Bachelor diploma requirements.

Nicollete

I am working on my bachelor degree diploma. I know that every part of university work should be scientific, but I am not good at math so well enough to make inventions or my own algorythms. Consequently, I have a question, is that allowed for a bachelor diploma to make it just like a review of invented methods? So that my work will be dedicated to some field, but the methods will be not mine, but presented  as an analysis of existing algorythms? Will it be Ok for a bachelor?

You're better off asking your supervisors/tutors or consulting the course literature - they should know definitively. Might also help us to help you to know what the course is. My experience is that undergraduate work does not have to be novel and very rarely is, so a (thorough) review would be fine. Note that a review itself can be a significant piece of work, in medicine for instance a large meta-analysis could take a small team a few years.

When you describe your course in your next post, please include the place / country and subject level in the system as some countries use the qualification words differently.

This applies to both 'degree' and 'diplomas' or diploms as some have it.

26 minutes ago, Prometheus said:

You're better off asking your supervisors/tutors or consulting the course literature - they should know definitively. Might also help us to help you to know what the course is. My experience is that undergraduate work does not have to be novel and very rarely is, so a (thorough) review would be fine. Note that a review itself can be a significant piece of work, in medicine for instance a large meta-analysis could take a small team a few years.

Bachelor degree in Applied Mathematics. In my work I analyse algorithms, that is already known in science. I worry a lot wondering will it be Ok for a Bachelor?

37 minutes ago, Nicollete said:

Bachelor degree in Applied Mathematics. In my work I analyse algorithms, that is already known in science. I worry a lot wondering will it be Ok for a Bachelor?

If you don't construct novel algorithms in your course, I can't see how you can be expected to do that in exam work because you haven't got the practice.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

When you describe your course in your next post, please include the place / country and subject level in the system as some countries use the qualification words differently.

This applies to both 'degree' and 'diplomas' or diploms as some have it.

Worry not. (and concentrate on your coursework).

Many first degree was a Batchelor in Applied Mathematics (though it was a very long time ago).

Although I obtained subsequent qualifications, it had let me into a widely varied career in structural engineering, the offshore oil industry, aircraft engines, electronic and computer engineering, gas distribution to name a few.

But your degree must be more than "a review of invented methods".

Any mathematician must have a good overview of the structure behind mathematics and how it all links together. This is all known stuff, nothing new here.

But an applied mathematician also needs to know quite a bit of the Science of what (s)he is applying the mathematics to.

These days even Masters courses are basically 'taught'; you don't really develop anything new, that comes at or after Doctorate.

So practice one all the examples you can.

Finally there is plenty of help here at ScienceForums for when you get stuck.

:)

1 hour ago, studiot said:

These days even Masters courses are basically 'taught'...

Yes. I think this is the difference between an MSc and an MRes - the latter more weighted towards research than examination.

At undergrad level i imagine you will be able to something pretty standard like a Poisson process and explore why it would or wouldn't work in, say,  hospital admissions - drawing examples from the literature. Usually boils down to the assumptions in a model and how well they reflect reality. But ask your course leaders to be sure.

Edited by Prometheus

• 1 month later...

The balance between original work and mastering the work of others varies by institution and major, and often by the professors teaching certain classes.  Keep working hard and the capacity for original work will come eventually.  Most of my own original work is just connecting the work of others in new ways.  The more work of others you have mastered, the more potential you have to connect their work in new and different ways creating original work.