecast released at the Federal Open Market Committee meeting on June 13, 2018. This estimate takes into account Trump's economic policies.

The unemployment rate will drop to 3.6 percent in 2018, and 3.5 percent in 2019 and 2020. That's lower than the Fed's 6.7 percent target. But former Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen admitted a lot of workers are part-time and would prefer full-time work. Also, most job growth is in low-paying retail and food service industries. Some people have been out of work for so long that they'll never be able to return to the high-paying jobs they used to have. Structural unemployment has increased. These traits are unique to this recovery."

Edited by Airbrush

23 hours ago, Airbrush said:
The forecast below was updated July 11, 2018.  It looks like Trump's plans for great GDP growth is bogus in spite of massive tax cuts and deregulation:

"U.S. GDP growth will rise to 2.8 percent in 2018, 2.4 percent in 2019, and 2.0 percent in 2020. That's according to the most recent forecast released at the Federal Open Market Committee meeting on June 13, 2018. This estimate takes into account Trump's economic policies.

The unemployment rate will drop to 3.6 percent in 2018, and 3.5 percent in 2019 and 2020. That's lower than the Fed's 6.7 percent target. But former Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen admitted a lot of workers are part-time and would prefer full-time work. Also, most job growth is in low-paying retail and food service industries. Some people have been out of work for so long that they'll never be able to return to the high-paying jobs they used to have. Structural unemployment has increased. These traits are unique to this recovery."

So if all goes according to the forecast without any down turn happening Trumps first term will see and average of 2.4% GDP growth an increase of a third of a percent vs the Obama years. Meanwhile Trump's annual budget deficits are already doubling Obama's. Long story short Trump and Republican's are celebrating an economy which is no better, perhaps less stable, than what the U.S. has had for the last seven years or so. 

Edited by Ten oz

The only thing good about fox news is pretty women wearing short dresses crossing and uncrossing their legs. Fortunately youtube is riffled with pervs who record it in slow motion and freeze frame and show "it" over and over... Of course I wouldn't watch such stuff, do you have Netflix? Binge watch Star Trek or one of the Netflix original series or shows from the UK or Canadian tv I would suggest Lost Girl but I wouldn't want to be accused of being Canadian.... Best of all no COMMERCIALS! 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:01 AM, Ten oz said:

So if all goes according to the forecast without any down turn happening Trumps first term will see and average of 2.4% GDP growth an increase of a third of a percent vs the Obama years. Meanwhile Trump's annual budget deficits are already doubling Obama's. Long story short Trump and Republican's are celebrating an economy which is no better, perhaps less stable, than what the U.S. has had for the last seven years or so. 

If you average the quarterly economic growth of just the last 4 years of Obama, that is an average of 2.3%.  Compare that to the forecast of 2.8% this year and 2.4% in 2019 for Trump.  You would think his tax cuts and deregulation would have more impact than that.

23 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

If you average the quarterly economic growth of just the last 4 years of Obama, that is an average of 2.3%.  Compare that to the forecast of 2.8% this year and 2.4% in 2019 for Trump.  You would think his tax cuts and deregulation would have more impact than that.

Right, the economy is no better. The govt pumped in huge some of money via tax cuts and increased defense spending yet the Economy is more or less unchanged. 

17 minutes ago, iNow said:

Give it time. Those tariffs are only starting to show their effects. I'm sure it will get worse

Very much so and i hope America suffers and learns a lesson from all this. The 2019 is going to be a tough year for everybody when all the effects start to show in earnest. I hope Trump gets busted before then.

17 minutes ago, iNow said:

Give it time. Those tariffs are only starting to show their effects. I'm sure it will get worse

No doubt. I am trying to not come across as though I am rooting against the country but clearly many things are currently problematic. 

14 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Very much so and i hope America suffers and learns a lesson from all this. The 2019 is going to be a tough year for everybody when all the effects start to show in earnest. I hope Trump gets busted before then.

The whole economy melted down during Bush and we learned nothing. We are right back to deregulation and tax cuts.