How are galaxies expanding along with space time?

Quantum321

47 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Epiphany

Glad you slept on it and thought it through +1. I would encourage you to keep on lutking into this topic and expand your knowledge. 

LOL Sorry but the BB does not explain the Hubble constant and why galaxies are accelerating away from each other. It seems we are back where we started

Moderator Note: The other moderator already gave me a demerit for this. Now you give me another one for the same thing?

Edited by Quantum321

30 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Moderator Note: The other moderator already gave me a demerit for this. Now you give me another one for the same thing?

!

Moderator Note

Moderators give warning points, but you haven't been given any. We don't control the reputation system, though. That's the membership expressing themselves non-vocally about some part of your posts.

5 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Oh I see so someone in the membership is not pleased with my thinking. I don't always accept the current dogma, its sad that other blindly do.

You've been here long enough to know how this place works. Just remember: you are not Galileo.

Giving members the ability to give demerits to others for not going along with the current accepted dogma by mainstream science limits creative thought. As long as anyone does not disrupt the site in an unacceptable way..one should be able to express their ideas

6 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Giving members the ability to give demerits to others for not going along with the current accepted dogma by mainstream science limits creative thought. As long as anyone does not disrupt the site in an unacceptable way..one should be able to express their ideas

We don't want people talking out of their derriere. You have to build from what is known. You can't create an island of an idea in the middle of nowhere and expect it to make scientific sense.

Edited by StringJunky

And if I put forth a concept that is not yet accepted by mainstream science how do you know it isn't already a known fact? Because you haven't heard of it yet doesn't mean it does not exist. I apologize if anything I may say you don't agree with...just ignore it.

4 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

And if I put forth a concept that is not yet accepted by mainstream science how do you know it isn't already a known fact? Because you haven't heard of it yet doesn't mean it does not exist. I apologize if anything I may say you don't agree with...just ignore it.

I'm just saying how it is. If it's not accepted by mainstream science then it's not a fact because it hasn't passed peer review.

I understand your position perfectly. However,  science has progressed far beyond publicized physics and peer review. Advancements have been made that are kept secret for fear other countries may find a way to use it against us. Don't get me wrong, Einstein was a truly revolutionary thinker and changed to world. Its a shame we the public are not privy to the current state of science.

For example. Star wars was supposed to have been cancelled. But it wasn't. The US now has a space based laser satellite. Particle beam weapons have progressed. I know this because I have talked with an engineer who worked on them. And while he could not talk about the details he urged me to look up space based lasers on line.

11 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Advancements have been made that are kept secret for fear other countries may find a way to use it against us.

!

Moderator Note

Please, no more of that. This is NOT a conspiracy site.

If you have evidence, we have time to discuss it in another thread. But we will not allow unsubstantiated assertions in mainstream sections, and conspiracy isn't welcome anywhere on SFN. 

10 hours ago, Quantum321 said:

I am not here to talk about gravity. I just can't accept the premise that matter will go with space as it expands. How could it do that without some mechanism to make it happen?

Let me put it as best as I can in my best layman's style: The discovery of the universe expanding was the first observational clue/evidence that led to the BB theory. [All one needs to do is mentally reverse that expansion] Since then of course other observational data has been forthcoming supporting the BB model overwhelmingly, the final nail in the coffin for alternative models being the discovery of the CMBR. 

What causes spacetime to expand? The momentum itself from the BB is the answer to that, remembering of course that the BB was itself the evolution of space and time, and as counter intuitivley as it may sound, is expanding into nothing. The DE component was observed when it was found that this expansion of the universe/spacetime was accelerating...Our best guess to what this DE is, is simply a property of spacetime itself.

Now with regards to your apparent problem re why the galaxies are moving with the spacetime expansion, as others have informed you, it is actually the space between galactic structures and walls that is expanding: The space between stellar systems and galactic groups such as the one the Milky Way belongs to, is "decoupled" or "overcome" by the gravity  of those galaxies and galactic groups.......similarly on smaller scales the planets stars and even us are held together by the strong and weak nuclear forces and EMF.

The observed expansion as discovered by Edwin Hubble was illustrated in the redshift of light from distant galaxies: This has been determined as a cosmological redshift as distinct from Doppler and gravitational redshifts which also play a part. Andromeda [M31] is blueshifted due to the effects of gravity overcoming the natural spacetime expansion.

Please though stay away from silly ridiculous conspiracy nonsense or invalid attempts to deride the mainstream model by those pushing other barrows. 

Mainstream science exists because it aligns with the scientific methodology and the direction where the abundance of evidence takes us.

3 hours ago, Quantum321 said:

LOL Sorry but the BB does not explain the Hubble constant and why galaxies are accelerating away from each other. It seems we are back where we started

As explained, it is the space between galaxies that is expanding. The BB theory/model along with other lines of evidence is built on that.

Edited by beecee

I see the mistake in your thinking now. You think because we don't know everything, we have to throw away what we do know and go "back where we started". That isn't how science works.

12 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Thank you but I already understand the concepts of BB and what you are saying.

But if you did, I think your incredulousness would be less intense.

I know Einsteins equations explain all of this and this is what scientist have come to accept. It may be counter intuitive but something just doesn't set with me right.

This is a good overview of Einstein's equations: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/node7.html

There is some mathematics, but you can get the gist without understanding that in depth. The two relevant points to this thread is that the movement of things towards one another in the presence of mass-energy (ie what we call "gravity") and the tendency of the distance between things to increase in the absence of mass-energy (or a homogeneous distribution of mass-energy) are the natural consequences of the nature of space-time.

It requires a force to prevent things falling together, and similarly it requires a force to prevent expansion. So, it is the absence of forces holding them together that allows galaxies to drift apart; it is NOT a force pushing them.

1 hour ago, Quantum321 said:

I am not taking about conspiracies. It's just that so much of what  is known in science isn't published to the main stream.

That IS a conspiracy theory.

I did not imply we should throw out everything we have learned. Where did you get that? And I don't think I am being incredulous. I just have not heard any explanation as to how the galaxies  are accelerating their movements away. If you say, as I believe that space is expanding then how are the galaxies being physically influenced by this expansion? If you visualize  galaxies x, y and z as points in the universe. As the space between them expands why should they move at all beyond the original BB expansion? The space will expand but should have no effect of the original positions of these galaxies.

1 minute ago, Quantum321 said:

If you visualize  galaxies x, y and z as points in the universe. As the space between them expands why should they move at all beyond the original BB expansion? The space will expand but should have no effect of the original positions of these galaxies.

"Space" is just the distance between things. So, pretty much by definition, if the space (distance between them) expands then they get further apart.

Sorry but the BB does not explain the Hubble constant and why galaxies are accelerating away from each other.

Uh, what. That is EXACTLY what the Big Bang model explains. It adds lots of details, like the temperature of the CMB, the primordial proportions of hydrogen and helium, etc, but, basically: it explains expansion. That is what it is a theory of.

28 minutes ago, Quantum321 said:

Thank you but I already understand the concepts of BB and what you are saying.

Obviously not.

Strange. " the tendency of the distance between things to increase in the absence of mass-energy (or a homogeneous distribution of mass-energy) are the natural consequences of the nature of space-time. " I honestly don't think that galaxies would accelerate away from each other as a normal consequence of the nature of space-time.  You just don't get acceleration from the lack of a gravitational attraction. Sorry, but I just don't buy it...

Doesn't make sense to me.

That is a problem with your understanding, not with the model.

Just now, Quantum321 said:

Strange. " the tendency of the distance between things to increase in the absence of mass-energy (or a homogeneous distribution of mass-energy) are the natural consequences of the nature of space-time. " I honestly don't think that galaxies would accelerate away from each other as a normal consequence of the nature of space-time.  You just don't get acceleration from the lack of a gravitational attraction. Sorry, but I just don't buy it...

It doesn't really matter what you think. That is what the model says.

strange. " So, pretty much by definition, if the space (distance between them) expands then they get further apart. " Yes I know this is the prevailing explanation. But in my explanation of the three galaxies I don't see how space expansion between them should influence them at all.