life long lucid dream horror

Hi everyone: I'm new to the forum, but I hope you won't mind if I start with a question. I'm 27 now, and ever since I was 15 I've had the same dream over and over. I'm having a normal dream and then suddenly a man comes into my bedroom and stands next to my bed and says he has something he has to tell me. I can't see the man, it's more like I sense his presence and can read his thoughts. I think this is a lucid dream because whenever it happens I start fighting the paralysis feeling like mad and trying to wake myself up. Usually, I'll then dream that I have managed to wake myself up, only to realize that I'm still asleep and the whole thing starts all over. The first time it happened I told my father about it and he said I had to listen to what the man had to say- but it's been 12 years and I still haven't managed it- the man's presence just scares me so much. I think this might be connected to a dream I had when I was 11- I dreamt that I woke up and two balls of light were floating next to my bed and speaking to each other with streams of electricity that shot back and forth between them. But that experience wasn't scary in the least, I simply pulled the covers over my head and went back to sleep, so maybe these two dreams are unrelated. Anyway, how do I make myself calm down and listen to the man? 12 years is too long! Thanks!

Wow, welcome to the forum. Lucid dreaming is a popular topic here, so you'll probably get a lot of replies and suggestions. Instead of fighting the paralysis, try teleporting out. It's hard to describe how to do it, but once you know it's a dream, teleporting isn't hard to do. After you're somewhere else, stand there and summon up the man face to face. Then ask him what he's trying to tell you. Not sure if it'll work, but it's a thought.

Hi, before you beat yourself up over this let me tell you that...

dreams you no relivance or meaning what so ever. Theyre not magical or visions, and whatever that anoying man is trying to tell you doesnt mean anything. Because its not him telling you any thing, they are all your thoughts and memories anyways. When you sleep and dream, the brain "shuts down" most of itsself, including the part that is responsible for logic & rational thought. Which explains why noone ever thinks what is going on in thier dreams while they are dreaming is strange.

I know this probably doesnt help much, and i cant tell you why you keep having the same dream over, just wanted to say that its really all just brain activity and there is no hidden meaning =P

I have to disagree with you about dreams having no meaning. I'm not saying that everything you dream will predict the future, tell you how you feel, etc.

However, the brain doesn't shut down most of itself when you dream. You can still percieve external influences when you dream. I've heard music from in my dreams, woken up from certain sounds, etc.

Many people do think what goes on in their dream is strange while they're dreaming. Check out the thread about controlling dreams and when you wake up. http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6331

If dreams are just brain activity, then what's more than just brain activity?

Ok, let me rephrase all that. The brain doesnt "shut down" itsself, but since your in your subconscious your unable to really access any parts of your brain by yourself( its why you cant shout or move or whatever when you have a scary dream) including your frontal lobe which is responsible for perception, logic thought, planning etc. On the other hand the front lobe is the most active part of the brain while dreaming(but not of your own free will) therefore giving you a warped sense of reality which you accept as normal. And to the thing about hearing music while dreaming, ive had that too, but, even though i knew what i was hearing, i could not make out the exact text, the beat, or to say the least, even focus on what it was. i was standing somewhere in my dream, and all of a sudden i heard strange music, and that was that. i accepted that as reality. if i was standing out in the woods in real life and heard music, i would wonder what the hell was going on. So you really dont have logic thought. I guess every ones brain is different anyways and everyone will have different brain activity and patterns...but any dream-standing-bead-hovering-man isnt going to tell you something you dont already know. Its either a memory,something you think about and/or hope for, or a fear, or bits of many different random bits of information stored in your subconscious(which is what most dreams are). But the fact that this person has had this dream 12 years is pretty in disturbing. maybe some underlying psychic disturbance or some unresolved issue...or maybe NOTHING, just brain accessing the same patterns of information....

Good points. "Its either a memory,something you think about and/or hope for, or a fear, or bits of many different random bits of information stored in your subconscious(which is what most dreams are)." Yeah, and since you aren't aware of most of the things you think of, these dreams put forward some of those memories, fears, hopes, bits, etc. that you might want to consider thinking about before tossing them aside.

When you first had this dream there was probably something important that your subconscious wanted your conscious mind to acknowledge. The method it chose, a scary man standing over your bedside giving ominous warnings, was a bit overwhelming. The thought of some important, yet overlooked, or somehow repressed memory or information that might be essential to your well-being surfacing to demand your attention is a powerful concept that has made an impact on you.

The fear, or perhaps just awe-inspiring interest, of this concept has made a long-lasting imprint on your mind, beyond the specific idea that the original dream involved. This fear or interest has fueled the dream's reoccurrence.

In order to prevent the future reoccurrence of this dream you need to diminish the association between this dream and the fear or interest that it has spawned. Do not attempt to flee from this dream or engage in a hostile confrontation with the dream or the entity in the dream. By doing this you only add fuel to the fear that drives it.

You should meet the dream head on, but not in a confrontational manner. The next time you have this dream you should do something completely absurd. Offer the man a piece of blackberry pie while singing "Puff the magic dragon." Give the man a hug and tell him you want to meet him at Bugger King to do some flower arrangement. Visualize whatever absurd scenario you choose in detail and have it ready for the next time you have the dream.

Just visualizing this may prevent this dream from ever reoccurring. If not then by the second or third time that you put a top hat on him and start dancing the running man the dream will loose all of its significance and you will probably never have it again. This method is similar to the method used to alleviate stage fright by imagining everyone in the audience just wearing their underwear.

• 3 weeks later...

so you lucid dream? ok here's what you do.

Since you already know that you're dreaming, TAKE OUT A LIGHT SABER AND GET A HEAT DETECTOR GLASSES AND FIND THAT MAN AND CHOP HIM UP AND SAY DONT BOTHER ME AGAIN AND HE WILL GO AWAY.

Dude, it's a lucid dream, you can do whatever you want.