So who's going to win the world cup?

Lord Antares

43 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

Croatia are doing really well; Argentina were lolworthy they were so bad last night. 

With all the ‘good’ teams being distinctly average, anyone has a chance imo.

I think there''s usually  a fair amount of psychology going on between the famous and not-so-famous teams in big tournaments. The latter can feel intimidated by these players worth many millions each, when, at the end of the day, they are just footballers like them with all the human frailties. Money puts an aura around rich people and it's BS really. This tournament seems to be highlighting that for some reason. Only Ronaldo's looking like a Pele or Maradona,, so far.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

What's he done?

Completely shameful display against Costa Rica. Dove at least 10 times. Ref awarded the pen to him but disallowed it after reviewing VAR footage for the pathetic simulation. Didn't receive a yellow. Later on threw a hissy fit throwing the ball against the floor when the ref gave Costa Rica a foul. Told a Costa Rican player to stop acting and get up from the floor lol.

Really shameful, even Brazillians are hating on him right now.

1 hour ago, Scott of the Antares said:

Croatia are doing really well; Argentina were lolworthy they were so bad last night. 

With all the ‘good’ teams being distinctly average, anyone has a chance imo.

Aside from you stealing my name, I agree. I think Belgium and Croatia have shown the best football yet. All the ''good'' nations were really subpar.

5 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

Completely shameful display against Costa Rica. Dove at least 10 times. Ref awarded the pen to him but disallowed it after reviewing VAR footage for the pathetic simulation. Didn't receive a yellow. Later on threw a hissy fit throwing the ball against the floor when the ref gave Costa Rica a foul. Told a Costa Rican player to stop acting and get up from the floor lol.

Really shameful, even Brazillians are hating on him right now.

Aside from you stealing my name, I agree. I think Belgium and Croatia have shown the best football yet. All the ''good'' nations were really subpar.

He's doing the old-version of Ronaldo proud then... he always looked like he was ready to fall over if someone even thought of tackling him. :) 

Just now, StringJunky said:

He's doing the old-version of Ronaldo proud then... he always looked like he was ready to fall over if someone even thought of tackling him. :) 

But this is a whole new level. I've never seen so many dives in one match. He was worse than Moses.

8 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

But this is a whole new level. I've never seen so many dives in one match. He was worse than Moses.

Yeah, I watched one just now and it was pathetic, I like this headline: "Dive, score, cry: Neymar earns rave reviews for acting masterclass in Brazil's win over Costa Rica"

It's sad when really good footballers stoop this low. 

Edited by StringJunky

The hard-working ( and lucky ) Icelanders came up against a team that works even harder, and are leaving the tournament.
Nigeria looks set to go through, as I don't think Argentina can pull off a decisive win.

England ( my favorite as Italy didn't qualify ) shouldn't have a problem with Panama ( but you never know ).
The first test of their mettle will come against Belgium.

20 minutes ago, MigL said:

The hard-working ( and lucky ) Icelanders came up against a team that works even harder, and are leaving the tournament.
Nigeria looks set to go through, as I don't think Argentina can pull off a decisive win.

England ( my favorite as Italy didn't qualify ) shouldn't have a problem with Panama ( but you never know ).
The first test of their mettle will come against Belgium.

This squad don't have the weight of great expectations on them, so maybe they can just focus on playing.

Edited by StringJunky

Hated seeing Nigeria leave the tournament after that lucky, half-hearted attempt by Argentina.
Should have gone the other way.

I'm reminded of a quote by Michael   Jordan...
" Some athletes want great things to happen, and, some athletes wish for great things to happen.
Great athletes make great things happen."

As much as I detest C Ronaldo's smugness, it is by his determination that Portugal is playing as well as they are.
L Messi, on the other hand, seems disinterested in the tournament.
Hope France puts an end to his misery.

50 minutes ago, MigL said:

Hated seeing Nigeria leave the tournament after that lucky, half-hearted attempt by Argentina.
Should have gone the other way.

I'm reminded of a quote by Michael   Jordan...
" Some athletes want great things to happen, and, some athletes wish for great things to happen.
Great athletes make great things happen."

As much as I detest C Ronaldo's smugness, it is by his determination that Portugal is playing as well as they are.
L Messi, on the other hand, seems disinterested in the tournament.
Hope France puts an end to his misery.

ENGA-LUND!  :D

On 6/25/2018 at 8:26 PM, StringJunky said:

So, should England play to lose against Belgium, so they don't meet Germany or Brazil just yet?

I think they should rest a few key players and blood a few noobs but always play to win, especially since the German curse is no longer with us. :o

Gotta play H though. ;)

I'm glad Germany are out.

I'd like England to win. 

I'd like Mexico to do well so we can shove it up somebody's arse about how their shithole country did so well compared to his. :P In fact - Come on all the underdogs!

Glad to see Argentina and Portugal leave the tournament to France and Uruguay.
I predict Russia and Denmark will leave tomorrow, courtesy of Spain and Croatia.
And Mexico and Japan will be undone by Brazil and Belgium on Monday.

On Tuesday, I think Sweden will be bested by the Swiss, but England could have a tough time with Colombia.

Really hot today. Opened the back windows of my vehicle to exchange the air when the AC came on, on my way to work this morning, and lost my White with red cross, English flag on the highway.
will have to pick up another before Tuesday.

I just watched Russia eliminate Spain on penalty kicks.  Spain dominated the game (about 80% possession) BUT took few shots on goal.  Russia played a defensive game and was lucky to get a penalty kick because of an unintentional hand ball.  Spanish players need to practice their penalty kicks!

I think these are the teams with the best records (at 7-1-18 correct me if I'm wrong), so I would think the champ will be among these, but you never know!

(Team  Win-Draw-Loss)

Croatia 3-0-0

Uruguay 3-0-0

Belgium 3-0-0

France 3-1-0

Russia 3-0-1

Brazil 2-1-0

Mexico 2-0-1

England 2-0-1

Sweden 2-0-1

Who am I missing?

Edited by Airbrush

I just finished watching Croatia eliminate Denmark by a shoot out.  Very poor penalty kicks on both sides.  Shame on both teams.  So many low shots easily blocked.  Consider the fact that no goalie can block a penalty kick that goes with force into one of the top corners.  So the wise should start practicing at hitting the top corners with good force routinely. ;)

This world cup is a nightmare for all people who bet.

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

I just finished watching Croatia eliminate Denmark by a shoot out.  Very poor penalty kicks on both sides.  Shame on both teams.  

I lost 3 years of life expectancy watching that game. So much drama towards the end.

44 minutes ago, swansont said:

Since the goalkeeper always guesses one side or another on penalty kicks, I wonder why there isn't more shooting at the center, elevated somewhat. (To avoid a lucky block by the feet)

If they did that, there would at least be a chance of the goalkeeper getting it with his legs. The real question is why no one shoots in the top corners since those are technically undefendable. Are they so bad that after training football for like 20 years they still can't hit the upper corner from 11 meters out?

25 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

I lost 3 years of life expectancy watching that game. So much drama towards the end.

Are they so bad that after training football for like 20 years they still can't hit the upper corner from 11 meters out?

Frankly, I don’t find football interesting, never did...but I watch some games because I come from a place where its considered weird not to engage in interest in football. I never bet on sports, I prefer poker - more control than betting on games and more adrenaline and certainly engaging in more complex situations than sitting and watching what gets done without any input. But thats just me, I can understand the thrill of betting on sports. As for the 20 years of training and not being able to hit the window from 11 metres, think about the stress...I stopped playing a sport professionally when I was in my 20’s because of not being able to perform under stress, its quite common that you make simple mistakes in high stress situations, guys who manage stress best in sports are winners. 

6 hours ago, swansont said:

Since the goalkeeper always guesses one side or another on penalty kicks, I wonder why there isn't more shooting at the center, elevated somewhat. (To avoid a lucky block by the feet)

It is actually a somewhat common tactic.The final save by the Russian goalie was on that type of shot, but amazingly was not successful as the Russian goal keeper blocked it with his foot while diving away from it. He did in fact raise his foot high enough to get it.

2:10 in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAAuptp9QHU&feature=onebox

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

5 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

It is actually a somewhat common tactic.The final save by the Russian goalie was on that type of shot, but amazingly was not successful as the Russian goal keeper blocked it with his foot while diving away from it. He did in fact raise his foot high enough to get it.

2:10 in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAAuptp9QHU&feature=onebox

He actually kicks it a little left, same direction as the goalkeeper dove, and not that far off the ground, which is why the keeper made the save.

And that's one out of nine, and in the other game one out of ten (IIRC). Common would be a little closer to 33%

Missing by a little bit is probably why they don't go for the upper corner. You can miss high, or wide.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

He actually kicks it a little left, same direction as the goalkeeper dove, and not that far off the ground, which is why the keeper made the save.

And that's one out of nine, and in the other game one out of ten (IIRC). Common would be a little closer to 33%

Missing by a little bit is probably why they don't go for the upper corner. You can miss high, or wide.

Not what I intended to imply. I did qualify it somewhat...to "somewhat common".

My guess is that he shaded left reading the goalies movement faking to the right.

It is a bit of a game where they try not to telegraph their shot, but not to the degree that it affects accuracy too much, and yet leave a bit of option on placement in the last fraction of a second...so they hope to beat the goalie even if the goalie guesses correctly. Sometimes they balk a bit to see if the goalie commits early then totally change the shot.

I think it would be a better contest if the moved the ball back a couple metres.

A much better way to break the tie, IMO, would be to play 9 on 9 starting the overtime, then proceed to reduce it further every 10 minutes or so until someone scores...penalty shots are a horrible way to decide World Cups.